UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: UPDATE PACK 4 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by laofzu »

In Cinnamon 1.4, I found the edit panel process cumbersome, much preferred simply dragging icons where I wanted them. Also, in the favorites menu, much more intuitive to right-click on item and choose remove. I can live with the changes, but don't particulary care for them. Don't see the need for all the attention to multiple workspaces either. I often use 3 or more applications in web design with no need for more workspaces. I simply move between the open applications using the window list on the panel. It is difficult enough for new users to switch to Linux without making the desktop menus and panels any more complex than they need to be. Looking forward to Mate becoing available, not as shiny, but simpler and most of the old features loved in Gnome 2 are available.
Lucas_maleficar

Post by Lucas_maleficar »

Hello everyone.
I really don't know how to feel about introducing myself through a bug report,so I will keep it short.

Hardware: T420, SB i5-2430, intel HD 3000 gpu, intel 510 ssd drive.

Installation: Fresh LMDE_AMD64 upgraded through UP2 to incoming UP4 and latest packages. I have deleted almost all config files in my home directory after installing UP4. I'm using Cinnamon exclusively. Only tweaks I've made to the system are changes to grub kernel parameters : I've added "pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1" to reduce power consumption to sane levels. No ill effects observed.

Since installing Cinnamon 1.4 I have experienced Xorg crashes. Sometimes its random, but I can crash it at will by using nautilus in certain directories and by viewing larger images. Kernel log shows this:
Mar 21 21:49:44 t420 kernel: [ 1190.131361] nautilus[4351]: segfault at 65 ip 00007f1f4227137a sp 00007fff520af978 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3000.2[7f1f4223c000+f6000]
Mar 21 21:49:54 t420 kernel: [ 1200.778423] [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Mar 21 21:50:10 t420 kernel: [ 1216.410383] nautilus[4706]: segfault at 75 ip 00007fd53007337a sp 00007fff2feb7b38 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3000.2[7fd53003e000+f6000]
Mar 21 22:04:11 t420 kernel: [ 2057.185855] gnome-system-lo[6076]: segfault at 4 ip 00007f165a010831 sp 00007fffa482ee50 error 4 in libgobject-2.0.so.0.3000.2[7f1659ffd000+4f000]
I've abridged log a bit, but I have archive of all logs at hand, if you want them. Xorg crashed at 21:50, I haven't observed anything at 22:04, and those hardware errors appear in log before the todays update.

Secondly, machine won't shut down, it will restart instead. I've observed this before UP4, todays updates seem to have brought it back.

Thirdly, safely removing devices triggers network connection, resp. network manager suddenly tries to connect to a network and fails. I have no idea why this happens.

PS: I would also like to thank everyone involved in making LMDE what it is today. Best distribution by far, so it seems.
Last edited by Lucas_maleficar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
maxic

Post by maxic »

After update Cinnamon doesn't work and boot into Gnome3 DE. :(
raidensub

Post by raidensub »

I install the lxde-xfce disc from Debian Squeze using lxde and updated to incoming repos. Then installed cinnamon and everything worked great except when i updated to cinnamon 1.4 the Menu now has .... and not Menu. When i open a program Menu is back. This is not a big deal. This morning i use a guide from Debian documentation to install the fglrx driver from the repos. The install completed with no error but now i get crashes in cinnamon all the time, not in lxde. Cinnamon has the same problems with gnome3 and proprietary drivers?
Lucas_maleficar

raidensub wrote:I install the lxde-xfce disc from Debian Squeze using lxde and updated to incoming repos. Then installed cinnamon and everything worked great except when i updated to cinnamon 1.4 the Menu now has .... and not Menu. When i open a program Menu is back. This is not a big deal. This morning i use a guide from Debian documentation to install the fglrx driver from the repos. The install completed with no error but now i get crashes in cinnamon all the time, not in lxde. Cinnamon has the same problems with gnome3 and proprietary drivers?
Could you check your kernel.log for segfaults? Cinnamon crashes on me as well for that reason.
raidensub

Post by raidensub »

Lucas_maleficar wrote:
raidensub wrote:I install the lxde-xfce disc from Debian Squeze using lxde and updated to incoming repos. Then installed cinnamon and everything worked great except when i updated to cinnamon 1.4 the Menu now has .... and not Menu. When i open a program Menu is back. This is not a big deal. This morning i use a guide from Debian documentation to install the fglrx driver from the repos. The install completed with no error but now i get crashes in cinnamon all the time, not in lxde. Cinnamon has the same problems with gnome3 and proprietary drivers?
Could you check your kernel.log for segfaults? Cinnamon crashes on me as well for that reason.
Can you tell me how to check the kernel.log ?
Lucas_maleficar

raidensub wrote:
Lucas_maleficar wrote:
Can you tell me how to check the kernel.log ?
Navigate to /var/log and open latest kern.log . It's plain text file
raidensub

Post by raidensub »

Don't pay attention for this two lines:
hub 3-0:1.0: over-current condition on port 1
hub 3-0:1.0: over-current condition on port 2

I have a problem with 2 usb ports for about a year.

The forum didn't let me upload it. Download from here.

http://www.4shared.com/file/FVrgz2xt/file.html
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

raidensub, for future reference you can paste your texts to http://pastebin.com/ and copy&past back here the url for sharing; it'sa lot easier because that way we all see the log without the hassle to d/l a file.
raidensub

Post by raidensub »

Sorry. I didn't know. Thanks for the tip.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

MATE 1.2 and Cinnamon 1.4 are now available.

- To install MATE, install "mate-desktop-environment"
- To install Cinnamon, install "cinnamon"
rootchick

Post by rootchick »

I'm trying out MATE. The only thing I've noticed so far is that MintUpdate isn't showing up in the tray after login. It only does if I start it manually.

Will you be reintegrating the MintMenu and the Control Center into MATE?

As for how Cinnamon handles multiple desktops, I think it's really neat, a more organic way of doing it. It took me a while to figure out how to add more virtual desktops, but I like how you can use the overview to see what's on each desktop and drag windows between them. Very cool. As for myself, I'm a heavy virtual desktop user--on my work machine I have two monitors, and I have it set to have 6 virtual desktops. Usually at least 4 of those are in use at any given time. The concept may confuse new users, but they can just as easily ignore it.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes, please find new versions of mintmenu, mintupdate and mintupload in romeo (I put them there so they didn't conflict with Gnome 2 settings for LMDE Latest users).
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ok, once romeo is enabled, the only thing you need for mintinstall/mint-meta-debian is to install the testing versions of aptdaemon:

Code: Select all

apt install aptdaemon/testing python-aptdaemon/testing
rootchick

Post by rootchick »

Thanks! Now MintUpdate shows in the tray after login, although the Update Pack Info button doesn't do anything now. And I have the MintMenu back. :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Thanks, the mintupdate Update Pack button is now fixed.
ammon

Post by ammon »

Please update gtk2-engines-murrine and we need gtk3-engines-unico in repo.
Most of new gtk3 themes require unico, and their ports to gkt2 require murrine.
Both of mentioned packages exist (and up to date) in Debian Sid repo.

Otherwise, so far so good. I did some tweaks and fixed few things since I updated to testing.
But nothing worth noticing.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

P.S.

I would love to see lightDM as default DM in LMDE. :)
escolar

Post by escolar »

escolar wrote:I just have updated the today big update. I cannot check email with Evolution after this update because when I use the check and send button a segmentation fault happens and Evolution crashs.

I edit to add a new problem with this updating: I can't print. After trying to print, the parallel process remains eating 100% CPU without print and I have to kill it, and nothing is printed.
I have downgraded to cups 1.5.0, and connected my printer via usb (it was connected via parallel port) to print again. I haven't resolved the Evolution issue, so I have instaled Thunderbird until a new version fixs it.

Regards
timbo

Post by timbo »

Code: Select all

Failed to execute command "audacious2 %U". 
Failed to execute child process "audacious2" (No such file or directory)
is what I get when I try to start Audacious since some recent updates in incoming.

Return to “LMDE Archive”