gnome3 slow down after some time

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bedlore

gnome3 slow down after some time

Post by Bedlore »

Upon login gnome3 is zippy and functions well, however once of twice every day it begins to run very slowly. Switching between apps is painful and I'm forced to logout and login once more. Doing a alt-F2 does not help this issue only restarting the gnome session helps. I would love to solve this issue, anyone able to give ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: gnome3 slow down after some time

Post by remoulder »

Use System Monitor to see what it using your cpu and ram.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
cyanide202

Post by cyanide202 »

@Bedlore
I have the same problem, gnome-shell slows down after some time (usually a couple of hrs). Restart the shell, Use ALT + F2, enter 'r' and press <Enter>. You don't need to logout.
Bedlore

Post by Bedlore »

@cyanide202: Thanks but in my first post I did mention that alt-f2 does not help. It require a full logout/in to recover.

@remoulder: I have done, it doesn't appear to be CPU load related. At times just typing can be hard, things become so unresponsive for spurts, then you end up with 20 letter 't's etc, very frustrating. It does seem to me that the frequency of this is less often now, but still troubling.
kedmond

Post by kedmond »

I have the same problem. It grows slower and slower as time passes, and becomes difficult to use after a few hours. Alt-F2 and hitting 'r' solves it...but this is really annoying. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and the latest stable Gnome 3. I'm also using the latest Nvidia drivers. It's been an issue with Gnome 3 ever since I installed it. Even after clean installs, different graphics cards, and different versions of Ubuntu.
Bedlore

Post by Bedlore »

Things improved for me with more recent updates. Although I think my main problem was actually a USB2/USB3 conflict where I was getting 4 warnings a second in my syslog. I guess after while the system couldn't keep up understandably.
I resolved that issue by changing my BIOS settings and not supporting legacy USB.

Return to “Software & Applications”