Level 4

Cinnamon Problem after UP4

Post by malligt »

LMDE Cinnamon.png
Here (above) is Cinnamon/Places on LMDE

and
Cinnamon Menu Mint 12.png
Here (above) is Cinnamon/Places on Mint 12

The problem is that when you click Cinnamon/ Places in LMDE, nothing happens.

Anybody know how to fix this? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon Problem after UP4

Post by darco »

Doesnt work for me either. Also I cant move the panel to the top.
I prefer Cinnamon over G3

**nm...i didnt restart Cinnamon, once I did it was fine (the panel)**
yooman

Post by yooman »

@malligt,

This isn't a fix, but just some potentially helpful information about what's really going on:

on my machine, when i click Cinnamon Menu > Places, I see one single place "Dropbox". I've bookmarked my Dropbox directory in Nautilus (highlighted it and clicked Bookmarks -> Add Bookmark, which pins it to the left panel of Nautilus). So it would seem that "Places" isn't displaying nothing, rather it's displaying the Nautilus bookmarks.

FWIW.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Thank you for your reply, but this is not the case with the cinnamon installs I previously ourlined.

Cinnamon Debian UP4, and Cinnamon Mint 12: in my experience:

Dropbox is properly installed in " Menu /Internet" with a shortcut in the lower right corner....

Menu / Places in Cinnamon LMDE UP4 is blank....no default shortcuts to Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Downloads.

And while I think about it, has this been fixed on the new RC that was just released?
If not, it should be added to the list to repair before the "final" release comes out. Thanks!

Edited for grammar and spelling,
äxl

Post by äxl »

Is mintmenu properly installed?
Maybe you could look into Cinnamon Settings or more advanced Configuration Editor (gconf-editor) or dconf-editor referencing Places.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Please remember how this post originated:

"Cinnamon problem after UP4 was installed".
I had been using Debian with the UP3 previously.

On another pc of mine, I have Mint 12 gnome, 32 bit, with the cinnamon desktop. So I just compared the 2 in my original post.

Am I sure Mint menu installed properly? I think yes, but how would I know differently? Everything else on mint menu (after UP4) is in the right place, and seems to work properly.
Maybe you could look into Cinnamon Settings or more advanced Configuration Editor (gconf-editor) or dconf-editor referencing Places.
I don't know where to look, or how to begin. FWIW: I did look around Cinnamon Settings, but didn't see anything there that would pop in these shortcuts.

I have not played with the RC, as I have been traveling. I just wondered if anybody out there has played around with the RC, and could report back if LMDE 201204 RC Cinnamon / Places was properly installed along with the short cuts ( that are missing in the original photo at top).

Thanks!
äxl

Post by äxl »

malligt wrote:Am I sure Mint menu installed properly? I think yes, but how would I know differently?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintmenu
Or maybe the new version (5.3.2) fixes your problems.
I don't know where to look, or how to begin.

Code: Select all

gconftool -a /apps/mintMenu/plugins/places
I have not played with the RC, as I have been traveling. I just wondered if anybody out there has played around with the RC, and could report back if LMDE 201204 RC Cinnamon / Places was properly installed along with the short cuts ( that are missing in the original photo at top).
It's working for me in Cinnamon using LMDE 201109 ISO and UP4. The only problem I can remember were the GTK-Bookmarks which I subsequently disabled.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

I have just looked at the 201204 RC 64 bit Mate+Cinnamon, run as a LIVE USB.

I am saddened to report to you that Cinnamon / Places in the RC does not have the shortcuts installed by default for Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Downloads.

Edited for grammar.

Return to “LMDE Archive”