ATI drivers fix

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Warbleeder

ATI drivers fix

Post by Warbleeder »

This works for my system.... (only tested on mine) i have 2X ati radeon 5770 hawks xfire enabled

go to AMD.com and download driver

then go to command promt and enter the following

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libqtgui4

sudo sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric (MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric) as this is my step by step

now restart ... then open terminal and type in the following

fglrxinfo

this should then display something like
display: :0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11399 Compatibility Profile Context

any problems give me a shout
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Warbleeder

Re: ATI drivers fix

Post by Warbleeder »

i forgot to mention on the following part...
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric (MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric) as this is my step by step

the best way to do this is to type sudo sh into terminal then click you ATI download and drag to terminal so it will tell the terminal where your downloaded file is for the install ....and look like this sudo sh download...amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric ....
Warbleeder

Post by Warbleeder »

PLEASE NOTE MINT 12 GNOME that was tested
AllGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AllGamer »

interesting i'll give this a shot, i rarely check ATI website as they used to be always behind times with the latest drivers for Linux

i've been having lots of artifacts and desync errors with the drivers from LinuxMint 12 sources, yet on Ubuntu 11.10 it works just fine.
but they were fine back in LinuxMint 11 (ubuntu 10.10)

Hopefully this fixes the problem for my 2 desktop PCs with ATI card
Warbleeder

Post by Warbleeder »

yep same problem i had.. but it also worked fine in mint 11.... i dont know if it will work for everyone
and it was a long shot when i did it
if it works fine for you please leave a post with your video card so people know :)

thanks
AllGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AllGamer »

yup confirmed working here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=93285

At the time of this reply it was driver version
AMD Catalyst™ 11.11 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver
101 MB
1/25/2012

from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English

the installation is straight forward, i couldn't imagine it was that easy :)

after you download the file amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run
change the permission of the file to "Allow executing file as program"
then run it from a terminal as sudo ./amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run
the rest is just next > next > next > next > finish
and reboot the PC
done

enjoy :D
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

Followed the above, everything seemed to run OK, but I checked out the software version in the Catalyst Control Center applet, and find version is still 11.11, which it was before I upgraded.

So I redid everything watched the results of output more closely and see all of these errors

Did the upgrade of the driver really happen? If so, why doesn't version show 12.1 ?

Also, I notice that I have two Catalyst Control Center in my control center, one is labeled (Administrative), and when I click it, it will not run. The other, non-admin, I can open. How do I open the other?

Thanks for all the help! You're really a huge help to an Ubuntu refugee!

objdump: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/pxpress/alt_ld.so.conf: File truncated
objdump: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/pxpress/ld.so.conf: File format not recognized
objdump: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf: File truncated
objdump: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf: File format not recognized
debian/rules override_dh_shlibdeps
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/fglrx.8XXL2P'
dh_shlibdeps -l/tmp/fglrx.8XXL2P/debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx:/tmp/fglrx.8XXL2P/debian/fglrx/usr/lib32/fglrx -Xlib32
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlsym used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextCreateExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XInitExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XRead used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XInitThreads used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol sem_close used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XCloseDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XOpenDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZN7Utility25QueryPerformanceFrequencyEv used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XDisplayString used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 14 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atieventsd contains an unresolvable reference to symbol XauFileName: it's probably a plugin.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XOpenDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReadPad used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFree used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlsym used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XGetErrorDatabaseText used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlclose used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XMaxRequestSize used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XCreateGC used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XFreeFontInfo used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XEHeadOfExtensionList used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 22 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZStlsISt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIcT_ES5_c used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZSt20__throw_out_of_rangePKc used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZNSolsEPFRSoS_E used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol pthread_mutexattr_settype used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol pthread_create used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZSt18_Rb_tree_incrementPSt18_Rb_tree_node_base used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZNKSs6substrEmm used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZNSs13_S_copy_charsEPcS_S_ used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZNSolsEy used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _ZNSt14basic_ofstreamIcSt11char_traitsIcEE4openEPKcSt13_Ios_Openmode used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: 106 other similar warnings have been skipped (use -v to see them all).
dpkg-shlibdeps: error: couldn't find library libstdc++.so.6 needed by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerBe.so (ELF format: 'elf32-i386'; RPATH: '').
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextCreateExtension used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XRead used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextAddDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReply used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XFlush used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextRemoveDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextFindDisplay used by debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXrender.so.1 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atieventsd debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/aticonfig debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfontconfig.so.1 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXinerama.so.1 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libSM.so.6 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXcursor.so.1 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXfixes.so.3 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfreetype.so.6 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libICE.so.6 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXxf86vm.so.1 could be avoided if "debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: error: Cannot continue due to the error above.
Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have any shlibs or symbols file.
To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/fglrx.substvars debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libaticaldd.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libXvBAW.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerAg.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libSlotMaximizerBe.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/dri/fglrx_dri.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libaticalrt.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libatiadlxx.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libatiuki.so.1.0 debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/aticonfig debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/fgl_glxgears debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atieventsd debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdnotifyui debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atiode debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/atiodcli debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/bin/fglrxinfo debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libamdocl64.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/amdxmm.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/linux/libfglrxdrm.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/glesx.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libaticalcl.so debian/fglrx/usr/lib/fglrx/libOpenCL.so.1 returned exit code 2
make[1]: *** [override_dh_shlibdeps] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/fglrx.8XXL2P'
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.EnpqAv
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

I have done both ways the amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run installation. Driver works, but not perfectly.
I have radeon 5770, Mint 12 cinnamon, Dell 1600x1200 monitor.

Issues:

Print screen buttom, screenshots aren't working correctly. Like timing is off or it takes from wrong buffer or something.
Sometimes screen flickers, like it's drawing hole screen again.
Some softwares, like example Stellarium doesn't work correctly.
Sometimes when softwares menus are drawn you can see short flicker like wallpaper through softwares in area where menu is drawn.

At the moment default openGL driver for radeon 5770 seem to work better: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

Still no solution to GNOME freezing. In Control Center / Additional Drivers I find two "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics drivers". One is that name, the other is that name with "(post-release updates)" appendeded to it. "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics drivers" I can activate, the other will not activate. Significant? Seems to me that a post-release update would be the better one to have running. How can I find out why it won't activate? Or is it not really that important. I attempted to install the update through Synaptic, but when I attempt to then activate it in Additional Drivers, it fails and sends me to /var/log/jockey.log which is meaningless to me. Looks alot like the errors above. Tried to attach but get "The extension is not allowed" regardless of what I name the file.

So all I can activate is the apparently older one - "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver"

I have repeatedly attempted the steps at the top of this thread, but "AMD Catalyst Control Center" still shows I am at driver version 11.11.

If getting upgraded to 12.1 is crucial to getting GNOME / Cinnamon running, what do I have to do to get upgraded? Is there a log I can check to find out why the upgrade fails? I've posted the output that looks bad to me. But I can't figure out if it's telling me anything.

C'mon, Mint 12 can't really have this kind of basic graphics problem, can it? Say it ain't so!
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm I'm sticking with mint11 until there's a MUCH better driver out. (although i suspect mutter is also to blame)
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

Yes, unfortunately, it seems that Mint 12 is not quite ready for prime time for everyone. It may work if you have the the right graphics card, and can get the matching driver, but otherwise, seems buggy still.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

although it's not a mint porblem per se - i hear things are the same on the ubuntu side of things and I presume that most other distros with similar package versions suffer the same problem atm....
AllGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AllGamer »

gotjazz wrote:although it's not a mint porblem per se - i hear things are the same on the ubuntu side of things and I presume that most other distros with similar package versions suffer the same problem atm....
i do not concur, in ubuntu 11.10 it works perfectly fine with the default drivers from the repository

there was no need to install the AMD / ATI drivers for it to work properly

however in Mint 12, the drivers from the repository was causing the flickering horribly, and the solution was to install the ATI drivers from AMD website
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

AllGamer wrote:
gotjazz wrote:although it's not a mint porblem per se - i hear things are the same on the ubuntu side of things and I presume that most other distros with similar package versions suffer the same problem atm....
i do not concur, in ubuntu 11.10 it works perfectly fine with the default drivers from the repository

there was no need to install the AMD / ATI drivers for it to work properly

however in Mint 12, the drivers from the repository was causing the flickering horribly, and the solution was to install the ATI drivers from AMD website
au contraire mon frere (i have no idea how to spell this :mrgreen: ) - there is no "solution" at all yet.

even the most current ati drivers manage fluid video playback in either unity or gnome-shell - while lxde for example is just fine installed on top of either mint or ubuntu. maybe we have different hardware though.
mayanklal

Post by mayanklal »

I'm have recently installed Linux Mint 12 in VirtualBox 4.1.x on my hp dv6 6121 laptop. It has ATI 6770m graphics card. In GNOME 3 mode when I run it, there is the problem of missing taskbar and i am not able to run any applications. I am not even able to run update manager. Is it a problem of ATI driver? Should I install it separately on VirtualBox?
Any help will be appreciated.
Warbleeder

Post by Warbleeder »

Sorry as i said before this may not work for every one ... if i install the repos version in mint 12 i have bad problems

but if i download from amd and do the above instructions mine is fine ..

ps dose anyone know how to check xfire in terminal?
AllGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AllGamer »

the latest ATI propietary 12.2 drivers seems to have fixed everything.
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-d ... x86_64.run
No more flickes, and Multi monitor is working properly now
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Yeah, it's about time. Installed 12.2. No more flickering, freezing/slow redraws & the fonts in all the menus & toolbars look fine. :D
gotjazz

AW: Re: ATI drivers fix

Post by gotjazz »

Alpha-Geek wrote:Yeah, it's about time. Installed 12.2. No more flickering, freezing/slow redraws & the fonts in all the menus & toolbars look fine. :D
How's HD video playback?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus S mit Tapatalk
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: AW: Re: ATI drivers fix

Post by Alpha-Geek »

gotjazz wrote:
Alpha-Geek wrote:Yeah, it's about time. Installed 12.2. No more flickering, freezing/slow redraws & the fonts in all the menus & toolbars look fine. :D
How's HD video playback?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus S mit Tapatalk
You mean like youtube & vimeo? Works fine!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”