If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShaneCZ

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by ShaneCZ »

Scientific Linux is a recompiled Red Hat Enterprise Linux, co-developed by Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Linux

Scientific Linux Live 6.1:
kernel 2.6.32-131.6.1.el6, xorg 1.7.7, icewm 1.2.37, gnome 2.28, firefox 3.6.18, thunderbird 3.1.11, openoffice.org 3.2.1 (only on LiveDVD), kde 4.3.4 (only on LiveDVD), ...
Last edited by ShaneCZ on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

I guess technically if mint wasn't around tomorrow it would still be relevant for a little while and can still be used. But to answer the question if there were no more mint I would 100% certainly go straight back to Arch Linux
MrCleanWithHair

Post by MrCleanWithHair »

crunchbang (not xfce) or archbang.

If I felt like really giving e a try I might consider bodhi.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I'd switch to Bodhi. I've been messing around with it for a few days now and really like it. It's crisp, clean, quick and pretty. Piece of cake to customise the desktop modules as well. Unfortunately it is still early doors as you can't install across multiple partitions like you should be able to - and to me that is a right pain in the arse.
Having said that, it's currently my main platform :roll:
kvv

Post by kvv »

Lol.. this is tough. I would like to use Crunchbang, but it's based on Debian Stable, so meh (yea I know I can change the software sources, I run it in a VM when I am feeling bored :P). Maybe elementary or Ubuntu? Idk..
linXea

Post by linXea »

I would continue on Slackware and CRUX :) Currently running Frugalware, but that's another story :mrgreen:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ubuntu, Peppermint, openSUSE? I don't know. I know that I won't go back to Fedora, but don't know which distro to choose if Mint wasn't there.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

I would probably use Xfce, Debian or Fedora personally if Linux mint disappeared, Ubuntu is a no-no in my opinion after the "Windicators" and "unity" farces. 8)
rekik

Post by rekik »

Xubuntu.
11.04 , unlike previous versions, is light and fast
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Kubuntu or Lubuntu or any other Ubuntu derivative without Unity and without auto-install of the NVidia proprietary crap.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
richnbernie

Post by richnbernie »

Not going to happen unless someone breaks into my home after stealing all the Linux Mint CD's,DVD's, Flash Drives, hard drives with Linus Mint OS in existance. In other words, lame discussion.

rich
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

Zevenos or anything else which uses debian testing repos. I'm over Ubuntu and there highly experimental bug filled releases.

Sent from my Gingerbread loaded Desire HD.
flygon250

Post by flygon250 »

Well, I'm not actually running Mint anywhere at the moment. I''m using Aptosid, but if both Aptosid and LMDE (I don't care about Ubuntu or anything based on it) disappeared, I would switch to another Debian Testing/Unstable-based distrio such as AntiX or do a netinstall of the Xfce edition of Debian Testing.

If the Debian Testing and Unstable repositories (along with all of the distros based on Testing and Unstable) disappeared, I would probably give OpenSUSE Tumbleweed a try, being the only other major rolling-release distro to use package signing (guess why I am not using the otherwise-great Arch Linux, and it's unclear if PCLinuxOS uses it, despite the use of apt).

If I didn't like that, I would probably give Gentoo a try. I have always wanted to try a source-based distro, but the compile times are off-putting, so if I did try it, it would probably be for the long haul because of that.

These choices are made based off the 3 most important things a distro should have for me - a rolling-release cycle, good, sensible, security-related choices (package signing or some other form of package security, not logging in as root by default etc.) and a wide selection of packages to install in the main repository.

I can change everything else myself. The three things I mentioned above are the only things that can't be changed by the user, hence why they are the most important points for me.
mindmint

Post by mindmint »

Joylove wrote:Next to the currently running LM8XFCE probably Debian with XFCE (Ubuntu is no longer an option post 9.04).
May I know why ? Mint is based on Ubuntu. Well, not the xfce edition. But, how can you run mint while hating ubuntu ?
pan

Post by pan »

I would definitely go to Debian (debian testing repos) :-)
mindmint

Post by mindmint »

Aging Technogeek wrote:If Mint disappeared, I would probably use Peppermint or Crunchbang, with Sidux as a distant third choice
Same here. I've been using sidux and was pleased though. I'd also consider, arch and elementary OS.
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

I would have go to another distro I cant be bothered with mainstream ubuntu (post 10.04Lts best one yet IMO) anymore, given many recent issues with that distro/forum. Let's hope this doesn't happen though (I'd also consider Debian if Linux Mint disappeared)
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

If Mint disappeared, I'd probably switch to Bodhi. If Ubuntu-based distros disappeared, I might go with Open Suse or Debian, but there are many I haven't tried. If I dreamed in code and cli, I'd probably already be with Arch.... :mrgreen:
belred

Post by belred »

I wish this was topic had been done as a poll. Has anyone tallied all the distro mentions?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I'd start using SolusOS and/or PinguyOS. I might experiment with Arch or Gentoo, too.

Return to “Chat about Linux”