Alt-tab freezes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kli6891

Alt-tab freezes

Post by kli6891 »

(Linux mint 12, 64 bit)

Sometimes, when I alt-tab, the window changer remains in place. All the applications freeze too, sometimes, though some part of the GUI still remains responsive (e.g. I can right click on desktop and get a menu, but apps are unresponsive to clicking).

I tried enable/disabling Alt Tab shell extension but problem persists.

Anyone else having this issue?
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karolbe

Re: Alt-tab freezes

Post by karolbe »

Again it is most probably this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/889706

@Mint Team, please look into this! This is getting serious issue, I was even thinking about going back to KDE ;-)

Karol
enmanuelr

Post by enmanuelr »

I made an account just to comment on this thread.

This is happening to me constantly. It's utterly irritating and sending my workflow down the drain. After years, ALT+TAB is a twitch reaction. It's impossible not to do it.

I may need to go back to windows or until this is fixed. PLEASE look into this. It pretty much makes the OS unusable.
mcflynn

Post by mcflynn »

+1, also just created an account to comment here. I've had to restart Gnome (Alt-F2, r, enter) 3 times this evening. This is a huge annoyance.
NikLP

Post by NikLP »

Still a problem for me, ditto the above guy. Very annoying. Also, can't even do the gnome restart trick :(
classic

Post by classic »

I love Linux Mint 12 , but I have the same problem and it's HIGHLY annoying. The only remedy is to ctrl-backspace...it's a distro killer imo.

On another note, do these forums run on Windows Vista? Slowest forums on the net...
twowatches

Post by twowatches »

Same for me. It's a show stopper which is a real shame because apart from that I'm having a remarkably pleasant linux experience!
L0j1k

Post by L0j1k »

I have also created an account specifically to add another voice to the pot for this issue.

I gotta say, Linux Mint 12 was so damn IMPRESSIVE when I fired it up, after getting so mad at Ubuntu 12.04 that I threw a book at my office door and put a hole in it accidentally. I try to keep the most "wannabe Windows" distro loaded up on one of my machines for work, otherwise I go with Sabayon or CrunchBang or CentOS.

This is rediculous. It needs to be addressed. I'll give this issue another two days or so. However, if I can't summon an answer or even a little hack (without disabling compiz/gnome effects), I'm moving on to another distro and recommending AGAINST Linux Mint 12. You guys have a real opportunity here to steal the Ubuntu fallout market while Canonical tests their crappy tablet OS on Ubuntu's userbase. It just sucks that the most basic rule of a great operating system is being broken by both Ubuntu AND Linux Mint. That rule, by the way, is "Don't get in the way of my work".
zyce

Post by zyce »

This is just absolutely terrible. Luckily, you can hit escape to unlock the Alt-Tab failure.

There is a prompt that appears on first alt-tab (I believe) that asks for your expected behavior. I have not figured out how to call this option again.

Please someone come in for a fix, I just spent an hour recovering my account and logging in to post this. I'm off to Pinguy OS at end of May with this crap still going on. *sigh*

Love you guys, great distro. Please help us out!
verdantlylustrous

Post by verdantlylustrous »

Alt-tab caused my pc to freeze too. I am using Linux Mint 13 Maya, and Classic Gnome.

The workaround which worked for me is as follows.

Open up a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins compizconfig-settings-manager
Open the composite-manager with

ccsm
Go to "Window Management" and
- uncheck "Application Switcher"
- check "Static Application Switcher"

It was the "Application switcher" which was causing the problems for me, the "Static Application Switcher" works fine. Although it's less fancy, it did get my system working again.
cacus

Post by cacus »

verdantlylustrous wrote:Alt-tab caused my pc to freeze too. I am using Linux Mint 13 Maya, and Classic Gnome.

The workaround which worked for me is as follows.

Open up a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins compizconfig-settings-manager
Open the composite-manager with

ccsm
Go to "Window Management" and
- uncheck "Application Switcher"
- check "Static Application Switcher"

It was the "Application switcher" which was causing the problems for me, the "Static Application Switcher" works fine. Although it's less fancy, it did get my system working again.

Im using MATE session and this solution is not working for me.

Instead i SOLVED the ALT-TAB freeze problem by disabling ALT-TAB thumbnails. Control Center -> Windows -> "Disable Thumbnails in Alt-Tab"

Good luck!

Return to “Software & Applications”