Cinnamon's memory usage

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Forkjulle

Cinnamon's memory usage

Post by Forkjulle »

Compiz tends to hog memory, but Cinnamon seems to use quite a bit too. Unless I'm wrong.

Does this look about right? (Cinnamon in 2nd spot.)

Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon's memory usage

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Mine is not that memory hungry:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I've done a pull request to fix a small memory leak, but there are probably more memory leaks left.

By the way 78MB is also way too much. It should be possible to get 40 to 60 MB memory usage.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

is that smaller or bigger than a default gnome-shell? there hasn't been much publicized data about the memory performance of cinnamon (in comparison to gnome-shell, gnome 2 and maté)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

The same machine running Gnome-shell:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That's presumably still Mint's default Gnome 3.2.1. A lot of memory leaks have been fixed since then. Mint 13 will have Gnome 3.4 which is probably a better comparison.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Same machine running Gnome-classic (3.2.1, same as the other captures):
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

My Cinnamon is running at 43 MiB. On the same machine Gnome Shell runs at about 39 MiB, and Gnome Fallback runs at 10.4 MiB.

Note: I say about for Gnome Shell because it fluctuates around 39 MiB.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you are counting Gnome classic or 2 memory usage you also have to count gnome-sound-applet, metacity and probably more things which are a seperate process on gnome 2 or classic but integrated in shell/cinnamon. Just gnome-panel isn't really a fair comparison.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

AlbertP wrote:If you are counting Gnome classic or 2 memory usage you also have to count gnome-sound-applet, metacity and probably more things which are a seperate process on gnome 2 or classic but integrated in shell/cinnamon. Just gnome-panel isn't really a fair comparison.
You're right. And even worse, I run gnome classic with compiz and I'm not counting compiz, so it would probably be a lot more. I'm impressed by Cinnamon's low memory usage, though.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

cwwgateway wrote:My Cinnamon is running at 43 MiB.
When I start LM12 I have about the same memory usage.

But after an uptime of only 1.5 days it's at 395 MB
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

Kelley_Green wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:My Cinnamon is running at 43 MiB.
When I start LM12 I have about the same memory usage.

But after an uptime of only 1.5 days it's at 395 MB
Now it's up to 627.3 MiB after 4+ days.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

AlbertP wrote:I've done a pull request to fix a small memory leak, but there are probably more memory leaks left.

By the way 78MB is also way too much. It should be possible to get 40 to 60 MB memory usage.
Well, this is LMDE "live" 64bits with Cinnamon desktop (yes, iso images are out):

And this is LMDE "live" 32bits with Cinnamon too:

Being live images you can be sure this represents the system in its most pristine state, even though, under 64bits with an pretty new kernel (3.2), newer xorg, drivers, etc, there is no significant difference with my actual LM12 Cinnamon installation.

But there's something for sure: Cinnamon and Gnome3 are pointers hell (from the processor's perspective). The 64 bits versions almost doubles the memory usage of the 32 bits ones (take Nautilus as reference).
ramartz

Post by ramartz »

I just notice now that I have the same issue also, I'm running LM12 on Dell Inspiron N7010.
I think more uptime hours makes the memory usage grow even bigger; could be a general memory leak issue?
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

More up-time hours definitely makes the memory usage grow bigger.
Is anyone working on this?
Is there a way to restart Cinnamon, without restarting the PC, to reset Cinnamon back to lower memory usage?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Kelley_Green wrote:"(...) Is there a way to restart Cinnamon, without restarting the PC, to reset Cinnamon back to lower memory usage?
Of course, just look at Cinnamon's settings applet.

This is before restarting Cinnamon:

And this is after restarting it:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Kelley_Green wrote:Is there a way to restart Cinnamon, without restarting the PC, to reset Cinnamon back to lower memory usage?
Press Alt-F2, type r in the box, and press Enter. That restarts cinnamon (and yes it works for Gnome Shell as well).
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

AlbertP wrote:
Kelley_Green wrote:Is there a way to restart Cinnamon, without restarting the PC, to reset Cinnamon back to lower memory usage?
Press Alt-F2, type r in the box, and press Enter. That restarts cinnamon (and yes it works for Gnome Shell as well).
Thanks!
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

That is a pretty nasty memory leak or group of. I noticed it before I would start my machine up around 600 MiB total memory usuage in no time it would be up above 1 Gb. Are these issues being addressed? There aren't really any places to check Cinnamon development and changelogs a really minimal from a techincal standpoint.

Return to “Cinnamon”