Install linux Mint Alongside Xp vs. Manual Partitioning?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cordelly

Install linux Mint Alongside Xp vs. Manual Partitioning?

Post by Cordelly »

I was just wondering, will the automatic installer do most of the things the manual partitioning will do? Because all the posts I've seen regard manual partitioning, but is there any need for manual partitioning if I essentially just want LM as my primary OS with XP as a backup of sorts? :?

thx for the help :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: Install linux Mint Alongside Xp vs. Manual Partitioning?

Post by veggen »

Well, the installer will ask if you want to create a partition and provide you with tools to do it. You need a partition to put Mint onto and whether you create it beforehand or during the installation doesn't really matter. The installer can't do this for you for obvious reasons. How would it know where to take space from, what file system to use etc.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Auto install will detect winxp and ask if you want dual boot. Will allow you to resize winxp partition on a slider and make rest linuxmint. Easy as Peasy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
pszkraba

Post by pszkraba »

I tried to install Mint 12 LXDE along side XP and I can't see any auto install options as per the other posts and manual. The only choices I get are "erase the entire disk and install Mint" and "Something else" (manual partition).

Am I missing something?
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

pszkraba

Post by pszkraba »

I can't find the XP disks to do a re-install.

Does that mean that the XP is taking up the whole drive and there is no room to install Mint LXD?
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Windows will be on all the drive. You need to drag the slider from the right over to the left to resize the windows partition
pszkraba

Post by pszkraba »

Sorry, but drag what slider? I don't see any choice to do that on the installation?
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Sorry your having problems but I am afraid I'm going to have to pass on this as it's a bit beyond me. Sorry again
veggen

Post by veggen »

No need to be afraid of manual partitioning. It will offer you a very intuitive way to whatever you need to.
In broad terms, all you should do is cut of a chunk from an existing partition. You can then use it for mounting root ("/") and format it as ext4. All of this is quite intuitive and you learn in the process.
Also, leave a small separate piece (couple of GBs) for swap. This just means you should choose "swap" as file system when asked.
Of course, backup your stuff and pay attention, but this goes for the auto installer as well.

Return to “Software & Applications”