best source for wine

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
benjie1

best source for wine

Post by benjie1 »

Best source to download and install wine - from synaptic package manager, software manager or from wine?
Jupiter_Spunk

Re: best source for wine

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

software manager, and synaptic manager will use the same repositories, os they don't matter.

your pick.
benjie1

Post by benjie1 »

OK. So I guess you left out wine itself on purpose? Or not? Thanks. Bob
Jupiter_Spunk

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

Wine Distributes the files for the repositories, So, you may get a newer version of wine from Wine itself, but I generally start with what comes with the distro.
benjie1

Post by benjie1 »

Neither the Software center nor the Synaptic Software has Wine at all. They have .doc and winetricks but not the program. In winehq I found a .tar.bz2 but there was info regarding stability so , as a Newbie, I left it alone. Can anyone advice me on how to get wine 1.4 or 1.5 installed on LMDE v 2.88. Thanks. Be kind to newbies. Will try and understand what your intructions say. Thanks. Bob
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here by moderator]
there's a few topics in the lmde sub-forum regarding this subject
http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... mit=Search
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

It seems like every couple of weeks a new user pops up asking how best to install Wine. Perhaps it would make sense for the moderators to create a sticky outlining the main methods? It shouldn't involve much work, just a copy & paste job from previous threads.
benjie1

Post by benjie1 »

Gee this is difficult to do but will stick with it. Followed the steps listed (forgot who) to download the 18 -19 .deb files for i386 (not the amd). Anyway, put those in the download diredtory, followed the instructions. It finished but now I can't find wine on my machine. If it installed, where is it? And what more do I need to do to install it? Thanks. Bob
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

In terminal:

whereis wine
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Kevin108 wrote:In terminal:

whereis wine
which wine will give you the executable

$ which wine
/usr/bin/wine

Try doing as user not root
update-menus

Should either be a menu entry for wine or it might showup under Utilities.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Brian49 wrote:It seems like every couple of weeks a new user pops up asking how best to install Wine. Perhaps it would make sense for the moderators to create a sticky outlining the main methods? It shouldn't involve much work, just a copy & paste job from previous threads.
I hope not

Shouldn't we be using Linux and OSS for any programs we need
--a better way to run a windows application program is via a VM, such as virtualbox, and assumiong you have a legitimate copy of a windows OS
  • For games , wine or any of the wine commercial ventures such as Codeweavers are not great
    --for that situation, multiboot (dual-boot) is the answer or even a separate game machine with the windows OS installed and all the games you can use!
http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-review ... tware.html

http://transgaming.com/
--no longer in the Linux winex business
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

DrHu - I don't suggest that people should be positively encouraged to use Wine. I do suggest that a less labour-intensive way be found of coping with the steady stream of questions about how to install it.

I'm sure that dual-boot and VM are the best way to go for heavy usage of Windows applications. However, if, like me, all you want to do is run a handful of small Windows utilities which have no Linux equivalents (e.g. RouterStats), then Wine seems like a sensible solution.
benjie1

Post by benjie1 »

Now I have update pack 4 and cinnamon. Still don't see wine 1.4 in the synaptic center and wine itself ( as above) send me to a site with 18-19 files to download. Tried that and couldn't find wine anywhere to install or run it. That was prior to UP4. So now what's the best way to install wine 1.4. Only plan to run MS Office 2010, a solitaire game, from Hardwood Solitaire, and try iSpQ9. a video conferencing program from Lavasoft. Thanks for any help. Bob
proteusmoteus

Post by proteusmoteus »

wine isn't offered by default by mint (won't see in synaptic or apt-get) so you can either download and install it manually (no automatic updates) or setup an external repository (possibility to corrupt your mint)

An external repository (what I use and describe below) corrupts your system by overwriting the default packages because the external packages have a higher version number, but just because the system thinks it is upgrading doesn't mean the upgrade is compatible. To only pull in the package you desire (wine) and keep it up to date you first need to modify the preferences file

Code: Select all

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences
and make it look like this (if I remember the prior settings this should be an increase of 100 to each entry):

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 800

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 800

Pin: origin debian.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 600
Repositories are preferred by the priority listed in this file over package version numbers. As external repositories such as the one about to be added for wine have a default 500 priority, no mint packages will be overwritten by the update process. Now it is safe to add the siduction repository (towo no longer maintains frickelplatz as he now works on siduction)

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and add this entry at the bottom

#siduction: wine
deb http://packages.siduction.org/experimental unstable main contrib non-free
Lastly download and install via 'dpkg -i' the siduction-archive-keyring package, and you should see wine available for install in synaptic
benjie1

Post by benjie1 »

OK Thanks proteusmoteus. That's quite a bit of code and editing to do for a newbie but will try and let you know what happens. Thanks. Bob
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

benjie1,
if those instructions are confusing probably the best is not to follow them, if you don't know what you're doing don't!

in that post, protesmoteus is instructing you to add a repo from a different distro, following completely different packages version (meaning that things can work luckily or can break your install).

there's people doing that, but those know what they are doing and how to do it.
it's up to you.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

This is a real good source for wine.

Sorry! :lol: :lol:
benjie1

Post by benjie1 »

zerozero wrote:benjie1,
if those instructions are confusing probably the best is not to follow them, if you don't know what you're doing don't!

in that post, protesmoteus is instructing you to add a repo from a different distro, following completely different packages version (meaning that things can work luckily or can break your install).

there's people doing that, but those know what they are doing and how to do it.
it's up to you.

I am confused and did not ry what protesmotues said, although I was going to do it but backed off. What you said makes sense. But still the question is how can I get the latest wine installed in LMDE, update4, and Cinnamon desktop. Hope it can be cone fairly easily. Thanks. Bob

Anyone got a way for a newbie to get and install latest wine (v 1.4 or 1.5) The ideas above with 16 to 18 files didn't work. Have update4 and cinnamon on LMDE. Thanks again. Bob
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

how do you install manually from here
http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

i see there are several amd64 deb files. should i install all of them? :?
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

You only need to install these three packages to get Wine up and running:

libwine-unstable
libwine-bin-unstable
wine-bin-unstable

Put the downloaded packages together in a folder. Right-click on the folder icon and select Open Terminal Here, then in the terminal, enter:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Deciding which other packages to install will depend on what facilities you want available in Wine. For example, if you want audio, install libwine-alsa-unstable, and so on.

Return to “LMDE Archive”