admin password-Answered, Thanks!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

admin password-Answered, Thanks!

Post by euthypro »

Hi,

New to this, so this may be a silly question: Once I've used the system a couple of times, I don't get asked for a password when using any admin programs such as synaptic. Also in terminal using "sudo, Is it supposed to do this?

Only password saved in keychain is for wireless.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Your default user is basically "allowed to run things as root", you just need to use sudo in front of the command you want to run.

You don't really need to "become root", but if you want to, you can use your power to "run things as root" to give root a password :

sudo passwd root

From there you can become root:

su -

Or even without knowing the root password:

sudo su -

Clem
PS: This is a great innovation inherited from Ubuntu.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks,Clem, but still a question.

Post by euthypro »

Appreciate your answer, Clem, and I'm getting to understand the uses of sudo and su -. What I wondered about is whether functions that require root privileges should ask for my user (not root) password every time they start. Or just once per session?

Excellent system, by the way. Enjoying learning it.

Angel
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Thanks,Clem, but still a question.

Post by scorp123 »

euthypro wrote:What I wondered about is whether functions that require root privileges should ask for my user (not root) password every time they start. Or just once per session?
The password is cached for a couple of minutes. So if you start two processes via "sudo" that would require authentication in short succession chances are that the password is still cached from the first process, so all following processes won't bother asking as they can still see the successful authentication from the previous process.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you.

Post by euthypro »

Thanks, scorp. I've been playing around in here, adding and taking out things, and I wondered why it would only ask sometimes. So far haven't broken anything.

A.

Return to “Other topics”