Adding items to Mint's master menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Adding items to Mint's master menu

Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi again. Most items which I install to Mint's master menu (the one which shows up in every window manager I use) add their own entries to the menu, but there are some which don't, like Seamonkey, or even
don't have packages you can install from the repositories so you have to do the whole installation manually. I use SoftMaker Office 2008, for example.

What's the best way of adding items manually to the master menu so that they show up in each window manager I use in Mint (and where is the master menu; that would be a start), please?

Thanks in advance,

CP .

P.S. Mint 12 LXDE seems to run more easily on my old machine than Mint 11 did. Thanks for a good job of work guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Adding items to Mint's master menu

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

There isn't one SINGLE menu editor for ALL WMs and DEs if that is what you want, sorry to disappoint you.
If you have LXDE, you need to install LXMED(LXDE Menu Editor); if you have Openbox, you need to install Obmenu; if you have Gnome, you need to use Alacarte (it comes by default). I don't know what the menu editors for Xfce and KDE are, but I'd say they can be found easily enough.

Applications' shortcuts are in /usr/share/applications
Hope that helps.
minties

Post by minties »

I am using Mint 12 which uses Gnome 3, but the solution might also work for your version of Mint.

In software manager, install "alacarte", which allows you to add items to the menu. Then click on Menu > Other > Main Menu, and this will take you to a screen where you can add items to the menu.

http://www.howtogeek.com/105828/add-and ... x-mint-12/

Good luck.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

What's the best way of adding items manually to the master menu...
http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#9 See Sections 9-11 for Main Menu, etc, and Section 3 for the Openbox menu.

Return to “Software & Applications”