Another Unity refugee seeking sanity

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MikeF90000

Re: Another Unity refugee seeking sanity

Post by MikeF90000 »

UPDATE - due to an unrelated xfce issue I rediscovered a way to get a 'minimal' LM12-XFCE system.

- Download and install base Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric from the 32 or 64 bit mini.iso - it takes longer than a CD/ISO install because drivers and base pkgs have to be downloaded. You will reboot into a command-line only system.
- Using apt-get or aptitude, install xfce4, xfce4-session, lightdm and any other utils that you like (say, synaptic).
- Add the LM12 'lisa' repo to the beginning of /etc/apt/sources.list, refresh and add any Mint metapackages that you like.

You don't need the xfce4-goodies or xubuntu-defaults unless you like them :) . Really.

Starting with the LM12 LXDE spin will also get you a pretty lightweight install, but it is 32 bit only at this time.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Another Unity refugee seeking sanity

Post by AlbertP »

Mint LXDE is 32-bit only indeed but you can install the linux-pae kernel to use more than 4GB RAM.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”