Only VLC has sound...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Only VLC has sound...

Post by boysha »

...but Firefox, Chrome or Rhythmbox so far (that I checked) doesn't give me any sound. I tried to play with sound in System Settings but with no luck.
This happened when I decided to clean install Linux Mint 12. I now have the main distro, 32 bit with Cinnamon 1.4 on ASUS M2N-E with Athlon 6000+ and 4Gig RAM. Like I said, I only have sound working on VLC Player and being that I was so exited to make Linux Mint 12 my main OS, this sound issue is a real downer.
Can someone, please, help me get my sound working on everything?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Only VLC has sound...

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Might be a Pulseaudio related issue. Try this:
In the terminal, type in "pulseaudio -k"
Now check if sound is working.

If sound isn't working after following ^^ type in "pulseaudio -D" in terminal"
Now check if sound is working.

(I use ALSA instead of Pulse since it gives me some high CPU usage issues).
Here's a guide if interested: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70675
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Hi,
I tried both. First didn't do anything and the second one prodused this: Daemon startup failed.
However, all my sound started to work after I had to restart the computer and that was great.
Unfortunatelly there was a power outage and when I had my PC back again the wierdest thing is happening.
One movie on VLC works great, talking about the sound, but other movies are producing this error:
Audio output failed:
The audio device "hw:0,0" could not be used:
Device or resource busy.
Also, non other sound is working on Firefox or Chrome...
Is there a way of really fixing this issue and does anyone know what is the problem?
Thanks!
Neb
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

Okay... I tried to login with MATE and there is definitely something really wrong with SOUND on MINT 12 as I don't have sound anywhere now.
Can someone PLEASE help me fix the sound?
mads

Post by mads »

wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

since you have lost sound everywhere, perhaps you can consider following mads' tutorial to remove pulse audio and replace with alsa.

Link here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ulse+audio
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70675

I do not know if there is a procedure on Mint12.

I seldom have trouble with pulse audio for many distros on many computers, usually sound works out of the box.

However on a few occasions I have no sound at all, and removing pulse audio did the trick
One of those occasions was LMDE-gnome, this was weird, since all along it worked, on reinstallation it did not work.
Another one, just happened today, on new LMDE-201204-xfce-RC iso, sound works on one computer, but no sound everywhere on an old computer ( most other distros have no trouble). upon uninstalling pulse audio and replace with alsa, sound works everywhere.
mads

Post by mads »

wayne128 wrote:since you have lost sound everywhere, perhaps you can consider following mads' tutorial to remove pulse audio and replace with alsa.
I do not know if there is a procedure on Mint12.
No, unfortunately there is not. The OP could try this tutorial (not tested my self):
How to disable PulseAudio on Ubuntu Lucid and Oneiric without uninstalling it

Return to “Other topics”