Some issues after complete update pack 4

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fdbozzo

Some issues after complete update pack 4

Post by fdbozzo »

Well, I could finally finish updating all ... and I'm not entirely happy with the upgrade.

I discuss the problems I saw so far:
- Due to the large number of connection cutsbecause server saturation (not Mint's fault), it took me 2 days, on which I does not shut off the computer because there was partial updates and several times I had to do apt-get update / apt -get upgrade and using the variant --fix-missing
- Once I downloaded all (more than 1800 packages in my case), the system asked several times if I wanted to replace the system configuration files or what to do (cups.ini, php.ini, etc.). It is not easy to answer this and if the comparison is not made with meld or the like is very difficult. Impossible for anyone just getting started in Linux and that will surely leave everything default (old configs)
- I tried both desktops (MATE / Gnome3 + Cinnamon) for a while, and this is what I saw:

Cinnamon:
- Although this is what GNome3 lacks (and I like it), in my case there was few hungs and restarted from time to time
- If I pass the mouse over the menu options of Cinnamon and then want to use the search box on top, I can't, it is blocked. I can search only if I open the menu and go directly to the search box. Navigating the options blocks the search, even if no click on choices are made.
- All GNome3 environment uses too many resources. I have an AMD 3Ghz A8 (4 cores) and 16 GB ram, and only the effects of GNOME 3 ate one of the cores to "paint and refresh" the screen. (Try to have a window maximized and HTOP above and move it from the title ...)
- GNome3 has a nice design, but I can't minimize windows with a minimize-button and having to go to the upper-left (I know, on the title can be used right-click and then "minimize", but the window disappears and is not displayed in the window list)
- Definitely do not like not being able to put my shortcuts on the status bar. It makes me more productive.

MATE:
- Is Gnome2 (as expected), much more stable than 3 and consumes far fewer resources (do same test HTOP + move a window).
- You do not have *all* the stability of GNOME2, found some bugs that were not in Gnome2. For example, use the System Monitor applet embedded in the top status bar, and resize the window open, and a ghost image appears distorted leaving the status bar below! (I use 2 status bars) and goes under the window itself (I went with this program only for now)
- Yet I could not run Compiz effects, which is lighter than GNome3
- I see some "little problems" with sudo authentication when launching some programs setup, I'm not allowed to save the password for never asking again (only certain configs.)
- The sound setup no longer shows me the tabbed configuration screens that before (there where a "Hardware" tab where I could choose between Intel and HDMI outputs), and now I get a screen that look like 10 years ago with a single tab and a dropbox ... horrible. Something have misconfigured, although the sound works ok.

My daughter wants to switch from Ubuntu to Mint, but I said her she wait a few weeks until the CD with the pack 4 is out, so she do a full install.

My first experience with a rolling release is not like I expected, although at least the system works. I'm be looking for help in the forums to begin the repairs.

Still, I want to thank the great team effort with this release of Mint, and I hope my comments are useful.

Greetings. -
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Some issues after complete update pack 4

Post by gorade »

Me too tried apt-get updat and apt-get upgrade. Some 1500 files. Afterwards the program coudn't start. It hanged and the screen remained black.
I had to restore from a program backup.

Mintupdate doesn't work at all. It seems to download the files but when it is about to install them, mintupdate closes.

I don't know what goes wrong. I tried excluding the usual culprits gstreamer bad and ugly, but that made no difference.

Let's hope that after the hollidays things will be resolved.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

First off, in the Cinnamon section I think you started talking about gnome 3 proper because there is both a minimize button and the ability to drag icons to the panel in Cinnamon. Also, you can search when you pass over the menu items, or at least I can. Also, Cinnamon is still not considered a complete release (it was never officially changed from an alpha version, although that kind of changed without saying, so it's probably more like a beta). MATE is still kind of buggy because a lot of libraries and tools had to be renamed and changed to become compatible with gnome 3. I don't know how technically advanced your daughter is, but the Ubuntu version of Mint is still the flagship release and it is more user friendly than the Debian version. Rolling releases are, by definition, more unstable than "frozen" releases. The CD is probably going to be better (it's hard to predict problems with update packs, and one person might have selected a different thing than the other). As for the upgrade process, I hate it. I am pretty technically astute and I can't make heads or tails of configuration files. However, LMDE still isn't declared ready for mainstream adoption.
maxic

Post by maxic »

After update from UP3 to UP4 all shared printers asked to authentification. Can't solve this issue.
dpkg-reconfigure causes message 'dpkg-maintscript-helper: error: couldn't identify the package'.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

My daughter wants to switch from Ubuntu to Mint, but I said her she wait a few weeks until the CD with the pack 4 is out, so she do a full install.
Why don't give the main edition or the kde edition a try?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
fdbozzo

Post by fdbozzo »

Because she have a Zotac ZBOX ID11 with Intel Atom D510, and KDE (and now GNOME 3) are resurce intensive. I'm thinking in LMDE with MATE DE, thats what I have now, GNome 2/MATE works well in this machines. I'm evaluating LMDE XFCE too, but it requires more tweak to setup, and I don't want to make her life hard.
She born in 2000 between Ubuntu PC's, and almost don't know Windows, except by comments :)
maxic

Post by maxic »

Return back samba 3.5.11 and printers work again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”