UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
aljoriz

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by aljoriz »

@ginjabunny:

As for the TOUCHPAD, it would seem that UP4 resets the the synaptic.conf to the 'bad' default to fix.

terminal

Code: Select all

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
then erase all content and replace it with:

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "touchpad catchall"
	Driver "synaptics"
	MatchIsTouchpad "on"
	Option "TapButton1" "1"
	Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
EndSection
Should fix the problem, when UP3 was release I had to do the same step over again. Think of it as re-learning something that may have been forgoten. :P
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

@aljoriz thanks for that, it's not really an update if it breaks things is it! Sounds like the transition to Gnome3 environment is going to be a major headache, I may come back to LMDE with the next roll-up release, but at the moment Mint12 seems an easier and more stable option.
ec2011

Post by ec2011 »

ec2011 wrote:
ec2011 wrote:AMD/ATI video card - fglrx driver problem My graphics card is a HD6770 1GB GDDR5 - silent version. [SOLVED]
After installing fglrx from UP4, I got an error at the end of boot saying that Gnome shell is executed in "restricted mode" and I am no more in Cinnamon environment. It's a kind of degraded Gnome 3 shell.
After complete uninstallation of fglrx packets, everything was back to normal.
I don't have time to investigate the issues with "fglrx " packets and risk also a complete failure of display, but it will be an issue for a lot of users that want to use 3D with AMD/ATI drivers.
It seems to have a first fix with the latest version of fglrx in wheezy and sid (version 1:12-1-2, in UP4 incoming repo it is only version 1:12-1-1): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=660571
As there are still other bugs (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... t=unstable ), I prefer not to risk a breakage of my LMDE installation...
But if some more experienced users are able to test the latest version of the different fglrx packages directly from debian and see if they can have fglrx working, it would be nice...

I have updated fglrx packets to wheezy version 1:12-1-2, xserver-xorg, xserver-xorg-input-all, xserver-xorg-video-all to wheezy version 1:7.6+12, and I could get fglrx working.
In order to activate AMD driver, it is necessary to type in a root terminal: aticonfig --initial (for more explanation, see - even you don't need to follow all the steps... http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary )
After rebooting, I am no more in fallback mode and all seems to be OK.

After some more testing, it appears that the wheezy version of fglrx (1:12-1-2) is buggy: my cinnamon/gnome3 session crashes every time I want to launch a video (cf. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=652836).
An upgrade to version 1:12-2-2 in debian unstable has fixed my problem ... and I hope that it will not create other bugs...
timber

Post by timber »

evolution package missing but needed to "Open Calandar" at window which opens when Day/Time, located in panel, is selected)

easy fix: :D

sudo apt-get install evolution
timber

Post by timber »

aljoriz wrote:
As for the TOUCHPAD, it would seem that UP4 resets the the synaptic.conf to the 'bad' default to fix.

terminal

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
then erase all content and replace it with:

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "touchpad catchall"
	Driver "synaptics"
	MatchIsTouchpad "on"
	Option "TapButton1" "1"
	Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
EndSection
Should fix the problem, when UP3 was release I had to do the same step over again. Think of it as re-learning something that may have been forgoten. :P
May also need check box at ... System Settings/ Mouse and Touchpad/ Touchpad/ "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad" ...

Thanks for the code to fix "50-synaptics.conf" file Aljoriz! ... my touchpad is now working great (and I missed it prior to this fix).
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

ccerghe1 wrote:
Honest Mistake wrote:... lost Software Manager. Trying to install it through synaptic gives me "Depends: python-aptdaemon but it is not going to be installed" error.
I've had exactly the same issues: Software Manager lost the ability to be reinstalled, several programs not using the XFCE desktop theme (so far the Document Viewer, GNOME Player), and the volme controls in XFCE is completely unproportional with the actual volume level.
But no response so far, from anyone. Clem - I hope you are taking notes, or you're already aware of all these issues.
I have since installed MATE (looking good so far) and the sound problem persists - everything works ok as long as I never, ever touch audio controls in Banshee or video player. So I think it's not an Xfce issue after all.
zen_monkey

Post by zen_monkey »

Today i've installed chromium and it is not working at all, everything i've tried to load will end up in this nice screen. Any website, addons tab, anything! even the "Try this suggestions" link given under the error message. :mrgreen:
Also tried lauching with the --temp-profile option or deleting the chromium folder on .cache and .config without luck.
franute

Post by franute »

Fresh install on my laptop with Linux Mint Debian Xfce 64.

Updated to UpdatePack 4 without a problem (except for the removal of mintsystem, etc), rebooted and everything is working fine (though I installed fglrx from sid because of the xv disruption with 12.1 and xserver 1.11) except notify-osd, I can't see any notification bubble, so I changed to xfce4-notifyd.

Thanks to all the Linux Mint crew, great distro and fantastic job :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zen_monkey wrote:Today i've installed chromium and it is not working at all[...]
if you start it from the terminal do you get any specific errors?
16.0.912.77 (Developer Build 118311 Linux) Debian wheezy/sid
is working fine here (it's the default in the repo)
zen_monkey

Post by zen_monkey »

zerozero wrote:
zen_monkey wrote:Today i've installed chromium and it is not working at all[...]
if you start it from the terminal do you get any specific errors?
16.0.912.77 (Developer Build 118311 Linux) Debian wheezy/sid
is working fine here (it's the default in the repo)
@zerozero
Well, that's something a didn't wanted to hear :lol: that means the issue has something to do with my files... altough i have no idea what could be. Tomorrow i'll see where some digging takes me. This is what i got:

chromium:
Instalados: 16.0.912.77~r118311-1+b1
Candidato: 16.0.912.77~r118311-1+b1
Tabla de versión:
*** 16.0.912.77~r118311-1+b1 0
500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I just discovered a serious bug in Brasero after updating to UP4: When I burn a DVD directly, without writing image to disk first, the DVD won't mount and can't be read. The burn completes without errors, but the DVD is useless. If I set it to write image to disk first the DVD mounts and can be read. I've seen this bug reported both for Ubuntu and Debian, so it's not a LMDE specific bug. It's a pretty serious one though since you can burn a backup without errors find out that your backup is useless if you have to restore. There's no such problem with other burning software like K3b and XFburn.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

I was about to post the same hmm so i might as well ditch Brasero and go for XFburn.
rootchick

Post by rootchick »

Hi all,

I'm using LMDE on public & staff desktop computers in a public library system, so I've been anxious to see where the desktop environment is going when Gnome 2 goes away, so thanks for giving us the opportunity to do some testing before Update Pack 4 is released!

So far I've done a fresh install of LMDE, changed the sources to point to incoming, and updated with the update manager. The update itself went smoothly, other than gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad borking the update process. I uninstalled that and updated with aptitude, then started the upgrade to UP 4 with the update manager again. After rebooting, i've lost the GUI, and I'm not sure why yet. I checked to see if compiz was still installed and that was causing the problem, it was and I uninstalled it, still no love. Any hints about where things went wrong?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

rootchick wrote:After rebooting, i've lost the GUI, and I'm not sure why yet. I checked to see if compiz was still installed and that was causing the problem, it was and I uninstalled it, still no love. Any hints about where things went wrong?
Kernel 3.2 and nVidia don't seem to get along. Try dpkg-reconfigure and remove nvidia-glx.

Also, this old bugbear:

tail /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 700  # change from default 500
rootchick

Post by rootchick »

Interesting, I'll try it next week, and let you know how it goes!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

[quote="mockturtl"]Kernel 3.2 and nVidia don't seem to get along. Try dpkg-reconfigure and remove nvidia-glx.

I don't think that the Nvidia driver and kernel 3.2 has so much compatibility problems but rather that DKMS drops the ball during the new kernel install and fails to build the existing Nvidia driver to the new kernel (I was previously using kernel 2.6.39 due to an annoying hardware bug in kernel 3.0). So after installing the 3.2 kernel I had to run the following command at the command prompt when the Nivida driver failed to build to the new kernel:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms 
That solved my no GUI problem after installing Kernel 3.2. LMDE UP4 with the 3.2 kernel and the Nvida driver are working rather slick now.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
rootchick

Post by rootchick »

Actually, I don't think the nvidia issue is what caused my problem. The system has an ATI Radeon HD 4200, so it's not using nvidia drivers. I'm going to try reinstalling, updating to pack 3 and then to 4 to see if that helps. It's been so long since I've had to deal with the GUI breaking that I'm pretty useless at diagnosing it!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm taking notes here and going through the issues. We identified a critical dependency missing for MATE 1.2, so UP4 is being resynced. Expect additional updates to hit the Incoming repository.

Clem.
rootchick

Post by rootchick »

I just reinstalled LMDE, updated to Update Pack 3, uninstalled compiz just in case, and then updated to pack 4. Whatever got borked the last time I updated to 4 that made me lose the GUI seems to have remedied itself--I now have a functioning desktop with Gnome, Classic Gnome, and Cinnamon. I have to say of the three, Cinnamon looks the most usable! :)
rknize
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rknize »

Great. Can we expect Cinnamon 1.4 as well?

Return to “LMDE Archive”