Kdenlive Crashing, Crashing, Crashing!!!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Myself

Kdenlive Crashing, Crashing, Crashing!!!

Post by Myself »

I read what appeared to be an informative and helpful article this morning on a Linux news site giving an excellent review of Kdenlive video editing suite. Reviewer claimed it it better than many professional packages.

I have been using Avidemux but it doesn't have all the features I need.

I tried Cinelerra which looked like it would do the job but the programmers have limited it in that it cannot see other drives - how silly! They have blocked drag and drop so ultimately the program is an outdated waste of time for me. Oh! I nearly forgot, it doesn't install an icon on the menu so I initially thought it hadn't installed.

So having read the wonderful review of Kdenlive I installed the version available in Linux Mint repositories.

It turns out to be an old version and crashes when trying to import video and audio files. I checked the review again and found the person who wrote the article had a newer version. I went to Kdenlive's website and followed the instruction to get new version from the Debian repositories. What a Total Waste Of Time!!! It just crashes, and crashes, and crashes, on trying to open it. Completely Useless!!!

Obviously the reviewer never used Adobe® Premiere® Pro which is a professional program and does work but is expensive.

I have also tried Openshot but it crashes with anything over 20Mb.

Does anyone know of a decent Open Source fully featured video editing package for Linux that actually works?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
drdavidk

Re: Kdenlive Crashing, Crashing, Crashing!!!

Post by drdavidk »

I'm not sure what you're trying to run Kdenlive on (I'm assuming LMDE, but don't have any other info about your system). With LMDE, there's often a dependency problem with MLT (whatever that is -- beyond me!), but I've pulled the latest version (0.8.2.1) from the Debian sid (unstable) repository (by changing my sources.list), and that has brought me a fully-functional kdenlive. It's my preferred non-linear editor, but Openshot does have a new version, so perhaps try that again. LIVES is also full-featured, but I've only tinkered with it.

Just be sure to disable the Debian Sid repo after you've installed, or you'll have even more issues.
Myself

Post by Myself »

Intel 9300u processor,
Intel GM45 graphics
built-in 128GB
Several external SSD and flash drives
- I know others running Premiere in win7 on the same set-up -
LMDE Xfce - the best and easiest to use Linux version I have found.
Thanks to Linux Mint guys for such a great effort producing LMDE Xfce.

I installed latest version of Kdenlive from SID as instructed by Kdenlive website and have since disabled SID repos as I know they will only cause problems.

I downloaded and installed Toorox (what a messy screen!) which has the latest Cinelerra, Kino, and VLC 2.0 - none of which work as there is no mpeg, not even mp3, support and seems it cannot be installed. I did try but it kept crashing and sending message to Toorox. I eventually got a message telling me it was not possible for me to install mpeg support. So that has just been another total waste of time!!! Processor runs at max, and temperature goes to max, with Toorox, even supposedly at idle - weird!

I have seen AV Linux so may give that a try soon.

I've noticed that Handbrake when set to compress a queue overnight makes a total mess of about 60% of the video's audio and I have to start all over and compress them again using Avidemux (have to do some cropping) and then with VLC . Avidemux doesn't compress very well.
Myself

Post by Myself »

Installed and tried Pitivi on LMDE Xfce 64 but when I try to render a 45 minute video it just hangs saying, "estimating"!

Tried Salix 13.37 64bit in Virtualbox but it refused to get past displaying startup X screen with a frozen mouse. Tried it in LiveCD mode and installed Avidemux, Openshot and Pitivi. All work in Live mode so I thought I'll install Salix on a drive with enough spare capacity. Install went well until it came to LILO which refused to install. It recognised all 4 OSs, unlike some other Linux OSs (like certain forks of Mandriva will cannot, how Microsoft-ish!) but it kept saying, "FAIL". It probably had a problem with the fact that Grub is already on that drive but surely a decent experienced programmer would anticipate for this and have LILO overwrite it, or at least provide a solution, rather than allowing a "FAIL" message to be displayed at this stage. What a waste of time!

I am about to try AV Linux which is 32bit LXDE - overwriting Salix.
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

Wow. Wish I could be of more help, but it's beyond my knowledge base. My guess is graphics card, since you have so many issues across os's with video editors, but that's just a shot in the dark. I've enjoyed using avlinux from time to time, though I always come back to LMDE XFCE for the same reasons you state. For other multimedia friendly distros, you might try artistx and dreamstudio. I believe both had kdenlive built in.
Myself

Post by Myself »

Do you know the login password for AV linux in live mode? I have searched Net and found lots of people have problems with this and there is nothing on the AV Linux website offering a password - how nice of the time wasters!

It cannot be the graphics cards as all the AV software I installed worked in Salix (Slackware). Only program that crashed in Salix was some weird name video player that comes installed - Bangbang or something like that. I installed codecs and VLC and VLC, Avidemux, Pitivi, and Openbox all worked fine.
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

It's been a while, but I don't recall there being a password for AVlinux. Try leaving it empty? I never had any password trouble setting it up.
nomko

Post by nomko »

From what i understand you have problems with almost every video-editor? Ever thought about it that it might be the movie you want to edit and that it has nothing to do with the video-editing programs?

About Kdenlive i can tell you this: within a Gnome environment Kdenlive is very unstable and crashes a lot. In the past i tried Kdenlive several times, but after yet another crash, i dumped Kdenlive for Openshot.
Myself

Post by Myself »

drdavidk wrote:It's been a while, but I don't recall there being a password for AVlinux. Try leaving it empty? I never had any password trouble setting it up.
I should have taken a screenshot !!!

I tried blank password, I tried ever normal password used in some other distributions requiring a password but none work.

" it opened to a login dialog that should not have been there (this was a live session). Worse, for some reason the dialog rejected all my attempts at logging in. I checked Google, and sure enough I wasn't the first user to experience the problem. " http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/home-av-linux

I have tried booting to "failsafe" mode but still get asked for a password same as with the person who posted the following on the same page as above:

" I've tried the failsafe mode

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/18/2012 - 04:01.
I've tried the failsafe mode and still keep getting the Login Dialogue. Has anyone found a better solution yet? "

Yes! I am having problems with most video editors, except Avidemux which is the only one that works with thousands of video files, not just one file as you assumed.

I tried Dreamstudio, with the horrible Ubuntu Unity, but Cineleara and Lives but have the same issues with them as I had when I installed on them on LMDE as they only can allow access to one drive, the one it is installed on with the OS, and no other. It will cause problems importing Gb of video files to the drive the OS is on as it really doesn't have the space. If the programs had written the software properly it would see all the drives recognised by the OS. This has been normal programming for many years with almost all other software. Looks like the programmers of Lives and Cineleara are writing for systems similar to dedicated video editor hardware.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Yes! I am having problems with most video editors, except Avidemux which is the only one that works with thousands of video files, not just one file as you assumed.
I didn't assumed anything i just said and i quote myself:
Ever thought about it that it might be the movie you want to edit and that it has nothing to do with the video-editing programs
Meaning that the movie is refering to a movie without mentioning the extension.
Last edited by nomko on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Myself

Post by Myself »

After much messing about due to Grub being messed-up by Derbian I finally have Kdenlive working.

Debian6 unfortunately doesn't recognise multiple drives and tried to install Grub in two places meaning I could not boot into any OS. Had to use a Linux Mint LiveDVD to reinstall Grub to correct setups. Still not got one OS working (Ubuntu), it is on the same drive as the now working Debian6, due to Grub not accepting that it exists! Will try again later to resolve this.

:D Anyway, here is a screenshot of Kdenlive working on Debian6 despite it crashing on LMDE. Weird!
KdenliveWorkingOnDebian6.jpg
Myself

Post by Myself »

:D Update - Ubuntu now booting again.

I kept getting errors saying I was not using correct password when using sudo in Debian .... ... realised that it must be su and that worked to do update-grub.

Now got 5 working Operating Systems.
ossdoc

Post by ossdoc »

As promised by the developer, the newest Kdenlive version has more stability. They encourage to upgrade to the newest version (0.9.4) which was released on Januari 2013.

see the review here http://www.ossdoc.com/2013/02/upgrade-k ... on-to.html

Return to “LMDE Archive”