Classic mintMenu on Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Classic mintMenu on Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

If you are using Cinnamon on Linux Mint 12, but prefer the classic mintMenu as it was available on Linux Mint 11, dalcde has written an applet you can install on Cinnamon to get that functionality. See here: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/46

You can also use bimsebasse's Cinnamon Extras PPA to easily install it, in one go with a lot of other themes, applets and extensions :wink: See here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=98316

Edit: credit to esteban1uy for bringing the applet and PPA to my attention, and for suggesting it should be stickied here :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
esteban1uy

Re: Classic mintMenu on Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

That applet is amazing!
Take a look at this (click to view fullsize):

mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Great news :D
I am rarely using cinnamon because the lack of " traditional Mint Menu "
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

This should really just replace the current default menu.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I second that. Scrollbars need a little fixing though, but the overall impression is: this is cool. 8)
I saw Clem said "wow!! :))" in the comments to this applet, so maybe... who knows :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yes the scrollbars are merely indicative of vertical overflow at the mo - I think the very early MGSE/Cinnamon menu had the same issue so maybe the solution is the same.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Match this applet with a proper implementation of Mint Classic Cinnamon Theme and you'll get an almost perfect reproduction of the good ol' Gnome2 Mint desktop: no more complaints!!!
Thanks dalcde :D :D :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

And thanks esteban1uy! I've added the credit you deserve as well :mrgreen: I am one happy Cinnamon user 8)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

esteban1uy wrote:Match this applet with a proper implementation of Mint Classic Cinnamon Theme
BTW, have you seen one? I personally think this classic theme is the closest one, but maybe I've missed some similar ones. :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I thought about doing a Mint-Z Cinnamon theme at some point (imitating the window theme and the classic gnome 2 look, not the MGSE theme). The cinnamon-classic theme Monsta links to doesn't look like Gnome 2 at all, at least my Gnome 2 Mint default panel menus were not semi-transparent grey. It just copies the default theme popups and the White theme panel, not much creativity or originality going into it, I don't think it lives up to the name much.
funnyman

Post by funnyman »

I tried it and it didnt work, here is log:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 65, in <module>
if not sp.add_source_from_line(line):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 630, in add_source_from_line
(deb_line, file) = expand_ppa_line(line.strip(), self.distro.codename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 47, in expand_ppa_line
sourceslistd = apt_pkg.Config.find_dir("Dir::Etc::sourceparts")
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Config'
help me please. that ugly menu was a reason for me to give away ubuntu and go for a mint, now I have the same problem... I dont want to give mint away
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

It's only an idea, but it would be interesting to have a "switch users" button in Classic Menu as it is present in the out-of-the-box Gnome shell (Cinnamon's default menu doesn't have it). There are users asking for that: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=99198

As an experiment I did this (I'm sure dalcde can do it much better):

I edited the file /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/classicMenu@dalcde/leftPanel.js to add just a couple of lines:

Code: Select all

addButtons: function(){
	this.label = new St.Label({text: "System", style_class: 'largeBold'});

this.packageItem = new LeftBoxItem(_("Package Manager"), "synaptic", "Util.spawnCommandLine('gksu synaptic')", this.menu, false);
        this.control = new LeftBoxItem(_("Control Center"), "gnome-control-center", "Util.spawnCommandLine('gnome-control-center')", this.menu, false);
        this.terminal = new LeftBoxItem(_("Terminal"), "terminal", "Util.spawnCommandLine('gnome-terminal')", this.menu, false);
        this.lock = new LeftBoxItem(_("Lock"), "gnome-lockscreen", "screenSaverProxy.LockRemote()", this.menu, false);
        this.logout = new LeftBoxItem(_("Logout"), "gnome-logout", "session.LogoutRemote(0)", this.menu, false);
        this.switchusers = new LeftBoxItem(_("Switch Users"), "system-users", "Util.spawnCommandLine('gdmflexiserver --new')", this.menu, false);//<----ADDED LINE
        this.shutdown = new LeftBoxItem(_("Quit"), "gnome-shutdown", "session.ShutdownRemote()", this.menu, false);

this.actor.add(this.label);
        this.actor.add(this.buttons);

this.buttons.add(this.packageItem.actor);
        this.buttons.add(this.control.actor);
        this.buttons.add(this.terminal.actor);
        this.buttons.add(this.lock.actor);
        this.buttons.add(this.logout.actor);
        this.buttons.add(this.switchusers.actor);//<---------ADDED LINE
        this.buttons.add(this.shutdown.actor);
    }
}
Then restarted and voilà... new functionality. So it seems possible.
As I said, it's only an idea.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

esteban1uy wrote:As an experiment I did this (I'm sure dalcde can do it much better):

I edited the file /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/classicMenu@dalcde/leftPanel.js to add just a couple of lines
I hope dalcde will someday make all these System items adjustable in the menu settings (like it was in the old mintMenu) so one would be able to turn each item on and off. :)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

I've posted this on the Cinnamon applet site, but might get quicker help here.
I've used an earlier version on another partition with great success, but I just installed the latest ver. 2.6 on a fresh LMDE - Cinnamon installation, and can't add/delete items from 'favorites'? Can someone point me in the right direction?
I have installed this applet a couple of times with no trouble. But just installed a newer version (2.6) on a brand new LMDE Cinnamon partition. I have it working ok, but can't add/subtract anything from the "Favorites" area? I un-installed and re-installed with no success.

I followed the intructions =
Other users:

Extract the classicMenu@dalcde file to ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets

Then, as root, copy org.cinnamon.applets.classicMenu.gschema.xml to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

Finally, as root, run the command

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
No workie? :?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

You can install dconf-editor and then navigate to org.cinnamon and you'll see an entry named favorite-apps. There you can edit that entry to have the favorites you want.
Or, if you don't want to install dconf-editor, you can use a terminal to get or set the values:

gsettings get org.cinnamon favorite-apps

gsettings set org.cinnamon favorite-apps "['mintInstall.desktop', 'cinnamon-settings.desktop', 'virtualbox.desktop', 'gedit.desktop', 'gnome-screenshot.desktop', 'libreoffice-writer.desktop', 'gnome-system-monitor.desktop', 'gcalctool.desktop']"
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks esteban

I'll do that when I re-install 2.6.
In the mean time I grabbed an earlier version of 'Classic Menu' from another partition of LMDE, and that one lets me configure 'favorites' straight from the menu (right click-add to favorites).
This must be a bug in 2.6.. Or a 'feature'... :lol:

EDIT:
Actually your tip was a big help in re-organizing the 'favorites', in the old Classic Menu as well.
Good Tip.
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

@funnyman

Are you using LMDE?

Your error message looks like one I've seen. You need to make sure that you add the ppa using the correct address. I got a message like that when I tried to add a ppa using the Ubuntu style address, but that won't work with Debian.

ppa:bimsebasse/cinnamonextras
needs to be
You can read about it here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nnamon+ppa

I hope that this helps!
moorewarner

Post by moorewarner »

I agree with the sentiment to just make this the default menu in M13. The current Cinnamon menu has any? advantages, none that I can see. The Mint Menu was actually one of the first details of Mint that gave me a strong preference for Mint.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Let me add another "wow" (like Clem said on his comments for this...lol)....you know, if you take this, and make it the same color as the original mint menu...and add some transparency... it would be the PERFECT default menu for Cinnamon (instead of the current default one)...Then it would look about the same as the original gnome 2 mint menu except on Gnome 3... :D
DeanoBravo2zero

Post by DeanoBravo2zero »

Loving the classic menu, works like a dream and is very fast, but would like to resize the whole overall size of the classic menu to make it larger.

Have tried the right-click on the menu box, menu settings. This only changes the size of the application/categories and favorites icon, Which doesn't work for my cinnamon DE anyhow (don't know if this is because im using the LM13 RC?)

Tried looking in usr/share/cinnamon/applets classMenu@delcde stylesheet.css but it looks to me it only changes the icon that i have just mentioned above?

Anyone know how to do this please?

Thanks
Dean

Return to “Software & Applications”