GDK Failures - Hulu Desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rikeshar

GDK Failures - Hulu Desktop

Post by rikeshar »

Hey everyone, I'm trying to run Hulu Desktop on Mint 12, and this is what I see when I try to run it from the terminal:

Code: Select all

huludesktop:2368): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_new(): parent is destroyed

(huludesktop:2368): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(huludesktop:2368): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(huludesktop:2368): Gdk-WARNING **: /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.6/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.c:952 drawable is not a pixmap or window

(huludesktop:2368): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault
It gave me this message on Ubuntu 11.10 as well, and I was hoping Mint 12 would resolve, but no go. I originally installed it on Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked fine on that, and 11.04, but started freezing on 11.10. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and that's when I started getting this message. Any ideas what it could be? If I try to run it from the applications menu nothing happens at all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
metamorphousthe
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GDK Failures - Hulu Desktop

Post by metamorphousthe »

I also HAD the same problem (READ BELOW) running huludesktop from LM 12 MATE. I have yet to try it in any other DE. It works fine in my LM9 GNOME. All the wiki I can find say to point ~/.huludesktop to the libflashplayer.so file which is the error I get when trying to run HuluDesktop app as the popup window below shows the error message ...

Hulu Desktop could not locate the Flash plugin.

If you already have it installed, please modify ~/.huludesktop with the correct location of libflashplayer.so.

However, there is no /.huludesktop folder in my home folder (showing hidden files/folders), nor in any other area (that I can find) in my file system.

Default flash IS installed installed in a few places in my OS including /etc/alternatives but nothing to point it to with.

When trying to run huludesktop in terminal, I get no results except the popup window error.

BTW, HuluDesktop runs fine in LM9 and also does NOT have a /.huludesktop folder

Post Script: While typing this I decided to compare my LM9 flash installs (in Synaptic) with my L12 installs. I decided t match my flash installs in 12 wit what was in 9, since huludesktop worked in 9.

I did this and now huludesktop works ...

While choosing ONLY (to match 9)
flashplugin-downloader
flashplugin-installer

The results were:
To Be Installed:
flasplugin-downloader
flashplugin-installer
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
libnspr4-0d

To Be Removed:
mint-flashplugin

Again, huludesktop now works n 12
metamorphousthe
"It's all about change"
NorahAura

Post by NorahAura »

I found these steps to work:

From terminal, install flashplayer-downloader (it will also install flashplayer-installer and remove other adobe flash installs):

sudo apt-get install flashplayer-downloader
Install huludesktop, if not already installed, via the hulu desktop download page

Run huludesktop, agree to terms.

Lastly, open ~/.huludesktop:

gksu gedit ~/.huludesktop
Edit the following line and point to mint flash install

flash_location = /opt/mint-flashplugin-11/libflashplayer.so
Hope this helps a few lost souls :)
bobl57

Post by bobl57 »

:D sometimes it is that simple to fix...just can't stop optimizing mint...THANKS!!!

Return to “Sound”