Linux Mint 12 Compiz isn't starting at all

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Atlantian

Linux Mint 12 Compiz isn't starting at all

Post by Atlantian »

Hi guys,

I was starting with Unix, Ubuntu and I love Linux Mint version 12.

Everything is customized totally except the Compiz. When I start compiz --replace:

- top and down menu dissapears,

There is only Cairo menu left with black background below it.

My specs are below. They are pretty low, but quite contrary everything is OK :P

I checked also Compatibility On and I work on Gnome 3 of course with the latest build of it.

So I don't know what's next to have it worked. I care not to reinstall some graphics, cause I am afraid to lose Mint ...

Anyone could help a bit without disintegrating my OS?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 12 Compiz isn't starting at all

Post by xenopeek »

Are you logged in to Gnome Classic? Compiz is not compatible with Gnome 3 default mode, or with Cinnamon.
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

xenopeek wrote:Are you logged in to Gnome Classic? Compiz is not compatible with Gnome 3 default mode, or with Cinnamon.
I think I have Gnome 3. How can I switch back to the Gnome Classic?

I managed now to switch to Gnome Classic by these steps:
- sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback,
- sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf,
where I changed gnome shell to gnome-classic,
- turned On the automatic login function in User Settings,

Looks ok, but I have two things bad:

First I cannot see the Firefox, Gedit etc. top bar to move the windows around and it seems also, I cannot resize those windows also. They are locked top left to the top menu of Mint somehow.

I cannot use Alt-Tab and nothing happens here.

I see there is some difficulty for me to start Cube even when it is being loaded before. Maybe I don't know shortcuts but I've tried already some know and it doesn't helps alot.

I also get some errors during starting Compiz --replace after installing it correctly:

Code: Select all

Checking if settings need to be migrated ...no
Checking if internal files need to be migrated ...no
Backend     : gconf
Integration : true
Profile     : default
Adding plugins
Skipping upgrade com.canonical.unity.unity.01.upgrade
Skipping upgrade com.canonical.unity.unity.02.upgrade
Initializing core options...done
Initializing composite options...done
Initializing opengl options...done
Initializing decor options...done
Initializing firepaint options...done
compiz (water) - Error: failed to load bump map program
Initializing water options...done
Initializing mblur options...done
Initializing animation options...done
Initializing mousepoll options...done
Initializing gnomecompat options...done
Initializing loginout options...done
Initializing wobbly options...done
Initializing fade options...done
Initializing animationaddon options...done
Initializing cube options...done
Initializing rotate options...done
compiz (cubeaddon) - Warn: Failed to load slide: fusioncap.png
compiz (cubeaddon) - Warn: Failed to load slide: compizcap.png
Initializing cubeaddon options...done
Initializing td options...done
Starting unity-window-decorator
As you can see, Unity Window Decorator isn't loading too.

Here is a screen of my desktop for you to see what happens after starting Compiz.

Hope we will find some healthy cure for it :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

My fellow minters are gonna roll me in tar but if compiz is important to you I'd recommend just using Ubuntu, it's optimized for compiz (Unity is a compiz plugin) whereas Mint and other non-Unity Gnome 3 OS's can't use compiz because Gnome Shell/Cinnamon only work with native window managers (mutter/muffin).
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

For me compiz is working quite well with gnome classic login option. I did not installed anything additionally, only selected gnome classic option from the lightdm login options (click on the gear symbol!).
From your screen it looks like you are logged in via gnome standard, not classic.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

To log into GNOME Classic, choose to do so by clicking the gearwheel icon on the login screen.
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

xenopeek wrote:To log into GNOME Classic, choose to do so by clicking the gearwheel icon on the login screen.
Dear Vincent,

The screen I showed above is really Gmoe-Classic. I think some of the Theme is working enough to look like my Gnome3 skin, that's all.

Anyway, there are many errors and I do not wish to loose my documents by switchback to Ubuntu.

Which gearwheel do you mean? I don't see any I think. Can you show some picture to me?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The gearwheel icon at the login screen; here http://www.webstuffscan.com/wp-content/ ... image4.png
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

xenopeek wrote:The gearwheel icon at the login screen; here http://www.webstuffscan.com/wp-content/ ... image4.png
Dear Vincent,

When I click the little Wheel I see 5 options:

- Cairo Dock with Effects,
- Cairo (without effects)
- Gnome
- Gnome Classic
- Mate?

Anyway, I clicked just to be sure every possible option.

Compiz works a little for the 1st Option, that is windows are twitching when maximizing or minimizing.

As for any other effects, I didn't saw any more and windows are docked, I cannot move them on the dektop or resize them.

I tried also some options in Compiz Config to emulate resizing and moving but it's not working.

Abstract to this kind of disfunctionality, is it possible to run or install some kind of fire effect when closing window?

Also, where is it possible to change or find those kind of effects?
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

Atlantian wrote:
xenopeek wrote:When I click the little Wheel I see 5 options:

- Gnome
- Gnome Classic
- Mate?
I don't know about the Cairo options, but I would suggest to start with the standard gnome classic entry and you can try some cairo stuff afterwards.

Choose the red marked option for gnome classic login and check after login on a terminal with

ps aux | grep gnome-classic
For me it looks like this:

nsk@sesta09:~$ ps aux | grep gnome-classic
nsk       2428  0.0  0.1 330956 10300 ?        Ssl  18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
nsk       2474  0.0  0.0  12272   276 ?        Ss   18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
nsk       2477  0.0  0.0  26444   528 ?        S    18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
nsk      10702  0.0  0.0  14984   916 pts/0    S+   18:45   0:00 grep --color=auto gnome-classic
I did not re-checked with gnome standard login option, but strongly assume that the output is different.

For configuring compiz, use compizconfig-settings-manager (ccsm).
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

nsk7even wrote:
Atlantian wrote:
xenopeek wrote:When I click the little Wheel I see 5 options:

- Gnome
- Gnome Classic
- Mate?
I don't know about the Cairo options, but I would suggest to start with the standard gnome classic entry and you can try some cairo stuff afterwards.

Choose the red marked option for gnome classic login and check after login on a terminal with

ps aux | grep gnome-classic
For me it looks like this:

nsk@sesta09:~$ ps aux | grep gnome-classic
nsk       2428  0.0  0.1 330956 10300 ?        Ssl  18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
nsk       2474  0.0  0.0  12272   276 ?        Ss   18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
nsk       2477  0.0  0.0  26444   528 ?        S    18:32   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
nsk      10702  0.0  0.0  14984   916 pts/0    S+   18:45   0:00 grep --color=auto gnome-classic
I did not re-checked with gnome standard login option, but strongly assume that the output is different.

For configuring compiz, use compizconfig-settings-manager (ccsm).
It is working. OMG. You are genious! ^ ^

NOw what's left it's the 3D Alt-Tab function which has been abandoned by fallback to Gnome Classic.
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

Check ccsm .... I assume you will love it! ;)

You will find there configuration for fire/water effects, 3D window switchers, 3D workspace switchers and many more.
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

nsk7even wrote:Check ccsm .... I assume you will love it! ;)

You will find there configuration for fire/water effects, 3D window switchers, 3D workspace switchers and many more.
You were right! I do LOVE it!

Burn effect inside CCSM is already switched On, my windows move like never before :lol:

I will abandon additional sounds to give a little boost to my CPU, but I wonder: Can the mouse pointer be changed also the same way by CCSM or ... ?

Now I will give a try to the 3D Tab, since I have only the horizontal layer with applications miniatures on it and I don't know why, but I will try and try, its so funny and educational ^ ^.

EDIT:
I have launched 3D Tab and it is looking awesome too. Since I don't need to hit Enter to access rotated window or use Keyboard, since using only Alt-Tab shortcut :)

Now I will work on my Cairo desktop Desklets, since I can't place them all on the desktop from the Dock, if you want to help too :)
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

Atlantian wrote:Can the mouse pointer be changed also the same way by CCSM or ... ?
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you can use easystroke to record gestures that launches commands or sends keystrokes after drawn to the desktop. Easystroke has the ability to draw those gestures with the compiz effects fire or water ... unfortunately I have only videos prior to using the fire effect which I discovered shortly after shooting those videos and am using it since then: http://www.youtube.com/user/nsk7even/videos

For the compiz effects to work you have to use the latest version of easystroke from their ppa: https://launchpad.net/~easystroke/+archive/ppa
And enable the compiz plugins: fire, water, dbus

Maybe I will shoot a new video somewhen... ;)

With Cairo related topics I can not help, because I use Docky and Screenlets instead.
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

nsk7even wrote:
Atlantian wrote:Can the mouse pointer be changed also the same way by CCSM or ... ?
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you can use easystroke to record gestures that launches commands or sends keystrokes after drawn to the desktop. Easystroke has the ability to draw those gestures with the compiz effects fire or water ... unfortunately I have only videos prior to using the fire effect which I discovered shortly after shooting those videos and am using it since then: http://www.youtube.com/user/nsk7even/videos

For the compiz effects to work you have to use the latest version of easystroke from their ppa: https://launchpad.net/~easystroke/+archive/ppa
And enable the compiz plugins: fire, water, dbus

Maybe I will shoot a new video somewhen... ;)

With Cairo related topics I can not help, because I use Docky and Screenlets instead.
I will follow you in installing Screenlets. Then I show you what good or wrong I did.
jamied_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jamied_uk »

i use auto login, so how can i use classic with this option as i want compiz fully working with mint 12, it is so much better than the mouse over functions on top left but still want my weather menu bar aswel if at all posible?
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

jamied_uk wrote:i use auto login, so how can i use classic with this option as i want compiz fully working with mint 12, it is so much better than the mouse over functions on top left but still want my weather menu bar aswel if at all posible?
I have the same. I don't know your knowledge but there it is. Click on your login and access settings or advanced settings and switch to manually login if U remember the pass. Then Logout, click the round turbine above your password and choose Gnome with Effects, if U have Cairo it will dispaly it too.

I cannot record when I login, so U need to do it yourself and then access console and type: "compiz --replace".

U need to install many things. Watch my topics. U will find the answer. I'm newbie and I learned, so U will do the same, because it's fun to learn and then it's easier for you.

Here is my desktop ^ ^
http://youtu.be/XKlgEQ9bsK4

It wasn't easy, but if U play with compiz U need to switchback to Gnome Classic to work with it and it's named gnome fallback.

Hope I helped a little or not?
eric k

Post by eric k »

You can indeed change mouse cursors.

You will need to use the Terminal and Gnome Tweak Tool for this, and of course a new cursor set. The video and instructions below are using the oxygen mouse cursor theme for convenience, since it's already in the standard Ubuntu repository, but the procedure is applicable to all sets once downloaded and installed.

1. Open Gnome Tweak Tool. Select your new cursor theme

2. Open Terminal. Run "sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme". Enter the number which corresponds to your new cursor theme. Exit Terminal.

3. Press Alt+F2 to bring up the "Run" prompt. run "compiz --replace". (Alternatively reboot if compiz --replace doesn't work)

To undo the changes simply repeat all the commands above but choose DMZ-White Cursor theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hu9JrdSXB8
Atlantian

Post by Atlantian »

eric k wrote:You can indeed change mouse cursors.

You will need to use the Terminal and Gnome Tweak Tool for this, and of course a new cursor set. The video and instructions below are using the oxygen mouse cursor theme for convenience, since it's already in the standard Ubuntu repository, but the procedure is applicable to all sets once downloaded and installed.
I did what you told me and I did also myself, so I see cursor change without restarting, but still it's restricted to applications I think, since it's working for Firefox and not Nautilus. How can I solve it?

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”