What is the difference between Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, ...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
codemilan

Re: What is the difference between Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, ..

Post by codemilan »

"Edited Info... info... info...info... end Edit"-I really didn't understood this statement
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

For LinuxMint Main Editions the default Username and Password are mint and simply Enter respectively.
Does anyone know what they are for LMDE ?
(I am using Windows-hosted Linux Live USB Creator to create a persistent USBkey installation, but can't get into the Package or Software Managers to make lasting changes.)
Edit PS - Please ignore my question, it's apparently still mint, Enter.
My problem was solved by instead creating the persistent USBkey with version 2.8.10 of Linux Live USB creator. :D
BruceCM

Post by BruceCM »

Glad that's sorted! It's probably not relevant but all the tweaks are why I prefer KDE to Lisa, personally. I think the 'edited info...' bit was just saying that trying to explain the differences between different versions of different distributions gets surprisingly complex, very quickly (see Robin's post, which could be said to amount to 'it might be a simple question but the answer isn't'! With enough on how so to look into, though. Just a good way to blow a poor Newbie's mind! (Since I'm still one but I like having my mind blown, so that's great). :lol:
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

I've been using Linux for a bit and have tried a few distros along with different windows managers and desktop environments. Learned quite a bit from this thread though.
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tosim »

craig10x wrote:As a newbie...i'd recommend you try Mint 10 main edition (gnome) first...It's the most commonly used Mint system...You may like KDE because it will remind you a bit of windows and a bit more "eye candyish" (lol)...but Gnome is actually a bit simpler to use...and Clem does up Mint gnome very nicely, it is pretty attractive in it's own right...

For the more experienced, LMDE is becoming very popular and it's what i use now...but i was on Mint main for quite a long time...
LMDE is directly based on debian rather the ubuntu as the other mint editions are (although the smaller ones like XFCE are going debian now)...
LMDE is a "rolling distro" which never has to be re-installed...but it gets constant updates...and is still a bit more "rough around the edges" then the main edition...and better for those who have been on linux and using mint for awhile...

That is why i recommend you start with mint main edition...either 32 or 64 bit depending on your computer's processor... :)
Although I've "toyed" very slightly with Linux over several years, and different versions, I've just recently settled with Mint13-MATE. However, yesterday I d/l and burned a copy of LMDE, and ran it "Live" for awhile. I can't really see hardly any difference. I'm thinking, and inquiring, that as pretty much of a newbie, and not wanting to change versions every 6 months(I know it's not necessary), of uninstalling Linux Mint13-MATE, and installing the LMDE version. If so, can I then use the backup disk i made of the extra apps I've installed, to re-install them in LMDE? Also, how do I uninstall my original Mint13-MATE? Thanks for any assistance.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

Now after all this, which would you recommend: Cinnamon or MATE:
(A friend's machine, not mine: I don't have more detailed specs at hand)
- about 2 years old desktop, powerful, but not state of the art
- basic stuff: net surfing, e-mail, music videos from net, messenger
- some music related SW (Hydrogen, tab-sw, note writing/playing)
- music editing SW
- Music CD burning
- home theater stuff
- maybe Seaclear or something like that (to be used in a laptop too)

I was thinking about HW requirements, finding working SW and perfo needed for smooth operation.
Also, the future of the DEs is a factor. Which one, you think, will last?
Any idea if either of the DEs is becoming some kind of "de-facto default" in Mint?

The laptop is (or will be) another issue altogether.

[edit]
Oops sorry, this belongs obviously to the "About Mint Editions"-section.
Last edited by turboscrew on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centauri-A4

Post by Centauri-A4 »

Robin that is a great post - thank you.

I'm a newbie this year; started with Lisa. As you mentioned about revitalizing an older system, since I just wanted to try-out Linux on something other than a virtual machine in Windows, I signed-out an old laptop from our surplus equipment at work; laptops too old and under-powered for Windows7 (barely ran XP). I couldn't believe the performance with Linux.

And just as I was convinced I wouldn't like anything more than Lisa, I tried Maya. I really like this one even better than Lisa. I also tried the Cinnamon version, but prefer the non-Cinnamon and went back to that one. That Control Center available in the menu is a nice touch.

Ed
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Robin died a while ago unfortunately, from a terminal illness.

Post by 537 »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Robin died a while ago unfortunately, from a terminal illness.
Are you serious?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

537 wrote:
sagirfahmid3 wrote:Robin died a while ago unfortunately, from a terminal illness.
Are you serious?
Yes, Robin's passing was a suprise and a great loss to the Linux / Open Source Community.

In his closing BLOG Robin's father wrote: "He never gave up the faith. Not his faith in God or his faith in Linux."

Robin was wise beyond his years and an advocate for Linux . . . he was 19 years old.
toledomint

Post by toledomint »

Superb, wow wish other experienced users would try and understand that us newbies who really don't have too much understanding of Linux and the entire system but thanks to people giving answers like this help us Newbies so so much. Thank you
badgerlinux

Post by badgerlinux »

what a great post - and such a sad loss.
For those trying to chose a distro for an older laptop - I'm running MATE 13 on a 6-year old Lenovo (Intel dual core 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM) and it works really well. My advice would be don't automatically go for a lighter desktop (unless you like the look/feel) - try a few of the heavier ones also - the compromise in speed might be worth it.. (MATE runs far quicker on my system than Windows ever did) .. the beauty of Linux!
amda2008

Post by amda2008 »

Wow!!! this thread helped me a lot in understanding linux. :D
simplex

Post by simplex »

Hey Robin,

excellent answer! Can you tell me the difference between MATE and Cinnamon? Are these WMs or DEs? Which one has the lower memory/time consumption? I'd like to keep the good old desktop parardigm.

S.

PS: After 15 years of using KDE, I have stopped. It is too buggy and too time consuming
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

simplex, please read 4 posts above yours.
simplex

Post by simplex »

Ahhh, that's sad story. i only looked for the keywords "MATE" and "Cinnamon" in this thread.

S.
Whiskyjoe

Post by Whiskyjoe »

Wow Robin.

Very informative, i am new to and i understood that. Great post thanks very much helped me to understand a little more as well.
ssreddy555

Post by ssreddy555 »

dwasifar wrote:
gms9810 wrote:

Recently I added the XFCE desktop environment to a machine already using Gnome. The process was simple: I just opened a terminal window and typed sudo apt-get install xfce4. This downloaded and installed the complete XFCE desktop, including all its associated applications; and from then on, both XFCE and Gnome were available choices each time I logged in. Even better, all the applications from both environments were available no matter which one was currently running.
After seeing this post, I too added XFCE desktop environment to Mint 12 KDE but I don't like it. In the process of doing so, i chose XFCE as the default. I want to revert to KDE as the default. How can I do so?

Now, I am not able to get the desktop effects in KDE & when I click to reconfigure desktop effects, a notification is displayed that this system will not have them because open GL is disabled. Enabling open GL will crash the system immediately. This change has occurred after I installed XFCE desktop. I would rather uninstall XFCE. Can anybody enlighten me as to the procedure?

Thank u.
felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Post by felixlizarraga »

As for setting KDE again as your default WM, log out. Then, from the list of window managers that you will see on the GRUB screen, choose KDE as the default, log in, and you're done.

Unfortunately, your video card does not fully support OpenGL. It happens a lot with integrated video. Unless it's some kind of glitch that's happening after installing KFCE.

To fully uninstall KFCE, the simplest way to go is opening Software Manager --while logged in KDE or any WM other than KFCE-- looking for KFCE, which should appear checked as Installed, and uninstall it. A more thorough way would involve using the Terminal and typing: "sudo apt-get --purge autoremove kfce" (without quotation marks). After presing Enter, and typing your password, you should be KFCE-free. I'm a little fuzzy on this last method, so try Software Manager first...
southernpride1865

Post by southernpride1865 »

When I decided to make the big switch from Windows to Linux, I went with a vendor of software, because I have no memory left. this way, I just stick the disk in and do not have to remember multiple commands and such for installation. However, their website showed Debian 7.0.0 "whezy" as being the most stable and LinuxMint being the easiest for Windows users to understand and switch to. I took this to mean that Debian was somehow "better" than Mint, and my plan was to put Mint on my desktop and Debian 7.0.0 on my laptop. However, after reading much of this thread, I am now wondering if this is such a good idea-perhaps I should just stick with Mint on both machines? My desktop is an old Optiplex that I swapped out the PSU, Graphics card (THAT was a trick!), mem sticks and processor (A slow P-4 to a faster P-4), so I was not too concerned about anything there. However, my laptop is a cyberpower custom-built gaming rig with all of my games (ALL of the SIMS 3, Halo, Doom CE, Freelancer, Airstrike, and quite a few others, plus everything I moved across my network for safekeeping when I went from Win7 to Mint Olivia on the desktop)l and I am a bit picky about what is there.

So, pros/cons on the following:

Query: switch from Win7, stay with Mint, or try/use Debian Whezy?

Query: because these are Windows games, what issues can I expect to encounter with the switch, assuming I decide to make it?

Query: can/shoud I move everything over to an external HDD and run it via an emulator? And yes, I believe I understand that Wine Is Not an Emulator, but what the heck IS it, and would/will it work in this circumstance? Or should I look into something else? And would this, in essense, be just a stupid way of doing a dual boot system to keep my Windows stuff and use Debian for everything else?

Oh yeah, "Query" was my word of the day!

Thank you

Return to “Beginner Questions”