SamsungFS, FUSE, samsutools, and severe headscratching

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ookami

SamsungFS, FUSE, samsutools, and severe headscratching

Post by Ookami »

Seriously, I might cut through to the skull if I scratch my head any longer...

Let's see. I got a new Samsung J600 today as a birthday present. Nice. It's very pretty and that. I notice it has an MP3 player built in. Awesome. I don't have another one. I realise it may have a few problems with Linux as the included software was made for PC. No matter.

But I came across hope in a google search under the name of "samsutools". Apparently, it's an easy to use, easy to install program that lets you mount Samsung mobiles as flash memory devices. So I follow the instructions. Oh, it says something called "FUSE" is not installed. I have no idea what that is, but I run apt-get with a look of hope about my face. No hope. A google-search yielded hope in FUSE's sourseforge page. I followed THEIR instructions which seemed considerably more successful, because it installed easily with the standard ./configure make whatever it is. I try again, and it tells me something's missing still. Google (god bless that search engine) said I should install FUSE-python. So I installed python-dev and fuse-python and got it working to THIS level.

"fuse.FuseError: filesystem initialization failed"

I have no idea how to work the program, I just followed the instructions given on this website which up to now have worked fine.

But I have no ida what to do next. Can someone help me? =3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ookami

Re: SamsungFS, FUSE, samsutools, and severe headscratching

Post by Ookami »

Hmm, okay.

Ignore the above, I've solved that problem. However I've run into another.

Upon mounting, the folder in which the filesystem is placed becomes readable only to a root user. Also,you cannot modify the files in them, apparently. I've tried transferring a small mp3 file across and it says the destination is full. After looking into it, it seems my model is unsupported.

Is there another way to get this working? For instance, through the use of a bluetooth dongle? I don't want to spend more money just to find out it won't work under Linux either =P

Return to “Software & Applications”