LMDE KDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
demilord

LMDE KDE

Post by demilord »

Is there a plan that LMDE also gets a KDE version? If so I will switch back to Linux Mint..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pan14

Re: LMDE KDE

Post by pan14 »

You can always just install kde to lmde. It's what I do.
demilord

Post by demilord »

awesome going to do that!
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Read the latest blog about UP4, it says there will be a KDE version.

This is a very interesting idea to me. Instead of fighting with Gnome Shell or the not-yet-finished Cinnamon, KDE sounds like a very possible alternative.

I would certainly like to know more.

Clyde
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Lugh wrote:Read the latest blog about UP4, it says there will be a KDE version.
that is not my understanding of that blog post (but i can be wrong :) )
as i see it, Clem means that kde 4.7.4 will be made available to install with UP4 << i wish i was wrong though and a proper kde v. was included with this upcoming respin.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Why would it list KDE 4.7.4 in the list of environments if it wouldn't be one of the desktop environment options? I don't know any more than the blog either, but I read it as allowing me to choose KDE over Gnome Shell, Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce. I certainly hope so.

Clyde
GregE

Post by GregE »

Any LMDE can have KDE added simply by adding Debian Testing to the repo list and sudo apt-get install kde then a restart and log into KDE.

If you do this you do lose the safety of the upgrade packs, but then Testing is heading to a freeze for the next Debian release so I would not expect too much breakage.

I run a LMDE/Sid system and have KDE 4.7 installed. Testing is still on 4.6.

So the point of my post is that you do not need to wait for a KDE LMDE, it is easy to make your own.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

That is very good to know. I hadn't really considered KDE. I've been watching the Gnome Shell / MATE / Cinnamon development and debates wondering what I will do when LMDE makes me decide. I like things about them all and dislike pieces of any of those solutions too. After the blog I've done some research into KDE (which I haven't touched since the 3.x days). I'm very pleased to see how 4.x has matured and advanced. It is definitely an environment that I could work in long term.

Since I like that stability and maturity, I also like the Update Pack concept and have locked into it. So, I will move to KDE 4.7.4 when UP4 comes out. I'm sure there will detailed instructions of how to do that.

Thanks,
Clyde
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's really not that hard :wink:
all you have to do is:

Code: Select all

apt install kde-standard
(if you just want the basic desktop and a few apps)

Code: Select all

apt install kde-full
(if, as the name says, you want the all kde experience)
UP4 is going to have kde 4.7.4 (was a close one :lol: it migrated to testing in the 17th and UP4 was synced on the 20th)
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

I wonder if it would be better to move to KDE before UP4 or after. I'm thinking that if I move now I'll have less Gnome Shell or whatever to uninstall later. Also it might upgrade easier. Is that kde-full 4.7.4 today?

Clyde
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clyde,
if you are following the UP, install now (in UP3) kde would give you 4.6.x, then in some days yo would update all the kde stack to 4.7.4 and all the rest of of the system.
- the transition from UP3 to 4, on its one, without those extra pkgs included is going to be near 1G d/l - might not be important to you, if you have a fast connection and a good internet plan but it's something to consider for a lot of users.

also, be careful about what you are going to uninstall afterwards, don't get carried away removing all gnome-related stuff because you will break your system in seconds.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Thanks for the very good points.

I do have a very fast Internet connection with a good plan. (Comcast Blast!) So, that doesn't really bother me.

Great idea about not zapping all my Gnome 2 stuff. However, it seems like installing KDE before UP4 means that I won't also be adding a lot of Gnome Shell or Cinnamon stuff that I won't be using. i.e. UP4 will only update KDE. Then I can just uninstall Gnome apps that are already covered with KDE apps. That should leave me with a pretty straight UP4 upgrade.

Are there a lot of differences between 4.6 and 4.7.4?

Thanks,
Clyde
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clyde,
sorry for the late reply :oops:
i don't use 4.6.x for so long that is hard to compare, but i can try :lol:
- you won't see a radical UI changeover: the panel, the menu, the notifications, the widgets etc are in the same place :mrgreen:
- what you see is general improvements (this is better, that is more rational, this kind of stuff)
- kwin is a lot faster and lighter http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=OTg1Mw
- activities are now a lot more easy
- nepomuk is (almost) usable (you have to wait for 4.8 for that)
- apparently (i don't use it, so can't say for sure) kmail is still not working properly

probably (as i said) i'm missing a lot of things :shock:
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

Thanks for the info. Since I haven't used KDE for so long I don't know what most of that means. However, it's a good list to start my exploration. That's because I just installed KDE on my LMDE.

You're right, it is 4.6.5. I guess I'll do the comparison when UP4 comes out.

So far, I'm very happy with what I see. I'll be spending some time learning all the configuration options (there are a LOT) and all the "k" apps (also a lot). The key thing is that the immediate learning curve is very small. i.e. I was immediately productive in KDE. I don't know for sure, but Gnome 3 didn't look like it would be immediately productive. Cinnamon probably would have been more so, but I'm still leery about its stability. Therefore, I'm very happy with KDE and think it was the best choice in these times of great change.

Thanks,
Clyde

PS - Once again, LM forums are the best Linux community.
il_marcello

Post by il_marcello »

I'm using Linux Mint KDE (w/ KDE 4.8.1) on my personal laptop, and so far I'm very pleased with it. It is light-years ahead of KDE 4.6.5.

I now have to upgrade my workstation (the one at the office, that I use for real work) from Ubuntu 11.10 because Unity doesn't seem to get along well with my graphics hardware, and I cant decide whether to go with LMDE + KDE or LM KDE.

I want to use KDE, but I'm thinking that on a production workstation LMDE might be better stability-wise.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

I like the stability of LMDE using the Upgrade Packs. I plan on sticking to that. I made a small exception to adding KDE 4.6.5 because I expect UP4 will upgrade KDE to 4.7.4 in a few days. I installed now so I won't be bothered with Gnome 3, Cinnamon, or MATE. That way UP4 will keep me on KDE and following the UP path. I'm guessing that I'll have to wait until UP5 to get KDE 4.8. OTOH, it's hard to miss something you haven't seen yet.

Clyde

Return to “LMDE Archive”