Network manager applet on wicd

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SidharthaXx

Wicd and network manager applet

Post by SidharthaXx »

Hi All,

I'm giving wicd a spin after some persistent wireless issues with network manager.

I am noticing that the nm-applet in cinnamon seems to work mostly for wicd too? Is that normal? I'm a little surprised by that...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SidharthaXx

Network manager applet on wicd

Post by SidharthaXx »

Hi All,

not sure if this is a Cinnamon question or a networking question.

The network manager applet in Cinnamon... can I get it working for wicd...?

Many Thanks
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wicd and network manager applet

Post by SaintDanBert »

I, too, prefer WICD over NetworkManager. Yes, there are some tangles involved.

In my experience, WICD and NM are mutually exclusive. All of one must be gone before
the other works correctly or at all. Getting to this place can be a challenge, but here is my
recipe.
  1. use your package manager and completely remove both NM and WICD.
  2. "completely remove" means purge and delete the software. It seems you can leave the config details.
  3. connect to the net with a wire connection
  4. use your package manager to install WICD -- you like it best, don't you (grin) ?
  5. configure WICD as required
  6. reboot -- disconnect the wire network cable as your system bounces
At this point, WICD will likely need some configuration tweaks but should play wifi nicely and
without any interference from NM parts that are now purged.

As I said, this worked for me, but I have not gone WICD under Mint-12. The default wifi applications
are working well enough for now and I'm not walk-about often enough to need the WICD features.

Bonne chance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Network manager applet on wicd

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

I would, but it's not solved yet! ;-)

I'm still waiting for info on the NM Applet and whether it can be made to work with wicd.
SidharthaXx

Re: Wicd and network manager applet

Post by SidharthaXx »

Thanks Saint.

I'm pretty sure I have wicd working - I uninstalled the network-manager-gnome using synaptic.

However, what's confusing me, and making me think I haven't uninstalled nm is that my network manager applet still seems to be working fine.
Is that normal?? Shouldn't it cease to function forcing me to rely on the wicd icon in the system tray?

Thanks again
lunatico

Post by lunatico »

Any updates on this?
I'm forced to ditch NM and start using WICD and would like to know first if the applet will work or what...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

topics merged, same subject, same OP

Return to “Cinnamon”