mounting cifs/smb in thunar... where are the files?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hanzo23

mounting cifs/smb in thunar... where are the files?

Post by hanzo23 »

I am running lmdx and things are great. I work in a environment where I have have to mount smb shares. In thunar, hit ctrl-l and type smb://path/to/share and all it good. What I can't figure out is what is happening in the background. I want to know more about what is going on under the covers and most importantly, I want to know how to get to the mounted shares from the terminal.

I know in gnome, the shares were mounted in .gvfs in home dir but that does not seem to be what is going on here.

Basically I would like 2 bits of info.
1. what is going on behind the scenes when I mount these drives? (link to explanations is fine)
2. where on the local file system are things getting mounted? (terminal access is important to me)

Sorry if this is elementary. I just wasn't finding anything in all my searches.

oznah
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mounting cifs/smb in thunar... where are the files?

Post by altair4 »

First, Debian based mint needs a little work for samba to work on both the server and the client side so let's see if we can fix things on the client side:

Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
Then add yourself to the fuse group:

Code: Select all

sudo gpasswd -a hanzo34 fuse
Logout and login again for the group membership to take affect.

Now when you do the smb://path/to/share it should mount it to $HOME/.gvfs just as it did in Gnome.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
hanzo23

Post by hanzo23 »

That did the trick. I guess I need to learn what is going on with gvfs-fuse.

Now I am seeing the mount in $HOME/.gvfs
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

You may want to use 'Gigolo' and put a launcher in the panel if you don't always mount in every session
I do, and have a bookmark in thunar's side-panel (only shows after mount in Gigolo first) :wink:

P.S. use the preferences to get to mount how you want.

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”