ATI PROPRIETARY DRIVER ISSUES SOLVED!!!!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
latinomanz

ATI PROPRIETARY DRIVER ISSUES SOLVED!!!!

Post by latinomanz »

Hello,

After searching for a solution to the ATI proprietary driver's problems on google and forums and finding nothing, I decided to try my own solution, The problem seems to be caused by a drivers conflict between the X.org drivers that are installed by default with Linux Mint and the proprietary drivers. After installing the proprietary drivers, I noticed that the X.org drivers were still there, so I knew there had to be a conflict there, therefore this is what I did to fix it:

- Fresh install of llinux mint.
- Uninstall the X.org drivers by opening synaptics and typing in radeon and then marking the X.org drivers for a complete removal.
- Reboot.
- Install ATI PROPRIETARY drivers by double clicking and following the wizard.. (optional, try first without this, if it does not work, then rep
- Reboot.

If the above steps do not work you might try running - sudo aticonfig --initial by booting onto a command line option or you might purge the fglrx or format linux and repeat the above steps and run - sudo aticonfig --initial before rebooting the last time, just right after the installation of of the drivers.

After this, the mouse does not get stuck anymore in the lower right corner, no more gnome 3 crashes and better performance than Windows 7, it runs smoothly and wonderfully.

So, let me know what you think people!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
photophobe

Re: ATI PROPRIETARY DRIVER ISSUES SOLVED!!!!

Post by photophobe »

Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to wipe, reinstall, and reconfigure my whole system just to find out it's not worth it.
myro

R: ATI PROPRIETARY DRIVER ISSUES SOLVED!!!!

Post by myro »

I can confirm this.
If radeon and fglrx drivers are both installed, you will run into glx problems. Blacklisting the Radeon driver didnt work.
Only after compleatly removing one driver, the other one runed perfectly.

- sent from my android
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Hi,

I just tried it in an old machine of mine, it works too, just wipe out everything and uninstall the X.org drivers from Synaptics as I showed you before and install the proprietary drivers (I am using 12.2).

Now Linux runs better than Windows ;-)
sovesky

Post by sovesky »

Doesn't work with me. I'm still having constant glitches and ocasional system freezes. :(

Samsung R540 - ATI Radeon HD4570 - Linux mint 12 32bits
Teufel9000

Post by Teufel9000 »

ima try this on LM12 when i get home.
i got a Radeon 5770.

list your specs if it does solve your issues. or doesnt.
El_Gigantor

Post by El_Gigantor »

i always had problems with my Radeon HD 6770m on Mint or Ubuntu. i decided to give it another go and it worked.

this time i did a clean install WITHOUT network enablled. once logged in, instead of activating the "Restricted video card drivers" i enabled my wifi and downloaded the drivers from the ATI site, then installed them, rebooted ,ran the system update rebooted and POW!!! no more Black Screen during start up and for the past 3 days i have not had any issues.

hope this helps...
neonflx

Post by neonflx »

this still doesn't address the dual monitor issues, i can get one monitor to work fine as soon as I connect my second monitor, it's impossible to read the screen, no there is nothing wrong with the monitor, as long as i keep the fglrx drivers provided by the default installation both monitors work ok, just annoying!!
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Have you tried going into the catalyst control center and telling it what to do with the second monitor, either duplicating whats on monitor 1 or showing only monitor 2?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

latinomanz wrote:- Fresh install of llinux mint.
- Uninstall the X.org drivers by opening synaptics and typing in radeon and then marking the X.org drivers for a complete removal.
- Reboot.
- Install ATI PROPRIETARY drivers by double clicking and following the wizard.
- Reboot.
Thank you for the idea. I had no end of trouble getting the AMD proprietary driver to work with Mint 14 Cinnamon. I was getting multiple panels and and multiple copies of panel applets. I had to put the shears through my hair so I wouldn't pull it out, a very frustrating experience. In the end I did this:

Start synaptic package manager
Uninstall xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-video-ati
Reboot
Start synaptic package manager
Install fglrx-amdcccle-updates
Reboot
I have dual monitors and monitor 0 was under-scanning so in a terminal session I did this:
$ sudo aticonfig --initial
$ sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

Sweet as. I repeated my steps in case it helps someone else. Again, thank you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Hardware Support”