No updates?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
oldrong

Re: No updates?

Post by oldrong »

I would advise against try ANY upgrades. My system tried it, most repositories failed, my system was messed up in total, and I have been at it 6 hours trying to get the mess fixed. Now at all worth it IMO. Best wait until someone decides to correct all the issues. I'll wait from now on for about a MONTH before even trying! What a holy mess.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

oldrong wrote:I would advise against try ANY upgrades. My system tried it, most repositories failed, my system was messed up in total, and I have been at it 6 hours trying to get the mess fixed. Now at all worth it IMO. Best wait until someone decides to correct all the issues. I'll wait from now on for about a MONTH before even trying! What a holy mess.
Don't forget about backups and images! Clonezilla is my favorite, but it doesn't matter as long as you have something that works. Good luck!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zoof wrote:I have LMDE Xfce installed so why does it want to install Mate? I admittedly have not tried Mate but I nevertheless feel pretty certain that I don't want it.
i guess only you can answer that, probably some pkg or app you installed before that now is pulling mate as dependency. the best now is to accept it and later (if you don't want mate) purge it using synaptic (but with care watching the removals it will do altogether)
oldrong wrote:I would advise against try ANY upgrades. My system tried it, most repositories failed, my system was messed up in total, [...]
well, you are answering your own problem: why did you upgrade if most repositories failed?
oldrong

Post by oldrong »

Since I didn't create "update manager" and it pretty much does what it want's how do you hold me responsible for the issues? I simple run the thing. I didn't program it, or have ANY part in it's creation, now did I? I guess we are all supposed to be gurus in Linux before we attempt to run LMDE. Maybe it should be stated that way before allowing the download of it. Scheech. Thanks for the "friendly help".
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

oldrong wrote:Since I didn't create "update manager" and it pretty much does what it want's how do you hold me responsible for the issues? I simple run the thing. I didn't program it, or have ANY part in it's creation, now did I? I guess we are all supposed to be gurus in Linux before we attempt to run LMDE. Maybe it should be stated that way before allowing the download of it. Scheech. Thanks for the "friendly help".
I've found that until there is a new MUD announced, it's best for me to just change to the Debian testing repos, and go to a terminal and "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" but NOT "apt-get dist-upgrade" because everytime I do a dist-upgrade, things go Kaplooey, and I have to reinstall. Just upgrading keeps me current with Debian Testing until Clem has time to do the upgrades on the Mint Up Dater ;>), I try to give him some slack since he's trying to oversee two different projects at the same time: LM (based on*buntu) and LMDE (based on Debian Testing). HTHs
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

we have UP4 out (with over a 1000pkgs worth of updates :) ) so, obviously this topic makes no sense as-is.

if you have specific issues, please open specific topics in the specific area of the forum.

Thank you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”