Dark Glass Icon Set

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Doctor

Dark Glass Icon Set

Post by The Doctor »

I went to gnome-look.org and downloaded and opened an alternate set of icons: Dark Glass. But, I can't find the instructions on how to change the icon set in Gnome. I did it in Kubuntu, but I found the place to change sets. Is there a way in Daryna Gnome? Also, I would love to install Cairo-Dock, but none of the links I went to in Tips and Tricks had a complete Deb package. Any Help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dark Glass Icon Set

Post by newW2 »

Extract the icon set to:
usr/share/icons
Select MintMenu --> Preferences --> Apperances
Select the Customize button on the Apperances Preference panel (near bottom)
Select Icons Tab
Select the name of the Icon set you extracted to usr/share/icons

You can install AWN (Avant Window Manager) Dock from the Software Portal.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I did the Avant install but nothing changed.

i got lost when you said to "extract" to... When I doubled clicked the tar file, another window came up and there was a icon for "extract". But when I clicked on that, another window came up, the Archive Manager, and the name "Blended Crystal-full" then came up in a window with the title bar Blended Crystal tar.gz. There was an extract icon, but when I clicked on that a window came up that was labled "extract". From there I got lost.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

In Linux, a "tarball" is a compressed file with an extension ending in *.tar.gz (or variations.) It's similar to a ZIP file (e.g., *.zip). Extracting a tarball typically involves right-clicking the file and selecting "extract here..." from the context menu. To clarify NewW2's instructions, you can only extract icon themes to /usr/share/icons as root. This is fine if you're willing to go through a few extra steps to become root. The easiest way is to open a terminal and type: "sudo nautilus". In the resulting root window, choose file --> open new window. Navigate to where you saved the Dark-glass.tar.gz in one window and /usr/share/icons in the other. Copy the tarball to /usr/share/icons; right-click the file; select "extract here..."; delete the tarball after the extracted folder appears. This installs the icon theme system wise (i.e., all users can use it.) Now you can go to the Control Center --> Appearance and select the icon theme from the "customize" menu. An alternative method is to extract the theme to /home/username/.icons/ (where username=your user name.) This will make the icon theme available only to your user account but you won't require root privileges to copy the file.

A really good overview of "tarballs" and how to deal with them from the command line as well as the GUI interface is located here. I suggest you have a read:
http://www.linux.com/articles/113552
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I have always had to install from source before. I never had the "leisure" of doing a right click and then having a script "extract" a tar ball. This is neat. I have only viewed a distribution to be as good as the available help. This distro rocks. Thank you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”