couldnt install usb evdo modem in linux mint debian edition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
saemeer.x421

couldnt install usb evdo modem in linux mint debian edition

Post by saemeer.x421 »

hey i have qualcomm usb modem 6000 and it supports windows is there any way it could be installed in this distro... is it possible to download a different driver for the modem ... plz anyone , i would appreciate if anyone helped me to sort this out ???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkit

Re: couldnt install usb evdo modem in linux mint debian edit

Post by Inkit »

In my experience most usb modems have native support in Mint. Follow these directions and hopefully you'll be up and running.

Log into mint and plug in the modem. Wait for a few minutes till the light changes to green (if it has that feature, if not just wait for a few minutes).
Right click on the network manager icon --> edit connections --> mobile broadband --> add. the network manager icon is the one next to the date and time on your taskbar.
In the popup that comes up, your device should be listed at the bottom in the dropdown. If it's not there, just wait for a few more minutes and try again. It sometimes takes as much as 5 min before the device is recognized.
After that just click next, following the directions for country and service provider. Click finish.
In the new popup, you can give your connection a name at the top. Leave everything else as is. close.
Right click on the network manager icon --> Enable mobile broadband.
Left click on the network manager icon --> click on your connection (The name that you assigned it will be displayed)
You should get connected in a few seconds.

Please post back if you run into any issues.
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

thnx for the suggestion i would definitely gonna try this and get back to you !!!!
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

hey when i got into "the network manager icon --> edit connections --> mobile broadband --> add" it didnt show my device waited for 30 min nthn happened , i tried re inserting my usb modem still nothing ....
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Donno what's wrong then.
Try following the procedure here http://installing-huawei-cdma-modem-in- ... ogspot.in/. It's a different way, and gives you both a gui as well as command line option. May work.
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

anwz thnx for ur help . . . i went through that blog too but it didnt work ... i guess it works only for windows and doesnt support linux !!! :((
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Quite possible, although the new kernel generally has support for most usb devices.
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

hey just to check i just entered a live dvd to check whether the same happens or not but while booting from live dvd it showed the modem and i even connected through it , but after installing mint in the system it didnt show any so what does it imply ???
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Have you installed mint to a different partition, or within windows? if you have installed within windows, you may not be able to connect to the 3G modem. I don't know exactly why, but the same thing happened for me too. Only when I installed on a separate partition did I manage to connect to the net.
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

i actually removed windows and installed mint ... i only had mint in my sustem and this problem occured !!!
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

I can't think of any other reason why this is happening except maybe that something that you tried earlier may have messed up your settings. Did you try the wvdial method or some other method before you tried this? If so the only thing I can suggest is for you to reinstall and then try. Hopefully it will work then.
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

reinstalled twice but nothing happened ....
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Really sorry, but I have no idea why this is happening. Maybe someone else who knows more can help.
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

its okay with me anwz thnx for the response .... :)
aksonlyaks

Post by aksonlyaks »

Ur device is recognisd by Linux or not u can know by seeing the dmesg after inserting the modem. If it shows ttyUSBx where x can be some number,then u can connect ur modem.. So just conform this first
saemeer.x421

Post by saemeer.x421 »

i did that but didnt get what i expected ..... i guess i should try installing its driver first , to install windows driver it needs ndiswrapper first , i downloaded it but dont kno how to install can anyone help me on this ???

Return to “LMDE Archive”