Display won't work after installing LM9 Fluxbox edition

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Display won't work after installing LM9 Fluxbox edition

Postby pizzadragon on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi all!

This is my first post and I'm a complete and total n00b when it comes to linux but i searched like hell and i couldn't figure out how to fix the display issue on my notebook.

I have an old Dell Latitude C640 (Pentium4, 512MB RAM) and after trying Xubuntu, Peppermint 2, and Crunchbang (love crunchbang but i'm only so far familiar a bit with ubuntu and Linux mint 12 on my desktop) so i decided to try Mint 9 Fluxbox so as not to tax the older hardware. The live disk and installation went well after i forced it into vesa graphics mode, but now i've got issues.

It's seems to boot into the OS alright but the display just gives me a black screen and this code:
Code: Select all
(process:263): Glib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
                                        * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...              [ OK ]
* Starting NFS kernel daemon                                                                          [ OK ]
* Starting NTP server ntpd                                                                            [ OK ]
* Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                                                         [ OK ]

And that's it. I can successfully Ctrl+Alt+F2 into command line mode but I'm not sure what to do once i get there. I figure it's an issue with my graphics driver, which i've had to manually configure in peppermint 2 when i played with that, but i can't figure out what to do. Is there a way to edit the system in command line to force a reboot into vesa mode so i can tinker with it?

It won't recognize an ethernet connection (though it worked fine during install) so i couldn't sudo apt-get install startup-manager.
*UPDATE: After reboot it can connect to network.

Also, I found mention in various forums that the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics card doesn't have a driver for linux, it's just too old. but then how did i get Ubuntu, Peppermint 2, and Crunchbang to work?

Any other ideas?
pizzadragon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Display won't work after installing LM9 Fluxbox edition

Postby Miami592 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 pm

PizzaDragon,

Welcome to the forum.

While I can't give you a workaround for your issue with Mint 9 Fluxbox I can tell you that you should be able to use that hardware with Mint 9 LXDE.

Have you considered that?

M5
HP a6619f, 4GB ram, 500 GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 930 GS
Mint 13 Cinnamon 64
Miami592
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Others