Lenovo T520 can hibernate, but cannot resume

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Lenovo T520 can hibernate, but cannot resume

Post by j1mw3b »

I have a Lenovo T520 and I cannot get it to resume from hibernate.
I can hibernate just fine - see success messages on the screen.
But when I try to power it back on, I see messages on screen where it is loading and decompressing the image - same no. of pages as when it was hibernating.
Then something flashes by - I think it says something about "console" - too fast to be sure - then it just reboots back to grub menu.

Any idea how to debug this. It is extremely frustrating to have to shutdown the machine every time I want break away from working. And afraid to leave it while not on AC power. Had to set it to always shutdown when battery low or closing the lid.

I followed the post at http://www.boomerclan.info/techpaperslx ... rnate.html
Here is my system info snippets:
fstab:
# /dev/sda7
UUID=eb39500b-4284-47cc-9248-c4e56bee8256 swap swap sw 0 0

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
#RESUME=UUID=eb39500b-4284-47cc-9248-c4e56bee8256
RESUME=/dev/disk/by-uuid/eb39500b-4284-47cc-9248-c4e56bee8256

/boot/grub/grub.cfg:
menuentry 'LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.0.0-1-amd64' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 281af97d-422b-4346-9157-b927ea1eba13
echo 'Loading Linux 3.0.0-1-amd64 ...'
linux /vmlinuz-3.0.0-1-amd64 root=UUID=0c0fa53f-1d2c-4b84-b648-216e026fbc65 ro resume=/dev/sda7
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /initrd.img-3.0.0-1-amd64

results of ls /dev/disk/by-uuid:
eb39500b-4284-47cc-9248-c4e56bee8256 -> ../../sda7

Have I missed anything?
Is there some way to debug this thing. Seems to be nothing in any /var/log files - a "grep -i decom /var/log/*" gives nothing at all.
This makes me suspect the kernel might be coring after decompressing the image from the swap partition.

My swap partition is 8gb and the system is 4gb - more than enough.

This hibernate stuff is wicked - the last system I had that hibernate was a openSuSe well over a year ago; went thru CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, before settling on the Mint LMDE I have now. None hibernated properly and consistently.

Thanks,

Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo T520 can hibernate, but cannot resume

Post by j1mw3b »

Wellll.......... it seems to be resuming now. Didn't change anything from what is in the post.

Hopefully it will stick.

Jim
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j1mw3b »

Didn't stick. Hibernated and resumed twice and now no more.

Why is this so difficult? Even Windows knows how to do it every time. Wife has a Thinkpad laptop also and WinXP and it always, always hibernates and resumes.
She laughs at me. :-)

Jim
tdtodd

Post by tdtodd »

Hi,

Where you ever able to solve this?

I've been having similar problems with LMDE on my Thinkpad X201s. This laptop had been suspending and hibernating fine for the past year with Ubuntu installed, so I know it isn't a hardware problem.

I'm wondering if you have virtualbox installed? I came across a lot of complaints about virtualbox 2.1 messing up hibernation of the host, even when the virtual machine is not running (but the vbox modules are loaded).

I disabled the loading of these modules on my system a day ago and have had no trouble so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Bye,
Terry
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The T520 has an UEFI BIOS. It probably helps to disable UEFI and enable legacy BIOS in the configuration (pressing both Thinkvantage and F1 keys at the Lenovo logo). Or maybe it works when using UEFI only, or with both enabled.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
j1mw3b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j1mw3b »

I never solved this. The last thing I see after it loads up the hibernation file from swap is something about "console no output" or something like that. Then it just reboots - back to the BIOS post and then Grub.

I do use VirtualBox, which is critical to me, but often there are no VMs running and it still fails to resume.

I am going to try this UEFI thing mentioned.

It really sucks that everytime I have to stop using, I must shutdown and then start all over. Just afraid of losing my filesystem. Have ext4 with full data journaling but still risky.

Jim

Return to “LMDE Archive”