Suggestion for an easy access to CUPS

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
clatworthy

Suggestion for an easy access to CUPS

Post by clatworthy »

I have recently installed LM12/Gnome on my desktop and my laptop and have enjoyed the experience. However, changing the default printer from PDF to the actual printer has taken a while. I have also got rather bored trying to convince the printer settings that I use A4 paper.

I came across a post on this forum where we were advised to enter http://127.0.0.1:631/ into the web browser. MARVELLOUS. All is now as I want it. But my suggestion is that a link is inserted into "System Settings" or "Advanced Settings" to simplify accessing CUPS.

I previously used KDE on SuSE and these folk have the HP GUI for setting up the HP printers. Maybe spoilt by the KDE experience! Having the Gnome version of this would be the absolute best result, but that must be quite tricky as it has not been done yet.

Regards and thanks for LM12.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Suggestion for an easy access to CUPS

Post by altair4 »

Menu > Preferences > Printers

If you launch that from the menu the system invokes the gnome-control-center module for printers. The problem is that it's basically useless. Gnome is in a relentless pursuit to reduce function and even it's supporters have to agree that they went too far with this one.

Install the real one that works:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install system-config-printer-gnome
Then run the following command to invoke it:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
From there you can right click a printer to set it to be the default and open up properties to set paper size and other things.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”