mintUpdate 2.0 released in Romeo!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

mintUpdate 2.0 released in Romeo!

Post by clem »

Hi,

mintUpdate 2.0 was released in Romeo. The latest version of the popular mint update manager comes packed with new features.

Changes:

- Memory Usage Improvements: mintUpdate used to take between 80MB and 100MB... it now takes between 6MB and 10MB.
- New Information window and quick access to logs. Right click mintUpdate in the system tray and select "Information" to see the content of the log, the process ID..etc.
- Larger configuration range for automatic refresh: Users could select a frequency of up to an hour in mintUpdate 1.9, they can now select a frequency of up to a year in mintUpdate 2.0.
- Better multi-session handling. If mintUpdate is already running in another session you don't get an error message anymore, mintUpdate simply exits gracefully.

How to install it:

- Make sure to have the Romeo repository in your sources.list
- Right click mintUpdate and select Quit.
- Upgrade to the newest mintupdate (apt update; apt install mintupdate)
- Launch mintUpdate from mintMenu

Translations:

mintUpdate 2.0 supports unicode and special characters. We want it to support as many languages as possible, so if you happen to speak anything else than English, please help us translate it.

Read this thread and participate in the translation effort: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =43&t=8936

Bugs and feedback:

This is going to be part of Elyssa, and a major component of the desktop so don't hesitate to report bugs or feedback by replying to this thread.

No additional work is planned on mintUpdate for Elyssa.

Clem.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mintUpdate 2.0 released in Romeo!

Post by rootkowski »

I have upgraded mint update and on my system it takes only 140 kb! That's great. Really nice job Clem!

Edit:
Well after some time the memory usage went up to 5.8 MB. Still nice :-)
Last edited by rootkowski on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Works great on KDE b44.

One small thing though. Is it possible to make the icon background transparent? The white background looks out of place in the semi-transparent KDE panel.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That's the reason why KDE B44 doesn't "dress" GTK apps with the KDE theme.. it's either that or the transparent mintupdate, seems to be a compatibility problem between gtk.statusicon and qt-gtk.

Clem
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

clem wrote:That's the reason why KDE B44 doesn't "dress" GTK apps with the KDE theme.. it's either that or the transparent mintupdate, seems to be a compatibility problem between gtk.statusicon and qt-gtk.
Thanks for the insight, Clem. I switched the setting back to the default and it is better.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Great work! Though I have one issue. Since I use a wireless connection, I am not connected the minute I boot, or mintUpdate starts, so I was wondering if it were possible to add a delay so that it did not refresh at start, but wait a few minutes so that I might be able to connect to the AP first? That way I do not have to refresh it manually myself just because it is not able to connect to the internet the first time..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Jwednesday

Post by Jwednesday »

I totally agree with the upgrade tool. I have convinced 2 people to use LinuxMint as a dual boot on their Windows computers. The reason I chose to install Linux Mint was that it works. I have instructed both parties as to how to upgrade using the konsole under the KDE version using apt-get. The reason why I chose Linux Mint was that they can still access their files under Windows and I was able to install ies4linux (IE) so that they could keep their favorites and saved sites. I NEED an upgrade tool so that I can save face in convincing them that Linux is just as good or better. I installed Cassandra because I could do so on older machines with a CD and they seem to both enjoy the KDE desktop. So, please please please bring out the UPGRADE tool.
Jim - jwednesday@gmail.com
Jwednesday

Post by Jwednesday »

yes, I exported the sites and favorites and it worked. I had someone recently that ran into a IE only site so that is the reason for ies4linux. Now, I am wondering where the miniKDE version of the new release might be so I can Update?
klaeje
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klaeje »

I'm running mintupdate (1.7 i think) with cassandra.
is mintupdate 2.0 after testing coming out in the daryna repo's or not. read easy to install!
Is it for my safe to use 2.0 (after changing my repo list)?
or do i have to wait, what is the best?
I have an old comp so the less memory loss the better!
Thx
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Romeo is there for testing purposes only, it's the unstable branch of Linux Mint. Once stable mintUpdate 2.0 should go in Elyssa and possibly also in Daryna.

Clem
welkiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by welkiner »

Clem,

After updating MintUpdate to 2.0, MintUpdate no longer started automatically after log in.
I inserted "gksu" and a space in front of the MintUpdate command line in sessions.
Now everything appears to be working normally.
Was this the correct fix?
Has anyone else had this problem?

wb
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

microcomputers wrote:So exactly what is "Romero"?
Hi, and welcome to the Mint forums microcomputers !

romeo is just a repository, not a new release of Mint.

Edit: romeo spelling
Last edited by BakUp on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

i just noticed the typo we seem to be replicating it's called romeo not romero
It's waiting for Mint to grow up so it can meet Julia
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I know upgrading your OS is frowned upon around here with the official advice being to back up Home and reinstall from scratch, it would be cool if Mint would allow for updating like Ubuntu does.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Oh but Linux Mint does allow for updating like Ubuntu with dist upgrade set, and we can break things with this just like you can in Ubuntu. :lol:
See this post: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=9146
Somehow though, me thinks you meant something different, like rolling updates?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Clem has at least started to think about a way to upgrade between versions in an easy way using mintInstall. Perhaps not ready to Elyssa, but I would think to the next version (ver 6)
Husse

Post by Husse »

The line in sources.list is to be
deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository romeo daryna
for Daryna. Change to celena or cassandra for these versions
emil_pavlov

Post by emil_pavlov »

Could you put check now button on the menu that appears after a right-click on the mintUpdate icon?
I don't see any connection between the padlock (I'm not sure about the word) and the updater. I think it would be more appropriate if set other icon. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas of what it might be.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Emil: No problem, I'm adding this to version 2.1.

clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Catze,

It's planned for Mint 6.

Clem

Return to “Releases & Announcements”