How to Install OEM nVidea Drivers (SOLVED!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lmx

How to Install OEM nVidea Drivers (SOLVED!!)

Post by lmx »

Hi,
i want to install nvidea OEM drivers, but to install it i need a init2,3(without X server)...
I dont now to work with the upstart system...
How can i switch to init 2,3, but to really init 3 not a virtualized init 3 on top of X?

I have tried this thread :
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=66839

thanks in advance
Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: How to Install OEM nVidea Drivers

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi,

it's the first time i read about oem drivers and oem manufacturer are lazy to work on them. To deactivate the X-server
hit Ctrl+Alt F1. Install your driver and to get back to X type startx or hit Ctrl+Alt F8.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I hold down the Shift key at boot time, and at the Grub menu, choose Recovery Mode -> then the next menu, I arrow down to Root login . . I login with my sudo password (not Ctrl+D), and where do I end up ? : init 1

I type telinit 3 (enter), then re-log in to run level 3 with my own credentials, cd .. to the proper folder where my nvidia.run file is located , and start the next run command with sudo or if some prefer sudo su , to become the superuser, then the run command . . both work for me . .

regards , richy Image
lmx

Post by lmx »

Hi,
Gerd50 :
It doesn't work, i have tried several times, but without anny success!!Seems that the init 2,3 its virutal and not a truly 2,3 init...maybe because UpStart system(substitute of init process)

What have worked for me was almost what the richyrich said , this is what i have done :
start in init1 mode(recovery mode->sudo->install driver), it gave me several warnigs but i have fellow to the end...and it WORKED for me!!!
its very strange that i have tried telinit 2, 3 and it puts me in gdm3 to a graphical session???????!!!!!
Only worked in init1...!!

Thanks richyrich for the sniper shot ;) and for Gerd50 atencion in help me with this
regards
justinjohn

Re: How to Install OEM nVidea Drivers (SOLVED!!)

Post by justinjohn »

I've tried everything suggested in this thread and nothing works...

if I try by beginning with cntrl+alt+F1, it tells me that I'm still running with X server active.

If I try booting into recovery mode>root>sudo>install driver ... it tells me a destination directory cannot be created - no change regardless of any operand I choose.

if I try booting into recovery mode>root>telinit 3, it asks for my login, I type root and press enter, it tells me "ro: not a command", then I get in a txt loop that seems to bug out the interface and requires a restart.

Lastly, if I use the NVIDIA instructions (from the driver website)... (a) from the OS it tells me Im running X server, and (b) from recovery mode init1, it gives me an error; something about grub-editenv is invalid... or something

:x
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

justinjohn wrote:
if I try booting into recovery mode>root>telinit 3, it asks for my login, I type root and press enter, it tells me "ro: not a command"
Did you try the recovery mode > telinit3 login with your username and pw?
pluraluniverse

Post by pluraluniverse »

I know this is an older thread and this is actually my first post on the forum so...

I didn't have any luck with the above but it got me going in the right direction. In Mint 12 I had to:

1) from normal start (graphical) launched terminal and edit /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf to:

env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=1

I also set the two overrides to 1 per the comment about old information in /var/runtump :

Looks like this:

env RUNLEVEL=1
env PREVLEVEL=1

Not sure that is required, you can try without. Now save and reboot.

The next step is to go into recovery mode.

1) remount (file system is read-only until you do this)
2) root (drop to shell) and log in with password (not Ctrl+D)
3) driver install
3) edit /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf back to run level 3
4) reboot

Not saying there isn't a better way, but this worked for me. Hope it saves you time as well :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Isn't it easier to use sgfxi/smxi ?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “LMDE Archive”