UP4 Problem [ SOLVED ]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

UP4 Problem [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi,

I got home last night and did the UP4 upgrade the problem is now that it only boots up in a shell. Cinnamon is installed but when I try to run it all I get is

windows manager error: unable to open X display.

I have no idea how you run any programs from a shell as I have only ever used a desktop environment to launch the programs that I want to use. I am on windows xp to post this, luckily i have install a dual boot on my pc so that I can at try and solve problems.

I have tried in the past to switch to UP4 before its official release and thought that I was doing something wrong so waited for the official release but it is just the same

any help please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: UP4 Problem

Post by äxl »

Could you please post the output of:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi äxl,

as requested he is the output from the command that you requested:-

no such file or directory.

I assumed that the x in Xlog was upper case and that the o was an upper case O not a zero 0.

having just typed this in I now see that It was in fact a zero will run again :D

edit

just the same output:- no such file or directory :D
äxl

Post by äxl »

Just copy and paste please.

Or are you on WinXP now?
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi äxl,

yes I am on windows XP. I cant get to use LMDE at the moment so can't copy and paste :D
äxl

Post by äxl »

Can you mount the filesystem of Mint and look for the file?
I guess you need at least an ext4 driver for Windows though.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi äxl,

sorry cant do anything through windows as it wont find Linux at all. tried a live cd up3 but that would only go as far as opening the file stream. I did however spot that there was a folder or such called cat but could not get any further. I tried to sign onto my account on the live cd but it wouldn't let me for some reason or other so am back on windows :D
äxl

Post by äxl »

Dar-es-Salaam wrote:Hi äxl,

sorry cant do anything through windows as it wont find Linux at all. tried a live cd up3 but that would only go as far as opening the file stream. I did however spot that there was a folder or such called cat but could not get any further. I tried to sign onto my account on the live cd but it wouldn't let me for some reason or other so am back on windows :D
ext2fsd (http://www.ext2fsd.com/) seems to be the right thing for Windows if you want to look for files.

cat is a program. But you only need to open the folder /var/log and look at the file Xorg.0.log

(From a live CD maybe you could also try to "chroot" into your Mint. Search for "chroot recovery".)
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi äxl,

Got there in the end I did find what you were looking for here it is

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8018 apr 10 12:26 Xorg.0.log.

I couldn't get it to list what was inside it though. I tried type as in windows that did not work, I also tried ls --help but it scrolled straight of the top of my screen and I couldn't figure out how to get it to scroll up by a screen height I will learn one day though :D

Hope that's what you wanted
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

using UP4, the usual suspects appear

using XFCE
conf.d resets itself thus you have to manually enable the touchpad.
the desktop now tried to be a gnome look alike when it is XFCE, so weird and I can't even change the wallpaper.

Still I will stick with LMDE knowing the issues can be resolved, not now but sometime in the near future.
äxl

Post by äxl »

Anyway.

Gordon, what I wanted was the content of Xorg.0.log ;)
Did you install ext2fsd or did you chroot?
ls --help is the help of list and ls will only list folder contents.

I don't know a thing about ext2fsd but if you have mounted the Mint filesystem type may work with

Code: Select all

type "F:\var\lib\Xorg.0.log"
(replace F: with the actual volume and also try without quotation marks)
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi äxl,

I had second thoughts about that and thought that you might want the content but no matter what I try I cant get at it.

I have tried via windows XP but it wont look at it and I have no idea how to install ext2fsd without messing up XP ( the wife would do her nut if I did that ).
it does boot up to a screen which lets me log in as root or home or gordon and then ends up with the command line. I have tried in all three places to get to the content but with no luck, all it keeps saying is that it can't run the display or words to that effect.

I assume from my comments that you realize that I am a complete dummy when it comes to the workings of either os but I do know a bit more about XP ( not much ) :D I am learning more about LINUX though slowly. :D
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi äxl,

Problem solved. I suddenly remembered that I had tried something out on a previous occasion which had been suggested by viking777 and that was to use sgfxi so I went through my blogs and found the answer to a previous question and ran the command and thankfully it worked so we are now back on track. :D said I was slowly learning :D

Thanks for all your help. very much appreciated :D :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”