How to change Nautilus theme if possible?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Atlantian

How to change Nautilus theme if possible?

Post by Atlantian »

I wonder if it is possible to change Nautilus look and feel and which part of the Mint cotrols it. I saw some Nautilus pattern backgrounds, but they don't change whole Nautilus as i see it now.

How to play with themes to get dark Nautilus or similar effect?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mmesantos1

Re: How to change Nautilus theme if possible?

Post by mmesantos1 »

I am not sure what version of Mint you are running or if you are running mint at all but normally the look of Nautilus is controlled by what GTK theme you have installed. If you can provide more info and can give more detail. :D
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

mmesantos1 wrote:I am not sure what version of Mint you are running or if you are running mint at all but normally the look of Nautilus is controlled by what GTK theme you have installed. If you can provide more info and can give more detail. :D
Currently I'm running Linux Mint 12 and sometimes I switch before login into Gnome Classic with Effects and sometimes to the normal Gnome 3, but mainly I look forward to using - like currently - Compiz on Gnome Classic with Effects.

I don't know what kind of version of GTK I have, but what I do know is I downloaded latest Mint 12 from the official website month ago, so I think GTK 4 maybe?

Can you provide some helpful thoughts?
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Ok so you will be using GTK3 to theme nautilus. Here are steps on installing a GTK3 theme. Once you have downloaded your theme you will extract it and then copy the theme folder into usr/share/themes you can get to this location by opening your terminal and typing gksu nautilus, you will then be prompted to enter your password. Once that is done you will have nautilus open then just browse to the location: usr/share/themes. Once there you will copy your theme folder and then close nautilus.
At this point you would open say Gnome-Tweak and from there you would change your theme. Here are some links for some dark themes which is what you were wanting to use. :D

OMG_Suite by ~nale12: http://mmesantos1.deviantart.com/favour ... 1#/d4rpdfd

Brown n Grey GTK by ~CraazyT: http://mmesantos1.deviantart.com/favour ... 1#/d4mjy66

There are more but these are some good dark themes to start with. :D
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

mmesantos1 wrote:Ok so you will be using GTK3 to theme nautilus. Here are steps on installing a GTK3 theme. Once you have downloaded your theme you will extract it and then copy the theme folder into usr/share/themes you can get to this location by opening your terminal and typing gksu nautilus, you will then be prompted to enter your password. Once that is done you will have nautilus open then just browse to the location: usr/share/themes. Once there you will copy your theme folder and then close nautilus.
At this point you would open say Gnome-Tweak and from there you would change your theme. Here are some links for some dark themes which is what you were wanting to use. :D

OMG_Suite by ~nale12: http://mmesantos1.deviantart.com/favour ... 1#/d4rpdfd

Brown n Grey GTK by ~CraazyT: http://mmesantos1.deviantart.com/favour ... 1#/d4mjy66

There are more but these are some good dark themes to start with. :D
I must add I'm very proud to have an answer from you and more to say I love everything what's dark, even on daily basis I look dark, especially when I pass the shadows in my city in the dark from one gothic club to another :twisted:

Will give it a try as soon as I change the Compiz Cube background and I will postback.
Last edited by Atlantian on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thank you and can not wait to see a screenshot of what you do with your desktop. :-) :D
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

mmesantos1 wrote:Thank you and can not wait to see a screenshot of what you do with your desktop. :-) :D
I totally disagree my will be more enhanced than yours, cause I expect U work on 10 monitors with some HyperCube or something, anyway you can see some progress here.

Still I'm only on 10-15% of what needs to be done yet :)) and I love to know that, because now I see Linux Mint and other linuxes are cooool and woowsome :))

Besiedes that, do U know how to catch a movie in Mint 12? I would like to post it on my Youtube so I could show my current progress since 1,5 months with Mintie.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”