Gnome 3 Review

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Re: Gnome 3 Review

Post by bimsebasse »

... ego and tantrum
M-Spicata

Post by M-Spicata »

bimsebasse wrote:
... ego and tantrum
"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

Interesting response there bimsebasse!

Glad to see you addressed the issues - and I know just how many Crips will welcome being viewed as cooking utensils!

Could you clarify which one is The Cripple and which is the one being Crippled? :lol:

Is it the three legged pot or the steaming kettle - both of which are actually insulting metaphors for differing types of disability? I will take it that you were not aware of that and so were attempted some form of humour in response and did not intend to be deliberately offensive. :cry:

You seem to dislike on point criticism about disability access issues and even legal obligation? Well you did respond with a poor metaphor with even racial overtones! Tut Tut!

NO accusations of long rant either? I'm saddened! Truly Saddened! :twisted:

It is such bad form? - telling a crip they are ranting when they criticise those who fail to grasp or act upon The Social Model Of Disability!

I demand Equality and so your failure to accuse me of Rant and Incoherence is itself an act of discrimination. I demand to be dismissed in equality with others - your failure to do so is itself gross and unforgivable Discrimination ! :lol:
The social model of disability identifies systemic barriers, negative attitudes and exclusion by society (purposely or inadvertently) that mean society is the main contributory factor in disabling people. While physical, sensory, intellectual, or psychological variations, may cause individual functional limitation or impairments, these do not have to lead to disability unless society fails to take account of and include people regardless of their individual differences.
Source
Must be one of the Philosophical differences that gets in the way of accessibility around a most important subject - such as I.T.?

Oh How I hate having to educate Script Kiddies out of their anti-soacial ways!

Do you have any on point responses that deal with Disability and Accessibility where Gnome 3 - Unity - or even Linux in general is concerned?

I'm all ears and most interesting in equality of access - and any comment you have that addresses the issues, and not just some visual pun as a poor response.

Maybe you don't see disability as an Issue in I.T.?

Odd how only last year the United Nations were having to highlight on a Global Scale that disabled people are the largest hidden minority on the planet (Estimated at 1Billion) and just how comprehensively and even systemically the needs of that Minority have been ignored for so long due to dominant social attitudes that can be ever so Crippling!
The first-ever World report on disability reveals that of the more than one billion people in the world who are disabled, 110-190 million encounter significant difficulties in their daily lives. A lack of attention to their needs means that they are confronted with barriers at every turn. These include stigma and discrimination; lack of adequate health care and rehabilitation services; and inaccessible transport, buildings and information. The report recommends that governments and their partners provide people with disabilities access to all mainstream services, invest in specific programmes for those people with disabilities who are in need, and adopt a national disability strategy and plan of action. Importantly, people with disabilities should be consulted and involved in the design and implementation of these initiatives.
It's a shocking concept isn't it! The experts in disability and how the attitudes and actions of others are disabling might just be Crips - and consulting them about the issues may be a good idea! You never know - the crips may have some valuable input that avoids SNAFU!

.. but then again - what the hell would an end user know about accessibility and utility..... Uppity Buggers! :twisted:

Odd too how so many businesses are still failing to meet even basic accessibility compliance for web pages - and the last time estimates were made for lost revenue on that issue, for just the UK, it was over £150 Million per year.

HTML 5 has not improved matters! Global losses are presently estimated to be in excess of half a Trillion Dollars per year..... but to some that is evidently just peanuts and of no interest! <How I wish there was a universal simile for head in orifice>

I see from your profile that you report you are in Scandinavia. I know that only Sweden takes the European Convention On Human Rights and Disability Rights as a serious matter - so maybe you need to look at their example and how Programming there has an inclusive approach and earns more than kronor when adhered to?

It can even promote community inclusion more than anti-social programmed attitudes and conduct, which is of course the Root of Disability due to anti-social attitudes with such a terminal view! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"...progress is defined as reaching a higher category: not doing a thing merely for survival, but for social reasons, and then, even better, just for fun."

Have Fun! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Lively discussion is fine,but let's not descend into name-calling thanks
JonnyScatman

Post by JonnyScatman »

Meh, I think GNOME Shell is okay. I guess I'm not as angry as some other people since there's plenty of other DEs plus a million combinations of stand-alone window managers + taskbars that do the same thing as GNOME 2, and arguably faster.

But I find it hard to recommend GNOME Shell since I find Cinnamon MUCH better. The main problem I had with GNOME Shell was fluent customization. The GNOME Tweak Tool helps in managing customization options in the shell, but it's very unorganized and can easily break the shell. In addition, you can have two or three different versions of extensions from multiple different sources with little to no information about them other than "-insertwhatevershere- Extension". All in an unorganized list. Blech.

Cinnamon fixed that by having a central menu that allows me to change the items on the panels without fear of crashing the thing. Also, it just adds MORE content. You can change the panel items, change the animated windows, blady-blady-blah. I suppose this is a weak point since, heh heh, GNOME 2 did the same thing. But compared to the vanilla shell, Cinnamon's brilliant and has developed majorly over a short period of time.

Short summary: In my opinion, Cinnamon > GNOME shell, not that you needed me to explain that much. I don't miss GNOME 2 all that much because I can install something like MATE or XFCE and get an identical experience. But hey, do what you want to do.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

M-Spicata, have you mentioned your concerns about accessibility handling in Gnome 3 to the Gnome developers or are you just ranting on internet forums about it?

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Seems like some folks just want someone to listen to their complaints. That gets old very quickly.

As far as I'm concerned, those who don't like GNOME Shell don't have to use it. Problem solved, end of story.
tzoannop

Post by tzoannop »

M-Spicata really hit the nail on the head. Let me also point out the following:

1. In the world of "mainstream" Linux desktops, it's either KDE or Gnome. If you don't like KDE (and I don't), you have to go to Gnome. And since the all-knowing folks of the Gnome Foundation have decided that Gnome 2 (which was the definition of excellence and basically only needed better documentation and some "?" buttons to provide help when a novice user - such as a secretary or an accountant or whatever - runs into something s/he doesn't know what to do with) must be put to sleep, stopping all support for it, the only alternative is Gnome 3. Oh, and Unity. XFCE and LXDE still have quite some way to go and absolutely no one in the IT staff of a company will want to wait until they mature. As for Enlightenment, GNUstep, Window Maker, Etoilé and the like, the only one that's somewhat usable today is Enlightenment; Window Maker and GNUstep are antiquated and could baffle today's users. Etoilé, on the other hand, is still in its infancy and I can't think of a business environment that will accept something that's work-in-progress.

2. "Free software doesn't owe you anything". Maybe Free and Open Source Software doesn't come with any guarantees whatsoever. But you know what? If you want Free/Libre & Open Source Software to ever break the monopoly of proprietary software, then its developers will have to get off their high horses and listen to the users instead of going off on tangents that lead nowhere. Like it or not, a product is only as good as the users think it is and, consequently, its designers are only as successful as the products they make. A designer that makes products people either don't accept or press themselves to accept is not a successful designer - he'll soon find himself being unemployable (which will prompt those who have had to put up with his ideas to say "good riddance"). LibreOffice became such a runaway success because its developers listen to the users. And they listen HARD. GIMP is successful because it meets most people's needs, although there's still room for improvement. Blender is successful, because its developers care about what users want.

3. Submitting Bugzilla reports about Gnome is even more pointless than trying to reassemble Humpty Dumpty. The main problem with Gnome 3 is more its design than its execution. Bugs are usually the product of bad execution. Here, we're talking about a workflow that doesn't work, a complete lack of ergonomics and absolutely pointless hardware requirements.

Mind you, I've reverted to Gnome 2.32. I'm really happy with it. It's fast, stable, allows me to work quickly and efficiently, doesn't unnecessarily tax my CPU, RAM and GPU, it does what it should and, with the right themes, it looks fantastic.
tzoannop

Post by tzoannop »

MALsPa wrote:Seems like some folks just want someone to listen to their complaints. That gets old very quickly.

As far as I'm concerned, those who don't like GNOME Shell don't have to use it. Problem solved, end of story.
What would you recommend? XFCE is a step down from Gnome 2 (although it's still a great step up from Gnome 3). LXDE still needs further development. FVWM? Enlightenment? Etoilé? Window Maker? Ratpoison? GNUstep? MATE? What options do we have?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

tzoannop wrote:What options do we have?
There's always the option of continuing to rant and complain until you're blue in the face.

Seriously, "What options do we have?" I was never tied down to GNOME 2; I'm comfortable using any DE or WM I've spent any amount of time with. We've got plenty of options. If you don't think so, perhaps your attachment to GNOME 2 is blinding you to what you can do with what's out there. I don't know, man, when I first tried GNOME 3, I was thinking that if I didn't like it, no big deal, I'd just use something else. So, yeah, I have a hard time understanding all of this. Oh, well, it's your problem, not mine -- I'm fine with GNOME Shell, Unity, Xfce, KDE, Openbox, AwesomeWM, E17, etc., etc. It really doesn't matter to me.
JonnyScatman

Post by JonnyScatman »

XFCE is a step down from Gnome 2 (although it's still a great step up from Gnome 3).
What an original post.
XFCE isn't a step down at all. If anything it's a step up, since it is much lighter on resources and runs on older hardware than GNOME 2. I've set up an XFCE desktop, and it is easy to make it look and feel JUST like GNOME 2.
LXDE still needs further development.
lolwut. LXDE is even faster than XFCE. Don't know what you're talking about.
FVWM? Enlightenment? Etoilé? Window Maker? Ratpoison? GNUstep? MATE? What options do we have?
All of the above, perhaps? Or maybe the infinite combinations of stand-alone window managers and taskbars? We have more choices available to us than ever before, many of which match or surpass GNOME 2. You can either sit there, frowning upon the GNOME team and staying mad, or you can get over it and support the more open desktop environments that can be tweaked like GNOME 2 and possibly more. Your choice.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Gnome 3 is here and the Gnome developers are moving forward. Regardless of how logical, heartfelt or how often a complaint is raised it won't change reality. However if pontificating about it gets folks off, have at it and enjoy.
M-Spicata

Post by M-Spicata »

tzoannop wrote:3. Submitting Bugzilla reports about Gnome is even more pointless than trying to reassemble Humpty Dumpty. The main problem with Gnome 3 is more its design than its execution. Bugs are usually the product of bad execution. Here, we're talking about a workflow that doesn't work, a complete lack of ergonomics and absolutely pointless hardware requirements.
When you have an issue that is not a Bug, but a most basic design flaw that is without dysfunctional computer code, where exactly do you file it so that Gnome Listen - take notice - and even consider acting upon it? :shock:

Does Bugzilla input need to be prefixed and run with Sudo, Pseudo or even GKPseudo? Is that the issue?

I am aware that it has been highlighted for some time - but it would seem that the wrong channels have been used, else there is a deafness issue that defies reasonable adjustment - let alone basic logic and real world living!

All that has been needed for so long is Sort of like getting a Redmond and selecting "Classic"!... or "The Right" as end user, and the opportunity, to right click and make the naughty Launcher move where is most accessible for you and your needs - and does not cause detriment and or disability due to anti social programming attitudes that only comply with one Standard - The Social Model Of Disability - Fail Section!!

I keep wondering where do you file the Social Model Of Disability - FAIL as a Bug where GUI designers are concerned?

It just does not seem to Compile or Run in Python - Ruby - Java - C.... in fact it seems to require a whole new Compiler to be built and designed to get into, and even have basic root access to, some "Wetware" that is already hard coded all the wrong way - and beyond obsolete!

Is it a Bios issue or a Bias issue?

Where is there a Bugzilla option that deals with poorly coded and dysfunctional Wetware at the Gnome end?

Lets have a look at a basic of Interface design, Ergonomics and Work flow that has been about for nearly 20 years.

Gnome 3? Unity? Can an end user readily and easily shift the primary input focus/Task Bar/Primary Launcher selector to the right side of the screen (or for that matter any place on the screen which meets their access needs) with minimal mouse clicks - that is "Right Click" - "Properties" - select "Right" - "Close" - get on with using the DUMB Machine in an accessible and rational manner and without needing Third Party intervention, Program or Auxiliary Aide?

That is - does the End user have personal power, free of third party intervention, be that person of application, to alter the desktop in the most basic fashion, following basic GUI Design and known and established best practice, to overcome basic access issues caused by Disability?

And the answer is...........? :?

Odd that!

It's been standard interface design and practice as disability adjustment ever since it was first raised with some folks in Seattle back in the 90's. Some other interface designers and OS manufacturers were dismissive at the time.... but even they caught on to the commercial value of end user experience - and have been ever so fruity about it ever since.

Some even see selecting a theme as just a personal choice - and yet because it does not have any significance to them, they do not grasp that Overall theme colour and presentation can alter the ability of a Neuro Diverse person to be able to use a system. It's not just High Contrast - or colour blindness that is the issue!

Some defaults and readily accessible options are there for very good reason - and it seems that rational reasoning has become lost in the mists of time and the view of some that the basics don't apply to them.

Ah well :( - what is the point of doing a whole degree in I.T. and Psychology - designing GUIs as you go - and integrating accessibility at all stages as a core requirement and design imperative?

It's all just so 1984 and last Century! :mrgreen:

Some have just followed along and never grasped the underlying Logic and even Legal Obligations that they are are addressing by default!

Why has it been there for so long? :shock:

It costs next to nothing to maintain and complies with all relevant codes of practices - best practice - and even legal obligations in Disability Access and prevention of Discrimination by Service Providers ... and even prevents one from being sued and facing massive legal costs - loss of reputation etc....!

It aint the programmers who can get sued - it's people such as Governments, Institutions and end service providers if they use a GUI that lacks basic disability access Functionality - like moving the Task Bar - Primary Interface Portal - The Big Button with the logo on it..... where it is most accessible to the End User!

It even respects the work of so many - across so many fields of disability who have been advising, testing and even requiring access since the dawn of the PC ...... and all free of charge, so Open Source and Community Empowering!

Its so basic it would seem that the standard has become lost in the mists of time!

Oh - but all that work was not coded in computer language and slapped with an open source user agreement - and it aint mentioned under GNU!

It couldn't be - just as it couldn't be patented.

I fear that even if it had been so coded, some would still miss it's significance due to Terminal Myopia and the rush past the Bleeding Obvious for some personally significant Bleeding Edge experience!

Is it really going to be necessary to go dusting off research work and Theses from the 1970's/80's/90's across multiple institutions on a global scale to get some to deal with reality?

Where do those documents fit in Bugzilla - and would they even be read?

Would they actually care?

Then - some Uber Gurus have a wheel to reinvent for personal amusement - and they throw away the basics because they have no grasp of their reason, logic and Global Implications. To them it is not reality - just a self aggrandising great experiment and a personal vision for their personal desktop!

...and to them Disability Access is nothing other than a coding issue on making Orca work - and anything else more basic and fundamental is out-with their grasp - Poorly Coded and Dysfunctional Wetware is the issue!

Disability Accessibility starts at the desktop and is not an add on or optional extra!

It is a core design imperative that takes precedence over all other issues - ask the big corporate boys - they have been at it and working to avoid legal and public embarrassment for so long!

Now - you tell me where the bug is in the Gnome 3 Code - or is there a more basic and far more fundamental coding error (not written in any computer language or code) that is outside of the capacity of Bugzilla and Standard Reporting Practices?

Where is the log file so it can be studied?

It's really a Zero Day issue .... and time has run out.

Worse - it was a known issue at Day Zero and ignored which makes it far more than a coding bug! It's such a Fundamental error it is best called Mega SNAFU!

Gnome fallback and "Classic" seems to be the way that some are going in a hurried attempt to sidestep the issue and avoid some fall out!

They do fail to address the fact that Unity still denies a person to choose Unity as an option and then make reasonable adjustment to overcome disability. They have to rely upon third party hacks - some which are not even available - and so Unity causes Disabled users to be discriminated against as soon as it's installed - by default. Whoops! :lol:

Oh how interesting It would be, or even will be, to see which has Primacy in Law - GNU clauses 15, 16 and even 17 - or other legislation On a National or even "Continental" basis!

I asked one chap - a Retired Judge - about this little catch phrase;
If the disclaimer of warranty and limitation of liability provided above cannot be given local legal effect according to their terms, reviewing courts shall apply local law that most closely approximates an absolute waiver of all civil liability in connection with the Program, unless a warranty or assumption of liability accompanies a copy of the Program in return for a fee.
He laughed so hard, he had to open a bottle of Port! :wink:

It would seem that as Disability Accessibility and Reasonable Adjustment to that end is an "Anticipatory Duty" and legal obligation which comes into play before anyone even installs an OS - Desktop or what ever - GNU is subordinate to some rather significant law and has a very low priority should any sitting Judge look at it!

The clause can tell the judge to interpret law the way GNU want - but I have to say, such Crass Stupidity has caused great hilarity and much drinking of Port! :mrgreen:

That "Classic" option is there for a reason - as is "Compatibility" mode - and both avoid a number of issues including Disability Discrimination .... and legal issues in The Real World! That's real world issues for end users - employers - institutions - governments......

After all - some with legal structures and offices and operations in the UK may be worried about such things as The Equality Act - the Equality And Human Rights Commission - European Law .... and the fact that at least One European Government had chosen to Go Open Source because Gnome 2 allowed compliance with relevant Disability Discrimination Law across Europe .... and saved money too!

"Merde" said Seattle.

It would be so embarrassing if that Coup De Ta was reversed in favour of other providers who are worried and want their Governmental Clients worth Billion$ (and increased share options) to come back! :lol:

Hmm? GNU protects against what?

Possibly some examples of Cloud Cuckoo Land for those who have no liability as a private individual - who can code as he likes when he likes. After that it's rather useless and even infantile.

Gnome 3 is a dead end - and deserves all the derision that can be heaped upon it!

It has missed so much that is basic on all levels - and there are no excuses! NONE!

It may be superbly coded and conceived - but when the end user is crippled by it there is a very big issue that impacts upon Real World Reality and not some Virtual Reality Concept and Ego trip - and a pretty desk top with no readily accessible icons.

Gnome 3 is beyond rescue - it is un-salvageable.

The only rational course of action is to return to Gnome 2, recommence rational development, and reproduce some people's idea of a Gnome 3 GUI as an optional layer over a functional and legally compliant desktop based upon Gnome 2 - so The End User can go 3 or Classic in a few mouse clicks.

Of course, some have grasped that and become ever so "Mate"y.

Problem is that Mate is just another example of reinventing the wheel - and it will probably need 3 to 5 years on consistent, well managed and rational - controversy free - development before it is accepted as a true alternative to Gnome.

If Gnome 3 was a commercial project, 2 would still be under Pro-active development and 3 would be an optional overlay and that would have happened already - but as there is no commercial imperative to control excess zeal and frank stupidity......!

Well, it would seem that the Good Ship Gnome 3 will just sail on until it hits something very hard - and even then there will be a Band Playing On to the Bitter End! ... it's so April 15th!

I have been chatting with one user who is wondering about launching a new distro based exclusively upon Gnome 3 - and calling it "Titanic Linux"! :mrgreen:

It has backing!

They have a great basic wallpaper already! Whoops - Glug Glug Glug!

Whoever has been the Uber Guru in charge at Gnome3 needs to be got rid of - and rational practices, world views, and even End User Need/Experience returned to as the focus upon which code is built! It is after all the core reason for having a GUI!

A GUI that empowers and enables is good. One that cripples any End User is not!

There is even a clear example in Gnome 3 of why the person with oversight of an IT project should be primarily outside of the field and End User biased and not code biased.

Good Code is about Good Code. Good Product is about End User Utility and Accessibility. The Two can be Mutually Exclusive when vision is lacking in leadership and management is not able to manage reality in it's widest real world nature!

Harsh - but there we have it!

Whilst Gnome 3 and others built upon it deny disabled users the rational and long standing opportunity, as developed standard, to decide where the primary access point on a screen is best for them - well, such projects and Desktop Indictments will only act as examples to others of how to Get It So Wrong - and show how to avoid the Zero Day mess that is without computer code as the core issue - and is Gnome 3!

GUI designers take notice - KDE - Gnome 3 - and then Unity!

How many real world examples do some need to get some "Wetware" out of snooze mode and even working anywhere near capacity?

One also has to wonder when, before the end of support for 10.04, Canonical/Ubuntu will tell Gnome to Fork Off?

Whilst some at Gnome may be hiding behind a GNU and loving the supposed protection it gives them - other none private individuals do have to deal with Real world reality and legal obligation - as well as making sure that come 2013 what ever offering they have to the public - and even the public and private sectors - does not become legally embarrassing and a "Cause Célèbre"!

Gnome foundation may end up missing some funding as it gets pulled - but then again reality is not to everyone's tastes or capacities - and they can always take reassurance from that GNU.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Again, consider spending your time trying to get the changes you like to see into the free of charge DEs you use by filing bugs or contacting developers instead of writing long-winded rants on internet forums. This is unhealthy for you and useless for everyone else.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

monkeyboy's sig says it best:
If thy OS offends thee, reformat thy hard drive.

If you don't like it, make something better.
If you can't make something better, adapt.
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.
bimsebasse wrote:Again, consider spending your time trying to get the changes you like to see into the free of charge DEs you use by filing bugs or contacting developers instead of writing long-winded rants on internet forums. This is unhealthy for you and useless for everyone else.
I'm surprised anyone bothers to read those long-winded rants. A short post saying "I don't like GNOME 3, here's why" would have been much more effective. Sorry, M-Spicata, the long posts are a complete turn-off, at least for me.
M-Spicata

Post by M-Spicata »

bimsebasse wrote:Again, consider spending your time trying to get the changes you like to see into the free of charge DEs you use by filing bugs or contacting developers instead of writing long-winded rants on internet forums. This is unhealthy for you and useless for everyone else.
Uhmmmmm?

bimsebasse - Does this response actually address a single issue or a single point made?

Well - NO! :lol:

What a surprise that is!

Thank you for your concerns as to my health - but that is actually not the issue under discussion - and I have not raised it as a relevant issue! Why have you? :?

I do hope your potentially(?) insulting response was not an actual example of patronising attitudes because it's Disability that is being highlighted - by a disabled person?
The social model of disability identifies systemic barriers, negative attitudes and exclusion by society (purposely or inadvertently) that mean society is the main contributory factor in disabling people.
Perhaps you will consider addressing the issue of "Disability Accessibility in GUI Design" and leave me to be responsible for my health and own welfare?

I am a big boy - and have decades of experience in getting that issue right! :lol:

So - please leave out any patronising references to my health (purposely or inadvertently) where any discussion is concerned - and if you have any valid contribution to the issue of Gnome3 - GUI Design - disability access and compliance with best practice and even legal obligation.... I'm all ears!

So - thanks for your interest - but unless you address the actual topic and leave patronising faux concern for health and welfare out..... I see no value in responding to you further! :lol:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'm genuinely concerned about your mental health writing these lengthy rants and didn't think about or mean to hint at whatever your physical health is. Don't you think trying to get your concerns across in a calm non-crazy way to a developer through a bug fixing interface is a lot better than this? Why don't you try that first, and if it doesn't work then pull out the old soap box and start shouting?

Have neither experience with nor an opinion of the accessibilities handling in Gnome 3 - I just know that ranting in here gets you nowhere with it.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

M-Spicata, it's better to post concise responses rather than write a whole research paper on the subject. Hey look, this is a forum site--Linux MINT's forum site to be specific. If you don't like Gnome3, make a list of WHY you don't like it and send it in to the Gnome developers.

LMint doesn't develop Gnome, it just takes Gnome and INCORPORATES it inside the operating system. LMint made Cinnamon only (Ubuntu made Unity), not Gnome or XFCE or LXDE (each component of Linux OSes can be made by different companies or organizations and then ported to some other Linux OS).

I see from your profile that you are a "disability guru" and that's cool, you're an activist fighting for equality, but as much as you rant on THIS forum, it's not helping anyone. Bothering the Gnome devs will surely give a message, so I encourage you to continue your activism, but directed to the Gnome devs.

Here's a list of why I don't like Gnome3 (much better way of getting your point across):
1. Panels
2. No Compiz
3. "Feels weird"
etc etc etc...
mikes1979

Post by mikes1979 »

Just joined the community in an attempt to find out what the deal with Gnome 3 under Mint 12 was, and because I've thoroughly enjoyed Mint for a while now.

Synopsis:

Gnome 3 was quite obviously rather hastily thrown into Linux Mint 12. I say this because if you look at the forums, issues with Gnome 3, and more specifically with the Gnome panels not showing up are rampant. In addition, with 2 separate computers with two separate specifications, I have very similar issues. Mate and Gnome Classic work great, Gnome 3 crashes constantly or just doesn't show up.

What worked for me: Use Mate. Gnome 3's lack of maturity (especially in this distro) coupled with it's lack of customization over Gnome 2 make it a lackluster desktop manager anyhow.

~ Mike
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mister.T »

This is only part of what can be done with a Gnome 3 LMDE desktop.

Very usable, very snappy, appears to be less resource intensive than Gnome 2 and with the corner hot spot; extremely efficient for multi tasking.

Yes, the default settings suck, but personally, I never used the Gnome 2 defaults anyway. I hope that in time Gnome 3 will be developed into something just as configurable our beloved Gnome 2.
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Nice desktop, Mister.T! 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”