Fresh VirtualBox error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
thany
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh VirtualBox error

Post by thany »

I just freshly downloaded the latest LMDE x64 and set up a VM in VirtualBox. OS Type is Linux/Debian64. I gave it 2GB of RAM and 4 CPU's. Oughtta be enough. I left the rest default. Once the VM starts, it sits and waits at an error (see attachment) I don't quite understand. It waits for something like 2 minutes, then times out and continues (seemingly) normally.

I'm pretty sure other linux distro's don't wait for 2 minutes before booting... So I'm sure this is simething fixable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thany
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Fresh VirtualBox error

Post by thany »

Oh wait, now it's really stuck. See attachment.

What do I do now?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

What version of Virtualbox please?
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Did you specify the o/s was 64-bit? The only time I had issues was when I did not specify the guest I was installing was 64-bit.
thany
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thany »

This is Virtualbox 4.1.10. The host is 64-bit, the guest is 64-bit, and the OS type is set to "Linux - Debian (64-bit)".

Also, there's no HDD activity, and no notable amount of CPU time is being eaten. However, the guest is not "frozen". In fact, it's responsive as normally: the progressbar is still animating, and I can even open applications.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

This is looking so weird that I can only suggest installing some other distros (and maybe 32-bit instead of 64-bit ones) as guest, maybe trying out Linux version of VirtualBox, and writing a bug report to VirtualBox developers when you'll gather enough info.
Also, try installing VirtualBox from the previous branch - i.e. 4.0.x (the latest is 4.0.16 at the moment).
thany
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thany »

Alright. VB from the previous branch doesn't look like a very good idea. It will break my other VM's.

I think it'd be best if the Linux Mint team and the VirtualBox developers work this out together. Yes the problem is with me, but I'm no expert at either system.

Return to “LMDE Archive”