The REAL minimum amount of memory needed for the Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
professorsnapper

The REAL minimum amount of memory needed for the Live CD

Post by professorsnapper »

Hi folks,

Please help me with a little discrepancy...

According to Husse's earlier thread on the same topic, the Live CD (as at May 07) required 256MB of RAM at bare minimum, (and from memory ;) didn't work ideally with Cassandra). One person on another thread said they'd had no success on machines less than 312MB.

Now, in loading the Live CD of Mint 4.0, it says on the help screen that the minimum system requirements are "128MB or better", yet even with 192MB, I'm getting only partway through bootup. Desktop icons appear, but gnome menubar does not and the system continually freezes up. (Curiously enough, on my 2nd and 3rd attempt to boot the Live CD, in both regular and safe graphics mode, the system turned my monitor off, and was producing no video signal!)

If this is, as I suspect, simply because I don't have enough RAM, perhaps the suggestion of "128MB or better" is a bit optimistic? Perhaps more realistic minimum specs could be listed on the help screen of future releases...

Thanks,
K.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”