Black Screen Upon Waking

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
FaiT

Black Screen Upon Waking

Post by FaiT »

I have a Satellite A135-S2386
Linux Mint Debian Edition MATE 201204 RC

Here http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba ... 25762.html

Under Ubuntu I added the kernel option "acpi_sleep=nonvs" and it worked but since moving to Linux Mint it doesn't.
I click suspend and it appears to go to sleep. Then I click the power button once and it appears to wake up except all I get is a blank (but backlit) monitor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Black Screen Upon Waking

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
badmofo12345

Post by badmofo12345 »

Ok, I have a possible fix. First thing's first... check to make sure it's just your screen that's blank, and not a fully frozen system. Easiest way to try this is to press the caps lock key on your keyboard, and see if your caps lock light on your laptop responds to it. If the caps lock light responds, then you know it is just the video that is blank. If it doesn't respond, then you know that your whole system is locked up, in which case you can stop reading this post right here, and come back here to let us know that your whole system is locked, rather than just your video being blanked.

If you do the above and you find out that it is indeed just that your screen is blank, try this command and see if it works:

Code: Select all

sudo pm-suspend --quirk-s3-bios --quirk-s3-mode --quirk-vbe-post
That will suspend your system (pm-suspend) and the switches will try quirk fixes (s3-bios and s3-mode are actually enabled by default when you suspend, but the quirk-vbe-post is an additional switch that I'd like you to try).

Your system will begin suspending. When it finishes, go ahead and wake it back up, and see if your video is working. If it didn't work, you'll have to try different quirk fixes (continue reading below). If it worked, you simply need to do the following to make this setting permanent.

sudo nano /usr/lib/pm-utils/video-quirks/20-video-quirk-pm-toshiba.quirkdb 
Substitute nano for whatever text editor you prefer... I like nano, but if you want a graphical text editor, use whatever one you would normally use (gedit for me)

Find the lines that say

match system.hardware.product regex Pro A120|M35X|P100|P200| P205D| A100| A105| A135| A$
   addquirk --quirk-s3-bios
   addquirk --quirk-s3-mode
  endmatch
and modify it to add the quirk fix we tried above so it looks like so:

match system.hardware.product regex Pro A120|M35X|P100|P200| P205D| A100| A105| A135| A$
   addquirk --quirk-s3-bios
   addquirk --quirk-s3-mode
   addquirk --quirk-vbe-post
  endmatch
Make sure you make the formatting match the existing formatting, and that's it, you're done!

If the first pm-suspend command I told you to use didn't work, resume reading below

Ok, now, if the first pm-suspend command I told you to run didn't work, you'll need to try different quirks (and different combinations of quirks).
In a terminal, run the following

sudo pm-suspend --help
That will show you a list of all the different quirks available. You can try different combinations like we did above like so:

sudo pm-suspend --QUIRK1 --QUIRK2 --QUIRK3
Keep tinkering with that until you find a combination that works. Once you find a combination that works, edit the file that we edited above:

sudo nano /usr/lib/pm-utils/video-quirks/20-video-quirk-pm-toshiba.quirkdb 
And add all the quirks to it (under the section that matches your laptop) that worked for you.

So, for instance, if the combination of quirks "--quirk-s3-bios --quirk-s3-mode --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vbestate-restore" worked for you, you'd want to make the above file look like so

addquirk --quirk-s3-bios
   addquirk --quirk-s3-mode
   addquirk --quirk-vbe-post
   addquirk --quirk-vbemode-restore
   addquirk --quirk-vbestate-restore
  endmatch

Hope all this helps.

If you still can't get it to work, check here: http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend
It says to try disabling KMS, which I'm not really sure how to do, so you may want to google that for your specific video card.

It also says that the --quirk-s3-bios switch can cause system lockups (different than blank screen), but I'm not sure how much stock I put into that, since it's enabled by default for your laptop.....

If your computer is fully locked rather than just a blank screen (unresponsive to caps lock like I said way back at the top of this post), it may be worth a try to remove the --quirk-s3-bios switch from /usr/lib/pm-utils/video-quirks/20-video-quirk-pm-toshiba.quirkdb , but if your computer isn't fully locked, I wouldn't mess with that option...
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

Thanks for the detailed reply and I'm sorry it took so long to respond. If I put it asleep and wait for the green light of my power button to turn orange and then Immediately press it, it wakes up ok. If I wait a few seconds to wake it up then black screen. Caps lock is non-functional, I can see a cursor in the top left that blinks for a second then stays solid. I tried removing that command but then the caps lock light blinks rapidly and the screen is off, no backlight.
badmofo12345

Post by badmofo12345 »

If caps lock is not functional, that means it's more than just a video issue, your whole system is hung. Did you try the suggestion from the wiki page about disabling KMS? I'm not really sure how to do that though to be quite honest.

Sorry, if it's not a video quirk, I don't really know where to go next :? . Good luck.
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

I'll sit down and read everything when I have a little more time. Thanks for all the info! :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”