No command line, just click.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Aging Technogeek

Re: No command line, just click.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you are so enamored of CUI methods, I will recommend a GUI for the cli - CLI Companion. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/cli-comp ... o-use.html

This little beauty builds a frame around the terminal that includes a local displayed database of frequently used cli commands. This database is fully configurable using the controls built into the frame. You can add or subtract commands as you need to and include thumbnail descriptions of what each command does. I believe you can even enter commands by clicking on them in the database window then clicking the proper button on the frame.

There you have it - a GUI terminal.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Aging, the funniest thing about that is the CLI commands to install it! :lol:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clicompanion-devs/clicompanion-nightlies
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clicompanion
I did take a look at CLI Companion some time ago, but quickly got bored with it. Might be nice for other people, though.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

MALsPa,

That's the old fashioned way. There is now a GUI for that - Y PPA Manager

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/y-ppa-ma ... buntu.html

Copy and paste the ppa name into the window, and it is installed and software sources are updated automatically. Then you can install the app from Synaptic or Software Manager.

Of course you must install the PPA for Y PPA Manager via the terminal.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

For some reason, I cant see any more posts on this thread, something is wrong...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Of course you must install the PPA for Y PPA Manager via the terminal.
:lol:
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

In my opinion, the terminal is faster and more accurate. You cannot be certain what is going on with certain GUIs. The CLI gives you much better control over anything you would need to do.

I do understand why some people would prefer a GUI however, but that is the beauty of linux. In linux you have the freedom to do whatever you want. If you would prefer to do some task with a GUI, there is probably a program that will do this for you.

Anything worth learning will take some time to learn. Windows isn't super duper easy to use either, people just learn it over time. Linux can be learned the same way exept linux is easier to learn; there's just a whole lot more to learn with linux since everythings open.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

By no means i mean to eliminate the terminal, we can have both :-D I meant just to have as many GUIs as possible so that the use of the terminal is not necessary for things that can be accomplish by a gui.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”