Another black screen

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Another black screen

Post by Mister.T »

Hello Guys.

I have a black screen and flashing curser issue.

I am running LMDE 64 bit tracking "Stable". Unfortunately I have just followed some advice with regard to getting Google Earth graphic to work properly.
I installed this: nvidia-glx-ia32

Previously, this is what has been working without fault for ages: apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig

I have tried to reinstall the above from recovery command line to no avail. please help.

I am aware that I can stick in a live disk and recover all my files to another drive but my system was set up so well that I don't want to have to do it all again.

Steve.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645
äxl

Re: Another black screen

Post by äxl »

Mister.T wrote:I installed this: nvidia-glx-ia32
The problem occured after you installed this? Why don't you remove it?
badmofo12345

Post by badmofo12345 »

All you did was install nvidia-glx-ia32 ?

The problem is that the nvidia-glx-ia32 package is only the x video driver and user space libraries... you MUST also install the nvidia kernel module... and you MUST update the nvidia kernel module every time you upgrade your kernel or upgrade your nvidia-glx package.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDr ... ee_drivers

Go there, and follow the directions for "the debian way".

Step 1.) Install the Kernel module
Step 2.) Install the user space libraries and x video driver

You did step 2, but you never did step 1... that's your problem.

Also, it should go without saying, but do you have an nvidia graphics card? Because if you don't, then you shouldn't be trying to install nvidia drivers.
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mister.T »

äxl wrote:
Mister.T wrote:I installed this: nvidia-glx-ia32
The problem occured after you installed this? Why don't you remove it?

During the instalation my original video driver was removed. I presume that i would be left with no driver at all installed.

I've now tried to retrieve my home page files with a live cd but cannotaccess these files. So to use an old English Colloquialism at the momoent i am completely "Bollocksed".
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
Nvidia GTX 645
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mister.T »

badmofo12345 wrote:All you did was install nvidia-glx-ia32 ?

The problem is that the nvidia-glx-ia32 package is only the x video driver and user space libraries... you MUST also install the nvidia kernel module... and you MUST update the nvidia kernel module every time you upgrade your kernel or upgrade your nvidia-glx package.

Also, it should go without saying, but do you have an nvidia graphics card? Because if you don't, then you shouldn't be trying to install nvidia drivers.

Of coarse i have an NVIDIA card
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
Nvidia GTX 645
äxl

Post by äxl »

Mister.T wrote:During the instalation my original video driver was removed. I presume that i would be left with no driver at all installed.

Code: Select all

~ $ apt-cache show nvidia-glx-ia32
Depends: libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32
Description-en: NVIDIA 32-bit libraries (transitional package)
 This is a dummy package to aid switching to
 libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32.
Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com
Section: non-free/oldlibs
This a proprietary driver. I'm guessing X would fallback to it's own drivers especially if the xorg.conf is missing. Unless this dkms method makes it impossible or you removed xserver-xorg-video-... drivers.
I've now tried to retrieve my home page files with a live cd but cannotaccess these files. So to use an old English Colloquialism at the momoent i am completely "Bollocksed".
:D Either you have to chroot into your filesystem or if your home is encrypted: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p566489
badmofo12345

Post by badmofo12345 »

Mister.T wrote:
badmofo12345 wrote:All you did was install nvidia-glx-ia32 ?

Of coarse i have an NVIDIA card
That's why I said "it should go without saying". Just making sure, not everyone is clear on what they should be doing.

Anyway, I hope that isn't all you took away from that post... the answer is there. Go to the page I linked, and follow one of the other methods. If the DKMS method didn't work, one of the others will. I've had success with the make assistant method too, and it's fairly easy. Try that one.

Also, do you have kernel headers installed? Don't forget that they must be installed before trying the DKMS method or it won't work right.

Return to “LMDE Archive”