Live-DVD works perfectly, installed system doesn't boot up

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
duebelmann

Live-DVD works perfectly, installed system doesn't boot up

Post by duebelmann »

Hello,

I have just downloaded the latest LMDE 64-bit Live-DVD. The live systems boots up just fine, I even got to work WiFi in a very short time, all my hardware seems to be compatible and is being recognized. So I decided to install it to my SSD hard drive. I closely followed those directions in order to do that right: http://helpsite.org/linux-mint-debian-edition/. However, after the installation process finished "successfully", I restarted my system, and that's when strange things started to happen: At first it seems like my system is trying to perform network booting, and then it just says "Operating System not found."

So I started the Live-DVD again and noticed that everything is availible: Each partition and everything. I. e. my user account has obviously been created since its in the /home partition. So I started googleing and found this fellow's post, who seems to have the exact same problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=82795 He is being told that he needs to install grub-efi afterwards.

Now, I have two questions: Is this applicable to my problem? I can switch from UEFI to Legacy mode and it makes no difference. And secondly, if applicable, how do I do that? I have tried to find a solution for that, but I couldn't find anything on LMDE.

I'd really appreciate any kind of help.

Best regards,
duebelmann

EDIT: Before I forget: I am working on a ThinkPad X121e (the i3 configuration). And I found that on the arch linux wiki: "Some of the known x86_64 UEFI 2.x firmwares are Phoenix SecureCore Tiano, AMI Aptio, Insyde H2O." -> I got the Phoenix one...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Live-DVD works perfectly, installed system doesn't boot

Post by äxl »

I'm no expert and I don't know if the new grub will help but maybe the use of "chroot" is called for.

You should boot from live DVD/CD and install the mentioned grub in your system.
duebelmann

Post by duebelmann »

Okay, I'll try that. In order to do that I looked for a tutorial on how to do this from a live system and this is what I found: http://www.webtechquery.com/index.php/2 ... m-live-cd/ Now this is only about installing regular grub. As far as I know, I need to install grub-efi-amd64. Can I still use it, simply replacing "grub" with "grub-efi-amd64"?
I also would like to know how to fix the following error when I try to run "sudo apt-get install -t unstable grub-efi-amd64":
"E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"
I know that I have to edit the soures list, but it seems like I can't while working on a live system.
äxl

Post by äxl »

duebelmann wrote:Okay, I'll try that. In order to do that I looked for a tutorial on how to do this from a live system and this is what I found: http://www.webtechquery.com/index.php/2 ... m-live-cd/ Now this is only about installing regular grub. As far as I know, I need to install grub-efi-amd64. Can I still use it, simply replacing "grub" with "grub-efi-amd64"?
As I said I'm no expert but it seems like you could use it like regular grub.
"This package contains a version of GRUB that has been built for use with EFI-AMD64 architecture ..."
It removes grub-pc when trying to install.

But first you should maybe look into "grub2efi". Originally for Mac this might help ...
I also would like to know how to fix the following error when I try to run "sudo apt-get install -t unstable grub-efi-amd64":
"E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"
I know that I have to edit the soures list, but it seems like I can't while working on a live system.
Adding sources to a live system is as far as I've read not possible. When you've made yourself familiar with chroot you could always build your own live system.

- - -
edit: Maybe it's enough to download the package and the dependencies and install them then.

Code: Select all

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  grub-pc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  efibootmgr grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin
duebelmann

Post by duebelmann »

Thank you for your replies. I have been trying to solve my problem, and here's what I did:
- I started LMDE-Live once again.
- I started GParted formatted sda1 to fat32, labled it "BOOT" abd flagged it "boot". The rest of my disk looks like that:

/dev/sda2/ ext4 / (root)
/dev/sda3/ linux-swap
/dev/sda4 ext4 /home
- Then I managed to add

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
to my souces.list and deleted

http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest
, since it seemed that I couldn't etablish a connection to that.
- Then I tried to run

# apt-get install grub-efi-amd64
This looked like it would work, but then I got the following error:

Replacing config file /etc/default/grub with new version
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
dpkg: error processing grub-efi-amd64 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 grub-efi-amd64
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
- I ignored the error since I couldn't figure out what it was about. So I did this:

# mkdir /boot/efi
# mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi
# mkdir -p /boot/efi/EFI
# modprobe dm-mod
# grub-install --root-directory=/boot/efi/EFI --no-floppy --recheck
# cp /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 /boot/efi/EFI/grub
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/grub/grub.cfg
- When I tried to run # grub-mkconfig I once again got an error which seems familiar ;)

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
I once again didn't know what was wrong...

When my computer tries to boot now, there's no "Operating System not found." - Now I get "Welcome to GRUB! error: unknown filesystem" I'd be very thankful for help since I start to loose faith that I'll make LMDE work on my X121e...

Best regards,
duebelmann
äxl

Post by äxl »

This becomes more of a Linux advanced thread ...
duebelmann wrote:/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
Did you follow the tutorial in your link?
A quick search for that indicates you have to bind /dev (and more).

Return to “LMDE Archive”