Openoffice creates huge Excel file

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Openoffice creates huge Excel file

Post by lotech »

I have been using OO for some times now, there are some things I like it, such as the ability to export to PDF, and a simple read and save will reduce PPT file size, but the bad is a small Excel file will become 4 times as big once edited. I have a simple worksheet with non English characters in a small table about 7x30, no formula and no longer than 20 characters average in each cell, a few do have about 50 characters, but I don't think this will make a big different.

For example :

Original Excel : 21K
Open and save in ODF becomes 17K
Save as Excel becomes 74K

This is not a big problem with small file, but bigger file will be trouble to me as I've a slow line.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
Husse

Re: Openoffice creates huge Excel file

Post by Husse »

I think this has to do with "Save as excel"
Check the OO forum
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

What's wrong with save as excel ?? I asked why the bigger file size OO created in the same format, if you know the answer please tell me, thanks.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't know, and I am assuming that Husse dose not either, that is why you were referred to the OpenOffice forums, you will find better answers there as that forum is devoted to it. If we knew that answer, we would tell you, Husse is trying to give you the best advice he/we can, as this is not a Mint issue, but an Oo issue.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Yes there is nothing to do with Mint, but there is such a section people post their question regarding various applications so here I go and try my luck here, it is easier than joining 100+ forums just to get answers for different apps., sorry if you don't feel right about that....

Beside, I feel OO forum is not as user friendly and my other questions never get answered so I gave it up, I thought all Linux forum works similar, and I just switch from Ubuntu I feel Mint is more suitable for me.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The simple answer is - we don't know everything -not me, not even Clem.
But we/I answer everything to the best of our/my ability, which sometimes can be to refer to another forum
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Yes, may be some other will know, or not, never mind, thanks.
molom

Post by molom »

I've had the a same problem saving in .doc files with OpenOffice. I imagine its because the Microsoft office file code is copyrighted, so OpenOffice has to create their own code to be compatible with MS office files. The MS files start large in OpenOffice, but when putting more info into the file it doesn't make the file much bigger. This is something I believe can't get fixed until OpenOffice develops better code. I imagine that is why OpenOffice has there own file format.

Cheers,
molom
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Oh I don't know about that, my experience was, a 90M PPT open and then saved in OO in the same format reduced to 30M !! IMHO, since my excel is so simple without formula, OO should have removed some unneeded codes to save as smaller size.....
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Thanks for the info., this surprised me much as Linux used to have cleaner codes than windows, if this is not bug I don't know how come the big difference, the OO specific codes should have removed when save as non native format.

Return to “Software & Applications”