Spanning video over 3 screens--which edition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zbuffered

Spanning video over 3 screens--which edition

Post by zbuffered »

Hi folks, I've got a setup with 3 1080p monitors mounted next to each other in portrait mode, for a total area of 3240x1920, however I want to set it up with "bezel compensation" (see link) which in Windows is called "Eyefinity" or "Single Large Surface". I want ~175 "pixels" of the total virtual screen to be between each monitor to compensate for the bezels around each monitor.

Basically, I'll tweak this setting until I can get a diagonal line across all three monitors that lines up with a ruler.

I'm setting this up to play video across all three screens.

I've gotten it working on my ATI card in Ubuntu using the proprietary fglrx driver, however I have a problem with 12.04 where applications won't maximize across all monitors. I previously had this working in 11.10. I think it's Unity's fault (and my fault that I can't work with Unity).

Here's my xorg.conf file which shows a virtual display surface of 3596x1920:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/928594/

I just want a setup where I can turn the machine on and have it autoplay a video file across all three monitors with bezel compensation.

I'm more than willing to try the different editions of Mint, but if there are suggestions of which one might be my best bet, I'd appreciate it! Also if there is a better forum for this post, feel free to move it there.
-ZB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Spanning video over 3 screens--which edition

Post by äxl »

zbuffered wrote:which one might be my best bet, I'd appreciate it!
I wouldn't use LMDE because it's initially based on Debian testing EDIT: ... and there are some issues with the kernel and graphics and modules ...
Try Mint 12 Lisa with Gnome 3 or Cinnamon as Desktop Environment first I suggest. Or wait for 13 Maya which should come out end of April and is also based on Ubuntu.

Are you also looking for help with your xorg.conf or did you just want to brag about it? ;)
Last edited by äxl on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zbuffered

Re: Spanning video over 3 screens--which edition

Post by zbuffered »

Of the two options, I guess I just wanted to brag :D

Thanks for the advice. I'll get started Monday, this is a work thing. Happy weekend!

Return to “LMDE Archive”