Dumped LMDE for now!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wb666greene

Re: Dumped LMDE for now!

Post by wb666greene »

I really want LMDE and a "rolling release" to work, but it doesn't! Still no Eclipse after update 3, For some reason update 4 has not been offered to me. It'll be my last try before going back to Ubuntu with 12.04.

LMDE works OK but I can't have pieces I need dissappear with an update! I'd held it back for 3+ months and finally upgraded today and lost Eclipse -- a replacement is not in the repos :(
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

UP4 is being tested in incoming, should be made available to latest soon
the topic where it was tested is here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... hilit=pack
and eclipse is in incoming [hence will be in UP4 latest]

Code: Select all

zerozero:~$ apt-cache policy eclipse
eclipse:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.7.1-1
  Version table:
     3.7.1-1 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/ testing/main amd64 Packages
wb666greene

Post by wb666greene »

Thanks for the info, I look forward to trying update 4, guess I'd gotten confused by info about update 4 for other Mint flavors.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I want to switch to it as it seems significantly faster than Mint 11/12 but I've had problems with it I've never seen with anything one. If I boot off the latest kernel, I get a video error that will persist through a reboot. I have to power down completely to get rid of it. I can't even imagine what that might be. LMDE is probably too far outside of my learning curve and time constraints but I might try it again if there's a respin after Update 4. In the mean time, I've got a 30 GB ext4 partition waiting for me to play with something else...
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

bootmakr wrote:I've finally got LMDE running the way it should - I think :!:

I reinstalled the XFCE version, had problems with it, but this time when it pooped out on me, I installed LXDE and removed that pesky XFCE - then I got rid of the logout problem by installing another login manager, now I've got everything the way I like it, and with the Midori browser, it runs faster than it ever has on this old laptop! Now it's updating and upgrading just fine! Thanks for all the comments and advice!

XFCE is an awesome DE.

Sure, LXDE is marginally lighter. With XFCE you can scale it down to being almost as lite as LXDE or you can trick it out to being more full featured than Gnome2...You can practically run Gnome2 inside of XFCE + XFCE goodies + Compiz.

LXDE cant even preview video clips and several other important things that I need.

LXDE is a fine choice for outdated hardware. However, XFCE shouldn't be considered a pesky or less efficient lite weight DE. It should be considered a highly customizable middle weight DE that offers a good balance between speed and functionality on moderate to newer hardware..I prefer it to vanilla Gnome2 as long as I have Gnome2 dockaps installed.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I'm getting close myself. The system itself is working great now but little details are holding me back, like Firefox won't pass magnets off to Transmission and some of my preferred custom keyboard shortcuts won't work. It's definitely faster than the 'buntu Mints.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Nick_Djinn wrote:
bootmakr wrote:I've finally got LMDE running the way it should - I think :!:

I reinstalled the XFCE version, had problems with it, but this time when it pooped out on me, I installed LXDE and removed that pesky XFCE - then I got rid of the logout problem by installing another login manager, now I've got everything the way I like it, and with the Midori browser, it runs faster than it ever has on this old laptop! Now it's updating and upgrading just fine! Thanks for all the comments and advice!

XFCE is an awesome DE.

Sure, LXDE is marginally lighter. With XFCE you can scale it down to being almost as lite as LXDE or you can trick it out to being more full featured than Gnome2...You can practically run Gnome2 inside of XFCE + XFCE goodies + Compiz.

LXDE cant even preview video clips and several other important things that I need.

LXDE is a fine choice for outdated hardware. However, XFCE shouldn't be considered a pesky or less efficient lite weight DE. It should be considered a highly customizable middle weight DE that offers a good balance between speed and functionality on moderate to newer hardware..I prefer it to vanilla Gnome2 as long as I have Gnome2 dockaps installed.
All I can say is that every time I installed LMDE w/XFCE, my OS failed for one reason or another (I'm not a GURU who knows how to fix what's broke :!:) That's why I considered it a pesky DE. When I installed LXDE and LIghtDM everything got better :!:

With LXDE, I can use all of the audio and video apps with no problemo, so I don't know what you're referring to there. I don't like Gnome - too bloated with crappy programming and graphics; I'm just another computer illiterate who prefers Linus to Bill Gates, but my preferential OS (LMDE w/ my-modifications) is working, so who am I to judge :D :D I love Linux -- to each his own (i.e. what works for one person may not work for another :!: :D
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I ended up reinstalling and then working my way through my sticking points. I'm still having some problems with customizing my keyboard shortcuts but overall it's stable and MUCH faster than Mint 11 or 12. Currently running with the latest version of Cinnamon and it's just brilliant.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I think this thread's name should be changed to something like "LMDE adventures" :) It's surely not about abandoning LMDE anymore.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

Monsta wrote:I think this thread's name should be changed to something like "LMDE adventures" :) It's surely not about abandoning LMDE anymore.
+1 :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”