Mint 10 isn't supported anymore

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Mint 10 isn't supported anymore

Post by cwwgateway »

This is more of a note to people, but Ubuntu 10.10 (and therefore Mint 10) lost support on the 10th (of april). It won't get updates anymore, so it's probably time to move to Linux Mint 11 (which still has gnome 2), Linux Mint 12, Linux Mint 9 LTS (which also has gnome 2), LMDE, or something else.

Edit: Mint might support Mint 10 until the end of april (that's what it says on the download page). This is the first edition that's lost support since I've been using linux in general, so I'm not sure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mint 10 isn't supported anymore

Post by Monsta »

Yeah, my friend's Ubuntu 10.10 informed him about that. Now I'm curious about Mint 10 - does it notify users too, or will they be unaware of that unless they read this thread (and Mint website)? :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

Correct. Ubuntu 10.10 is no longer supported since 10.10 is a "6-month release" version which is supported for 6 months. This means that every non-LTS version of Mint is also no longer supported. Only LTS versions will be supported for 3 years (desktop) and 5 years (server). Every other version will be supported for 6 months. This is the major flaw of Ubuntu / Mint, the quick succession of releases. As a result, too little time spent developing the product so well there are too many bugs in the final product. Would more time be devoted to developing the right product, then Ubuntu / Mint would be much stable and more reliable.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

nomko wrote:supported for 6 months
Please don't mislead people, it's 18 months, not 6. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ub ... f_versions
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Yeah, Mint 10 was supported from October 10, 2010 to April 10 2010, which is eighteen months. Mint 9 LTS, Mint 11 , and Mint 12 are all still supported. Also, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS will be the first LTS that's supported for 5 years on the desktop as well as server.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There hasn't been an official announcement on the Mint blog yet (like we had for 5 & 8 last year), but indeed support for Ubuntu 10.10 has ended. Mint 9 is still supported for another year.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks! I've notified Clem about this.

For the record, Linux Mint 10 was released on November 12th 2010 (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1581).
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Vincent: I have notified Clem as well yesterday. He said people have misunderstood the previous EOL announcements. I suppose he's thinking about writing a better or clearer announcement this time.

After all Mint 10 was a great release.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Unfortunately Mint 12 won't work on my Dual head setup, unless I use XFCE.

-Hinto
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 10's end of support was just announced in the "Latest News" blog post by Clem, here http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1974.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

That's good. I wonder what was confusing about the old release announcements.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think some people thought in panic that their Mint would suddenly stop working right (meaning lost documents, etc.)thought
fraxinus_63

Mint 10 end of life

Post by fraxinus_63 »

When will updates to Mint 10 Julia cease?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 10 end of life

Post by xenopeek »

Topics merged by moderator

Linux Mint 10 is no longer supported; any updates you get from the default repositories at Ubuntu or Linux Mint should cease this month. You may still receives updates from any repositories (PPAs for example) that you have added yourself. See above the link the to blog with announcement on this.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”