is an OEM type setup possible?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Myself

is an OEM type setup possible?

Post by Myself »

I have been asked if I can assist some disabled people, like myself, who are having too many problems with old versions of Windows and cannot afford the costs of upgrading to a newer version due to being on very low incomes, by installing Linux Mint on their PC/laptops.

Even as newcomer to Linux I have no problem with doing this (did it with Windows for many years before becoming disabled but now everything takes me ages to get done) but I wish to be able to allow them to choose their own user names and passwords at 1st log-in as is possible with a Windows 1st log-in.

Can anyone give me advice on how to achieve this with Linux Mint, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigSteve_G

Re: is an OEM type setup possible?

Post by BigSteve_G »

Unless anyone can think of a better way (someone with more Linux experiance no doubt can) what about a script on the desktop that they can run to then create another user account (with their own name & password)? - even if it means you log them into the initial account run the script for them & ask them to fill in the details.

or a script that changes the password (root too) & username
Last edited by BigSteve_G on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

BigSteve_G wrote:Unless anyone can think of ....a script on the desktop that they can run to then create another user account (with their own name & password)? ...
2 reasons. :)
such a script requires sudo privs.
It's never a good idea to let users pick their own passwords.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

LM 11 and earlier have OEM version , see http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=16 .
I wonder if LM12 or 13 will have OEM version too in the future.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

Why not just go to thier system boot the live cd, start the install and let them enter their user/pass during install?
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Not sure if it would be possable (although I'm sure with Mint it is) but what about a script that runs just before the login screen & uses diaglog boxes to collect info from the user that would

1. Create a new user (so they can specify name & password without affecting root)
2. Maybe give them sudo rights
3. Maybe display a message along the lines of "for help/support contact......"
4. Disables it self so it dosen't run again

(by-the-way sorry if my last post seemed a little arrogant, it was actulaly a typo)
Myself

Post by Myself »

I won't be meeting most of the users or be present when they start-up and do 1st log-in.
PCs/Laptops will be brought to me, Linux installed in dual-boot set-up with their existing old Windows, and then the PCs/Laptops will be delivered back to the users.

The script that starts just before log-in sounds like it is similar to what Windows OEM set-up does and allows the user to choose their own user name and password. I do have the time now to learn and so I love to read more about how to set this up as I'm not a programmer.

My fingers are going crazy today with hitting wrong keys and doing double-clicking on keys - the joys of prescribed drug induced neurological condition! It has taken me ages just to type this. I'll have fun writing a script!!!
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Myself wrote:....I do have the time now to learn and so I love to read more about how to set this up as I'm not a programmer.

......It has taken me ages just to type this. I'll have fun writing a script!!!
I could make use of a script like this myself, so if you want I could write one & then post it on here for you.

-If anyone else can help with how to make it more interactive & less commandline based (using gui input boxes) and were to put it to run pre-login it would be appreciated :D
Myself

Post by Myself »

Yes, BigSteve_G, that would be really helpful.
Thanks.
It would have to be GUI as many of these people have cognitive ability issues due to their condition/s or more usually their medication/s.
It is shocking to learn that many of these disabled people struggle to get through life week, to week, here in 'wealthy' Holland on, often, less than 50 euros a week for food and living after they have paid rent, expensive health insurance which is set to become more expensive despite offering less, utilities, home help (subsidised), and taxes. Most have to save for years to buy a computer but some are luck and get a local Government subsidy. I met one disabled woman who saved for 4 years to buy a computer.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Quick update

I've wrote a script & got it working - but I think I may have opened a can of worms here (see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=98335) so just a couple of questions;

1 - Instead of letting the enduser create a new user account (which seems to be fround upon) would simply changing the name of the user created during installation & then let them change the password (also fround upon for some reason) be ok?

2 - Would you be these peoples 'computer expert' as in they come to you any for help? or would they need sudo rights? (to install stuff themselves)
Myself

Post by Myself »

Thanks.

I've read the topic 'can of worms' and see how this is hard work.

I agree with the view that maybe it is best, and easier, to allow change of the user name and password set during installation after 1st boot. I can easily set a default name and password which I can give to each end user. Microsoft get around this in the OEM install by allowing a full installation, install of drivers and applications, and then testing, by the installer. Once testing is finished the 'rollback' facility is called to remove everything the installer has done (apart from the drivers and applications obviously) so that the end user is asked on 1st boot to supply their own log-in name and password. The difference between Windows and Linux is that Linux requires a root password during set-up (making it more secure) but a standard set-up of Windows allows the end user to run as Administrator by default - which is beyond stupid!

Some of them, but not all, will need to install applications themselves. Presently, some, but not all, are receiving assistance via a few Social Services staff who have realised many of these people need such help. The biggest problem for the social services staff who do this is that 1 they really do not have the time, and 2 they have to accept responsibility if something goes wrong with an installation thus requiring them to spend even more time resolving the problem.

I'm no 'expert' but I will be available to answer basic on-line queries.

I have though about using remote log-in facility to provide basic help but this has not yet been discussed with Social Services staff involved, and I'm not sure if it will be allowed anyway.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Myself wrote:I agree with the view that maybe it is best, and easier, to allow change of the user name and password
This may be a better way anyway because you can then set their desktop up for them, adjusting icon sizes, a better background, that sort of thing
Myself wrote:I have though about using remote log-in ... I'm not sure if it will be allowed anyway.
I'd say best avoid this 1/ it means having something running on their machine that has a port open & waiting for a connection which is how hackers get in 2/ You run the risk being blamed when files are accidently deleted (a case of "well you can connect to my machine how do I know you didnt do it?" type thing)

Should have the final script ready soon...
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Sorry for the delayed reply (had kind-of a few things on)

I've wrote a basic script (at the bottom) if you copy this into a file on the desktop & call it 'Setup', then goto permissions & make it as executable as long as the inital user (created during install) is called User it should work ok. (I will test it later if I get the chance)

The lines starting with # are comments saying what the next line will do (except the 1st line) so as to give you an understanding if you want to play around with it

#!/bin/sh

# Display a welcome type message
zenity --info --text="Welcome to user setup."

# Collect user login and full name and make user account
theusername=$(zenity --entry --text "Please enter a username - No Spaces, just letters only please." --entry-text "")

# Change the user name
usermod -l $theusername user

# Collect and set user password
thepwd=$(zenity --entry --text "Please enter a password you would like to use." --entry-text "")

# Change the password
passwd user $thepwd

# Self remove this file
rm ~/Desktop/Setup
Myself

Post by Myself »

I should have said no rush as I will not need it for a few weeks yet.

Will copy and try it.

Thanks.

Bye the way, this may sound very stupid but how do I make a script double clickable with the mouse?
I have tried to do this with some other scripts but keep getting gEdit opening, or an 'error 126'.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Myself wrote:how do I make a script double clickable with the mouse?
I have tried to do this with some other scripts but keep getting gEdit opening, or an 'error 126'.
If you mean set it so when you double click it runs instead of opening up in gedit - right click on it, goto properties, permissions, make executable (tick box)

- or use terminal & chmod u+x Setup
Myself

Post by Myself »

" right click on it, goto properties, permissions, make executable (tick box) "

Tried that with executable scripts but always get a fail with error, "exit code 126".
Have also tried ./scriptname in Terminal from the correct directory but get the same error.
It's frustrating!

I have managed to get scripts to be executed by double clicking in Ubuntu and Mandriva but for the life of me I have no idea how I did it. I noticed I was able to do it after I installed some software via software managers.
Also .py scripts work now in Ubuntu and Mandriva by double clicking on them.
I have tried again and again to duplicate whatever I did in latest version of Ubuntu to allow double clicking to execute scripts but cannot find whatever I installed on 10.04 that allowed it.

Will need to be able to allow disabled users to double click on your script.
äxl

Post by äxl »

Maybe it depends on which file manager you use? And which plugins are available.

Or you could always create a launcher that links to the script I guess.

Code: Select all

sh -c "BigSteve_G.sh"
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

If you open the terminal & goto where the script is located, type 'chmod +x filename' does this allow it to run by double clicking?
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

I was googling around for a solution to this and found this way. Oh and read the comments before kicking off the installation as it seems there is an even easier way!

Return to “LMDE Archive”