LM12 LXDE won't play DVDs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brian36

LM12 LXDE won't play DVDs

Post by brian36 »

Specifically, the window to request the application comes up once, then VLC or GNOME MPlayer can't find /dev/dvd. Then this window fails to open on successive disk insertions. If I browse, I can find the disk title and play from that point. /dev was checked and confirmed /dev/dvd was absent. This is on installations on two machines Acer M3920 and Dell 1150. Confirmed libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4 installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian36

Re: LM12 LXDE won't play DVDs

Post by brian36 »

PS: I see that there is no /dev/dvd in my LM12 KDE installation and that one works. Confusion continues ...
oldfart

Re: LM12 LXDE won't play DVDs

Post by oldfart »

Usually when you insert a dvd you find it in /dev/sr0. You can confirm this by typing dmesg in a command shell. Have the shell open and input dmesg. This will output a bunch of stuff. Then insert the dvd and wait for it to be recognized. Then hit the up arrow and then hit enter ( This reruns the last command). More stuff will come up. The difference is what the dvd insertion caused. You should see something about sr0. There are a couple of things you can do. Either change the default location that your program looks for the dvd to /dev/sr0 or you can make a link. Read the man page for ln. But you want something like
ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd . This will work but please,pretty please read the man page. Then you will be able to help others make a link. And maybe you can do some reading about the difference between a hard link and a symbolic link. Google is your friend.

Return to “Software & Applications”