Desktop launcher icons?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lwrver

Desktop launcher icons?

Post by lwrver »

I have never used xfce, but would like to try it. I can't find an easy way to add launcher icons to the desktop. Traditionally I place icons for the applications I use most right on the desktop, such as Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. A fresh install has several icons already installed there, but i can't find a way to add the others. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: Desktop launcher icons?

Post by ukbrian »

I think the easiest way is to start up thunar and go to /usr/share/applications and copy/paste the ones you want to your desktop
lwrver

Re: (Solved) Desktop launcher icons?

Post by lwrver »

Thanks ukbrian. That's the clue I needed. Funny that I couldn't find any previous references regarding this issue. I appreciate your help.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

The Easy way

1. drag and drop from application finder onto desktop
2.right click on empty desktop and select from (right click) menu create launcher. **Can make bookmarks also** :wink:
3. can drag drop from main menu onto desktop (not sure if with LMDE version yet)

unfortunatlly you can't arange icons on desktop (auto arange only)unles in panel :wink: next version .4.10 has this feature.

J.Jay
lwrver

Post by lwrver »

Thanks for the follow up JJ. Guess I'm just spoiled to Gnome, where I just right click from the app menu and select "add to desktop". :)

Return to “Xfce”