Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
professorsnapper

Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

Post by professorsnapper »

A question, but first this quote (grabbed from another thread, courtesy of Antique Xray I think):

(quote begins) " molom wrote:I've been trying this way of installing it. ( http://www.getmiro.com/download/ubuntu.php ), but how come Mints synaptic option 'respitory' is different to Ubuntu's one. So how do I install it?

...and therein lies the rub.

Yes, Mint sprung from Ubuntu, but as Husse said no too long ago, it's moving further and further away all the time (or something like that). As far as installing, I'm thinking you're taking about changing the repo. It may be that the sources.list will have to be edited manually through terminal." (quote ends)

This makes me wonder... One of the reasons I've been leaning towards Mint is because it offers more out-of-the-box usability than Ubuntu, yet retains compatibility with Ubuntu's software repositories (or so I thought)...

should I read the discussion above to mean that this compatibility should not be relied upon in the future (or even now)? Is there any reason why compatibility with Ubuntu cannot or should not be retained? I can see plenty of reasons it should be retained...

Thanks,
Snapper.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
professorsnapper

Re: Mint moving further and further away from Ubuntu?

Post by professorsnapper »

Oh, and another thought:

It seems to me that the idea of having to manually edit sources lists in terminal to access Ubuntu repo's is contrary to Mint's general ethos, and perhaps a disincentive to those looking to Mint for a simplified, more streamlined user experience...

Your thoughts?

Snap.

Return to “Beginner Questions”